2020 1st Round: Heston Kjerstad, OF

https://arkansasrazorbacks.com/roster/heston-kjerstad/

https://www.mlb.com/news/heston-kjerstad-draft-prospect-arkansas

MLB.com

A 36th-round pick by the Mariners as a Texas high schooler in 2017, Kjerstad teamed with fellow top prospect Casey Martin to lead Arkansas to back-to-back College World Series appearances in their first two years of college. His 14 homers in 2018 broke the school freshman record of 13 set by eventual first-rounder Zack Cox in 2009, and Kjerstad encored with 17 as a sophomore. He offers the best left-handed power in the 2020 college class and only potential No. 1 overall pick Spencer Torkelson has more pop among collegians. Kjerstad's strength and bat speed give him well above-average raw power to all fields. He has a complicated swing that features a big hand circle in his load, so he has to be precise with his timing to make it work -- but he has done so in college and was the top performer in the U.S. collegiate team's lineup last summer. He's an aggressive hitter who always will accumulate strikeouts as a tradeoff for his pop. Though Kjerstad records below-average running times out of the batter's box, he displays average speed once he gets going. He's not a threat on the bases but plays a capable right field. His huge power and solid arm strength fit the profile for the position.

Fangraphs

TLDR

Prototypical college corner bat with plus raw power that looks like he'll hit enough to be an everyday guy. Played a lot of 1B in the fall but likely stays in RF this spring and in pro ball.

Full Report

Kjerstad has performed against the best pitching in the country since he set foot on campus, and in 150 career games with Arkansas he hit .343/.421/.590, including a white hot .448/.513/.791 in 2020, during which Kjerstad hit in all sixteen games he played. He's kept his big, 6-foot-3 frame lean and speedy during that time, relevant for the corner-only prospect because Kjerstad puts a lot of balls in play down both baselines and runs well enough to turn them all into extra bases. He can drop the bat head and lift balls at his knees, and also get on top of pitches at the top of the zone. It's plus bat control on a somewhat odd-looking swing. If there are concerns about Kjerstad's cut, I'm not hearing them, they're drowned out by how well he's performed. He may have been about to have a year like J.J. Bleday's 2019 in which he clearly establishes himself as the most reliable tier 2 college hitter in the draft, and teams in the top 10 may view him as such.

In Elias We Trust

• Upvote 1

I would have rather drafted Nick Gonzalez, but Elias is paid to do this.  I can;t see him going for signability at #2, so he must think that Kjerstad is the 2nd best player in the draft.  Interesting that the "best player in the draft" Martin, fell all the way to #5.  There must be more questions about his glove.  Don't want another Mountcastle.  I hope it works out.  We'll know in a few years.

14 minutes ago, SouthRider said:

I love this pick.  This kid hits for average with elite power and is left handed. He also has a strong arm, loves the game, and appears to be a hard worker.   Honestly, I  don't see any negatives.  

Negatives: Doesn't walk enough, limited to corner outfield, not named Austin Martin. 

This kid is a slugger from Arkansas. From what I have seen from Heston, he has "raw" power and strength. I saw this Today in Sports article here, https://prosportsoutlook.com/today-in-sports-june-11-2020/ and it has all of the latest MLB Draft headlines on it. I also agree that I do not see any negatives with this pick. He is a hybrid, L/R, hitter and thrower. Kjerstad has a lot to offer and is a great addition.