Keegan Akin likes violently racist tweet

interloper

2 hours ago, Spl51 said:

I have liked tweets dozens of times accidentally without even knowing I did it until I look back at my liked tweets. It's really easy to like a tweet when you are just scrolling.

The response should be based on Akin. If he says it was an accident, it's over and we move on.  If he comes out and says he liked it on purpose and agrees with the sentiment, then some kind of response from the organization is necessary.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, atomic said:

Yet you were very upset when the Orioles signed Deleon Young. Seems pretty hypocritical of you that you don’t want Akin released.

We don't have the slightest idea if Akin really liked the tweet, or if it was an accident. Delmon Young clearly and obviously did things that were very wrong.

You're equating potentially hitting a button on a phone related to ugly speech with actually committing a crime.  Or at least you're pretending to on the internet to stir up responses.

• Upvote 1

I just looked at the entire thread and timeline of the person who posted it.  I will not post the tweet so as not to stir the pot.

This person has only tweeted 37 times and their first tweet is a retweet of what appears to be a threat:

why did you like this blatantly-racist post back in 16’? It would be a shame if your employer found out

I am just trying to add some context to the discussion.

6 minutes ago, cboemmeljr said:

I just looked at the entire thread and timeline of the person who posted it.  I will not post the tweet so as not to stir the pot.

This person has only tweeted 37 times and their first tweet is a retweet of what appears to be a threat:

why did you like this blatantly-racist post back in 16’? It would be a shame if your employer found out

I’m confused.    Did this happen in 2016, or now?    I’m not adept with twitter and wouldn’t know how to find out that someone liked a tweet.    

My general feeling is I’d like to know the context.    Obviously the team should investigate.    

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, cboemmeljr said:

My question is why would anyone be looking at Akin's twitter likes from four years ago?

I have to assume they had some motivation to do so, and the wording of the post sounds like a threat.

Of course that doesn't change primary discussion.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I’m confused.    Did this happen in 2016, or now?    I’m not adept with twitter and wouldn’t know how to find out that someone liked a tweet.    

My general feeling is I’d like to know the context.    Obviously the team should investigate.    

The tweet that is causing the uproar is from 2016.  

Someone (the person I quoted) found it and tweeted a pic of the 2016 tweet.

It has been shared (retweeted) by some one who has the name of "racism watch".  That person just joined Twitter this month and their first tweet was to share the tweet and pic of the 2016 tweet..

Hopefully that clears some things up.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

My question is why would anyone be looking at Akin's twitter likes from four years ago?

I have to assume they had some motivation to do so, and the wording of the post sounds like a threat.

You are right @Can of Corn  Why the search of old tweets and what is the true motivation.?  I agree that it doesn't change the primary discussion however.

29 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I would not be surprised if it wasn’t a person specifically looking at Akin’s internet history from four years ago, rather a program run by an entity that scrubs data on all of the blue checks.  The discussion of who and why isn’t appropriate for OH.  So I’ll leave it there. That’s where my money would be.  If it is an individual targeting Akin specifically, then I’d love to know the back story.

• Upvote 1

As to how to do this, it's very simple to do as someone pointed out. 

But I think eviscerating these guys for stuff they did on the internet when they were kids is going too far.  Look at what happened to Josh Hader for quoting rap song lyrics.  I employed his best friend and met Josh a few times.  His best friend is a person of color.  No racist vibes ever came from Hader, yet he gets hung out to dry during the All-Star game by someone reporting tweets he made back in high school.  

I don't know about you guys, but since then, I've grown as a person.  Hell, I've grown as a person since Covid-19 hit.  My opinions on the things going on in our country right now have changed.  It's a bit unfair to pull those things into the light and cause someone to lose their job.  

If it happened a month or two ago?  Fair game.  But not four-plus years.  

• Upvote 3

I wouldn't be surprised if he saw the twat before his that said something about 'trucks ain't clean' or he meant to like the response to the original twat from the chick Marissa.  

Either way, whatever.  I have enough chit going on in my life that this is all garbage.  Anyone who spends their time on Twatter is just wasting it.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, MongoBoy said:

I wouldn't be surprised if he saw the twat before his that said something about 'trucks ain't clean' or he meant to like the response to the original twat.

I'm sorry to derail, but I'm dying over "twat" ??

• Haha 1

What kind of world is this that someone digs up a racist tweet from 4 years ago and calls out the only person that has anything close to a public image who liked it?  Also, freedom of speech only applies if you agree with it?  I dont like the use of that word by anyone, however, the use of words here is what gets criticized rather than someone being angry over the killing of police officers?

Im pretty sure I crossed the line of political discussion, but some times I cant just help myself.  Remove if necessary. 

• Thanks 1