Where is MacPhail headed this off season?

wildcard

The short answer is - I don't think we know.

We know his long term direction. Tillman, Matusz, Arrieta and Guthrie in the rotation, Nick and Adam in the OF and Wieters behind the plate. None of the three minor league pitchers are likely to start 2009 in the majors and if what we saw this year continues to be the philosophy (a fairly good bet) then they will not be in the majors for most if not all of 2009.

So what does MacPhail do this off season? Trade Huff, Roberts, Mora, and or Scott? Or does he extend Huff and Roberts. Keep Scott, and maybe even keep Mora for another year. My guess is - it depends on what he is offered. If he can get a major building block for the future then any of these guys could go.

So if the makeup of the 2009 team is in that much flux, how can anyone even guess what will happen with Montanez, Reimold, Salazar, or Millar. Without knowing what will happen to some of the major offensive producers of 2008 it is a huge guessing game to go the next level and project what will happen with lesser players.

MacPhail will try to trade Ramon. That is pretty certain. Millar, Castro and Payton will go FA. The first two are in play to possibly return, depending on how other major pieces work out.

MacPhail needs to add some short term starting help for 2009. But that is probably a secondary focus to adding additional long term players.

I believe that until MacPhail figures out what the market is for Huff, Roberts, Mora and Scott we will not know where this off season is headed. We know he holds a high value on his current assets. If someone wants help to win in 2009, MacPhail will want real value for the future in return. How much and who will take a while for even MacPhail to figure out.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mora has zero chance of being extended a year during this offseason IMO. I'll be shocked and disappointed if that happens.

Mora's contract hasn't been an albatross as so many thought it would be, but next year is it unless he wants to take a dramatic cut in pay.

Millar is in the same situation IMO. No way he is here unless he is making 1 mil or less and willing to be a bench guy.

I can see how you read that to say extend Mora, but that is not what I meant. I meant extend Huff and Roberts. Keep Scott, and maybe keep Mora for next year. Mora's contract being down to one year plus his production this year makes him tradable. He has said in the past that he will waive his NTC under the right conditions. So I think it is up in the air that he will be an Oriole next year if some team offers the O's a decent long term player in trade and Melvin likes the offering team enough to approve the trade.

On Millar, alot depends on what they do with Huff. If they trade him, and don't sign Tex(highly unlikely the O's sign Tex), then Millar may return.

(I adjusted the original post to avoid confusion)

Mora has zero chance of being extended a year during this offseason IMO. I'll be shocked and disappointed if that happens.
I can see how you read that to say extend Mora, but that is not what I meant. I meant extend Huff and Roberts. Keep Scott, and maybe keep Mora for next year. Mora's contract being down to one year plus his production this year makes him tradable. He has said in the past that he will waive his NTC under the right conditions.

In case anyone has forgotten, the Orioles have a club option on Mora for 2010. My recollection is that his NTC does not apply during the option year. I don't expect the Orioles to exercise the option, but wanted to remind everyone that it's there.

If he performed well next year, I could imagine the Orioles bringing Mora back for 2010 at a reduced salary. However, I'm not sure Melvin's ego would allow it.

Best case scenario (with guys we already have... no FAs):

Roberts 2b

Jones CF

Markakis RF

Huff 1b

Mora 3b

Scott DH

Wieters C

Montanez LF

Castro SS

-------------

Salazar

Fahey

Reimold

Quiroz/Ramon

Guthrie

Patten

Olson

Liz

Burres

Ray - CP

Sherrill

JJ

Sarfate

Kam

Walker

Albers

If AM can add two starters, Burnette and Garland and at least one reliever, trade Ramon and add an ML SS either Greene or Hardy we will have made major improvement. The Teixeira bidding war could go either way. Would he help us? Of course but is he worth upsetting our salary structure? What will Nick or BRob (if not traded) be worth if you give Teix $18 million+? As much as it's easy to dislike Giambi he is a free agent and could provide left handed power for a couple of years being a DH or 1B. What kind of contract will he command. He hit his 30th HR the other day and probably won't return to NY. Would he go back to Oakland? He hits well at OP and likes the East from what I have heard. I don't think he will get more than $10 million a year. I could be wrong but he is on the down side of his career like Byrd who I would take if we can't get Garland. We need a part time catcher like one of the Molina's to come in for a few years to platoon in case Wieters doesn't come up in 09. The staff will prosper without Ramon and we will have less passed balls for sure and hopefully less stolen bases against us.

None of the above is difficult for AM. The question is can we eliminate Ramon, Castillo, Cherry, Cintron, Payton, Cabrera, Burres and Walker? I am confident none of these players will be back. Olson? It depends on Spring Training. AM will not sit still or he will lose all credibility.

If AM can add two starters, Burnette and Garland and at least one reliever, trade Ramon and add an ML SS either Greene or Hardy we will have made major improvement. The Teixeira bidding war could go either way. Would he help us? Of course but is he worth upsetting our salary structure? What will Nick or BRob (if not traded) be worth if you give Teix $18 million+? As much as it's easy to dislike Giambi he is a free agent and could provide left handed power for a couple of years being a DH or 1B. What kind of contract will he command. He hit his 30th HR the other day and probably won't return to NY. Would he go back to Oakland? He hits well at OP and likes the East from what I have heard. I don't think he will get more than $10 million a year. I could be wrong but he is on the down side of his career like Byrd who I would take if we can't get Garland. We need a part time catcher like one of the Molina's to come in for a few years to platoon in case Wieters doesn't come up in 09. The staff will prosper without Ramon and we will have less passed balls for sure and hopefully less stolen bases against us.

None of the above is difficult for AM. The question is can we eliminate Ramon, Castillo, Cherry, Cintron, Payton, Cabrera, Burres and Walker? I am confident none of these players will be back. Olson? It depends on Spring Training. AM will not sit still or he will lose all credibility.

I think Walker will get every chance to make the team next year. No one will want him in trade and his contract is too big of the O's to ignore.

About 95 percent of what he does this offseason should involve pitching. Trading for it, (Huff, Roberts, Scott, R. Hernandez, Mora if he'll go) making waiver claims for it, picking a rule V eligible pitcher, combing the independent leagues for it and anything else they can think of. For the lineup they have Markakis, Wieters and Jones. They can do whatever they want to fill out the rest but no long-term, big money contracts (not far enough along in the rebuilding process for that) and no big trades for position players.

About 95 percent of what he does this offseason should involve pitching. Trading for it, (Huff, Roberts, Scott, R. Hernandez, Mora if he'll go) making waiver claims for it, picking a rule V eligible pitcher, combing the independent leagues for it and anything else they can think of. For the lineup they have Markakis, Wieters and Jones. They can do whatever they want to fill out the rest but no long-term, big money contracts (not far enough along in the rebuilding process for that) and no big trades for position players.

Boy do I hope we don't follow this plan.

Ignoring the positional talent is a good way to screw us long term.

Boy do I hope we don't follow this plan.

Ignoring the positional talent is a good way to screw us long term.

Interesting comment.

If they extend Roberts and Huff they will be addressing (in part) the position players. If they trade either or both then they need to get replacement position players.

As it turned out this year the positon players were the strength of the team.

Interesting comment.

If they extend Roberts and Huff they will be addressing (in part) the position players. If they trade either or both then they need to get replacement position players.

As it turned out this year the positon players were the strength of the team.

Yes position players were the strength of the team, but Roberts and Huff could be gone after the season, Hernandez is not a strength, SS is an abyss, and Mora is in decline. Scott is a place holder for the most part, and there is no viable DH on the roster for next year.

I think we should go after pitching in every aspect, but if position players are available you need to take them.

Word is Rasmus may be available for cheaper this summer?

Archived