Early 2021 Top Draft Prospects

2 hours ago, Hazmat said:

I agree with this.  We should be so lucky that he falls to 5.  Don't get cute!

Right, please don't go the under-slot route this time.  We'd have to go through another year of sarcastic witticisms from CoC - that's reason enough to just go best player available. j/k   I get why they did it last year, but it's too risky a strategy to use 2 years in a row, when you really can't afford to miss - and you have a stud there ready to pick.      

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Ruzious said:

Right, please don't go the under-slot route this time.  We'd have to go through another year of sarcastic witticisms from CoC - that's reason enough to just go best player available. j/k   I get why they did it last year, but it's too risky a strategy to use 2 years in a row, when you really can't afford to miss - and you have a stud there ready to pick.      

Also, it seems like some of the benefit may be eroded at 5 vs. 2

5. Baltimore Orioles: Harry Ford, C, North Cobb (GA) High School

The current wisdom is that Baltimore will look to cut a deal here that saves them a substantial amount of money, probably a million or more, after they signed their first pick in 2019, Heston Kjerstad, for $2.5 million below slot. They’ve been linked to Brady House, but he has no reason to take that kind of haircut here, since he’s in every mix from here on down.

From Keith Law. Has us skipping Watson, House, Leiter and Jobe to pick Ford. 

I know some of the luster has worn off Leiter and Rocker, but if either are available at 5, I want one of them, but I'm not optimistic, they've gone position player heavy early in the last two drafts. In the end, I'll be happy as long as they go with who they truly feel is best player on the board. 

8 hours ago, jamalshw said:

I know some of the luster has worn off Leiter and Rocker, but if either are available at 5, I want one of them, but I'm not optimistic, they've gone position player heavy early in the last two drafts. In the end, I'll be happy as long as they go with who they truly feel is best player on the board. 

50/50 shot on that

On 5/27/2021 at 8:27 AM, jabba72 said:

5. Baltimore Orioles: Harry Ford, C, North Cobb (GA) High School

The current wisdom is that Baltimore will look to cut a deal here that saves them a substantial amount of money, probably a million or more, after they signed their first pick in 2019, Heston Kjerstad, for $2.5 million below slot. They’ve been linked to Brady House, but he has no reason to take that kind of haircut here, since he’s in every mix from here on down.

From Keith Law. Has us skipping Watson, House, Leiter and Jobe to pick Ford. 

To give a little more color on Law's first mock, he has Pittsburgh taking Davis 1-1 (the ACC Tournament started on Tuesday and Davis went 2-5 with 2 HR's in a win against Clemson, and 3-7 with a HR in yesterday's loss to Georgia Tech). Here's what he wrote on Leiter being selected by Arizona, one pick after us:

6. Arizona Diamondbacks: Jack Leiter, RHP, Vanderbilt

They’d love Lawlar, and I would say there’s a non-zero chance he gets here; if Texas takes Rocker or Leiter and Boston takes the other, that probably pushes Lawlar here, with Baltimore likely going under slot.