Early 2021 Top Draft Prospects

On 5/18/2021 at 1:56 PM, jabba72 said:

Jackson Jobe, RH High school pitcher is now ranked 6th on Jim Bowdens list on the Athletic. 1-5 are Leiter, Lawler, Rocker, Mayer and Davis. He calls a Davis a future .270, 20-25 HR catcher, which I was hoping for more. Brady House is 8th, says he doesn't have the same hit tool as Kris Bryant did. 

Is that Kris Bryant HS Sr. or college Jr.?

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/draft/

Latest MLB.com rankings 

1 hour ago, waroriole said:

House or Watson are fine with me. Like SG said, I’m a little concerned with the Vandy boys. I assume that they, along with Lawlar and Mayer will be gone at 5. 

I'm very happy that the top of this draft has largely gone from the two Vandy pitchers to something more along the lines of 5 or 6 guys who are all roughly equivalent. Should be able to come away with a good pick.

New mock from Mayo. I really love Mayer and Davis. Would Elias even take Leiter?  

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-mock-draft-2021-may-19?t=mlb-draft-coverage

1. Pirates: Marcelo Mayer, SS, Eastlake HS (Chula Vista, Calif.)
The Pirates seem to have seven players still in the mix here and Mayer, who scouts have extreme confidence will hit, is right in the middle of that conversation.

2. Rangers: Jordan Lawlar, SS, Jesuit Prep (Dallas)
The Mayer vs. Lawlar debate is one that could continue for years and the Rangers can take their pick of the one the Pirates don’t take if they so choose (and if they don’t like the college options still on the board).

3. Tigers: Henry Davis, C, Louisville
He’s separated himself as by far the best college bat in the class, the chance to stick behind the plate doesn’t hurt, and he's also in that mix for the Pirates at the very top.

4. Red Sox: Brady House, SS, Winder-Barrow HS (Winder, Ga.)
He might be able to stick at shortstop and even if he can’t, adjustments he’s made at the plate have allowed him to show off his immense raw power more consistently.

5. Orioles: Jack Leiter, RHP, Vanderbilt
Some were concerned after he was scratched from a May 8 start, but he came back strong with 13 strikeouts against Ole Miss, meaning there’s a very good chance the O’s won’t have the opportunity to take him.

6. D-backs: Kumar Rocker, RHP, Vanderbilt
The D-backs likely didn’t think they’d have the chance to get either Vandy pitcher here, and Rocker’s name is all over the top five, but it would be hard to pass up on his arm strength here.

23 hours ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

What does this mean?

I think there is a fair chance that Elias does not take Leiter. There is a lot of effort in his delivery, no matter the pedigree or how well-coached he is. His frame is not ideal, but he his legs are very strong. Rocker is another big risk profile, but for different reasons. If Mayo's first four picks play out, Elias may well make a surprise under slot like James Wood.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/2021-draft-notebook-setting-the-odds-for-1-1/

Kevin Goldstein with an overview as of this morning.    If it came down to Rocker v. House at 1-5, boy will that be an edge of your seat moment demographically for do we hope for sooner or later, and for what position $$$$ eventually flows to if Adley and company ever earn augmentation.

I'm glad the Vandy guys have shown enough chinks in the armor to maybe get in the mix - it's certainly pleasanter to picture the Late 2022 roster with one of them rather than a prep maybe going for Sally MVP.   

It seems Green is full Sophomore Strasburg hype by now.

23 hours ago, OrioleDog said:

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/2021-draft-notebook-setting-the-odds-for-1-1/

Kevin Goldstein with an overview as of this morning. 

Interesting article. Thanks for posting.  This stuck out like a sore thumb.  Oh no.  Not again.

Two names generating particular buzz are outfielders Sal Frelick (Boston College) and Colton Cowser (Sam Houston State).... The talk isn’t being generated by their play on the field as much as it is the people in the seats behind home plate, as multiple sources have noted high-level executives, including general managers with picks in the top six, bearing down on the duo. If teams focus on their concerns about the top talents, Frelick and Cowser could turn into potential early-pick money savers in order to redistribute big bonus pools further down the line.

1 hour ago, Ruzious said:

To me, if Rocker's there at 5, he's the pick.  I think he's answered all questions and appears to be as major league ready as you're going to find.  Just keep it simple, and pick him.       

I agree with this.  We should be so lucky that he falls to 5.  Don't get cute!

3 hours ago, Ruzious said:

To me, if Rocker's there at 5, he's the pick.  I think he's answered all questions and appears to be as major league ready as you're going to find.  Just keep it simple, and pick him.       

2 hours ago, Hazmat said:

I agree with this.  We should be so lucky that he falls to 5.  Don't get cute!

Agreed. I think if he makes it to five, Elias should thank his lucky stars and submit the card.