Would you attend games at Camden Yards this summer.

atomic

Would you go to a game at Camden Yards this year  

103 members have voted

1. 1. If they limited the number of fans to have groups 6 feet apart would you attend a game this year

6 hours ago, cboemmeljr said:

I'm not thinking I am going to go.  I come at this from the perspective of a laboratory worker in one of the region's bigger health system and I perform the Covid-19 testing.  I am aware of all of our system's numbers and yes, numbers are up as more and more testing is available state-wide but my experience shows a good degree of positive cases in the metro area.  I also see what the virus does to those hospitalized.

My concern surrounds those who seem to think all is okay now that some restrictions are lifted.  Masks not only protect those around you but yourself as well.  Life may never return to the "normal" we experienced before March 2020 but I think it is way too soon to be in large groups, no matter how spread out they are and it will be a daunting task for OPACY workers to keep all common area clean and sanitized.

Thank you for what you do and for your observations.    

• Upvote 2

So testing company in California says 80 percent of people who test positive don't have symptoms.  That also correlates to the cruise ship that was infected badly where over 80 percent of the people on board who tested positive did not have symptoms.  This is what makes me feel less worried about attending events with social distancing. 

• Upvote 1

My concern stems from this;  in my experience our Medical System has an algorithm that relates to how we do the testing and treat the patients.  MANY of the patients presenting to our ER are tested and sent home to self quarantine.  Maybe they do, maybe they don't.  A good number of them come back as Covid-19 positive,  If they haven't self quarantined, they could infect MULTIPLE people.  That is what I am worried about in going to "large" gatherings.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, cboemmeljr said:

My concern stems from this;  in my experience our Medical System has an algorithm that relates to how we do the testing and treat the patients.  MANY of the patients presenting to our ER are tested and sent home to self quarantine.  Maybe they do, maybe they don't.  A good number of them come back as Covid-19 positive,  If they haven't self quarantined, they could infect MULTIPLE people.  That is what I am worried about in going to "large" gatherings.

Would your concern extend to large open-air environments with plenty of room to spread out and conscientious use of a mask, hand sanitizer, etc.?  The number and proximity of other people would certainly impact my willingness to go to OPACY, but in the end I think would be lot more comfortable in a outdoor stadium at less than half capacity than in an indoor bar or restaurant at a sit-down meal (for example).

17 hours ago, cboemmeljr said:

I'm not thinking I am going to go.  I come at this from the perspective of a laboratory worker in one of the region's bigger health system and I perform the Covid-19 testing.  I am aware of all of our system's numbers and yes, numbers are up as more and more testing is available state-wide but my experience shows a good degree of positive cases in the metro area.  I also see what the virus does to those hospitalized.

My concern surrounds those who seem to think all is okay now that some restrictions are lifted.  Masks not only protect those around you but yourself as well.  Life may never return to the "normal" we experienced before March 2020 but I think it is way too soon to be in large groups, no matter how spread out they are and it will be a daunting task for OPACY workers to keep all common area clean and sanitized.

I have read that this novel coronavirus causes extensive damage to lungs, far greater than caused by common influenzas. Additionally, it appears that most common influenza deaths are caused by secondary bacterial infection -- specifically pneumonia caused by Streptococcus -- as opposed to the coronavirus itself causing deathAre you able to share your knowledge about the differences between the common flus and SARS CoV-2

• Upvote 1

I won't be going to Camden Yards in the near future period.  Living in NC, I had planned out several minor league games this year in Greensboro, Winston-Salem, Charlotte, Durham, Hickory, Kannapolis, and Asheville.  There are a few more minor league towns that I just don't see us traveling to (mostly eastern part of the state).  I had early April tickets reserved with the hopes of seeing AR with Delmarva.  I would still go to minor league games this summer.  But I won't have the chance since they are cancelled.  :(

7 minutes ago, Chuck A said:

I won't be going to Camden Yards in the near future period.  Living in NC, I had planned out several minor league games this year in Greensboro, Winston-Salem, Charlotte, Durham, Hickory, Kannapolis, and Asheville.  There are a few more minor league towns that I just don't see us traveling to (mostly eastern part of the state).  I had early April tickets reserved with the hopes of seeing AR with Delmarva.  I would still go to minor league games this summer.  But I won't have the chance since they are cancelled.  :(

Do they still play in Kinston?

1 hour ago, backwardsk said:

Do they still play in Kinston?

I'm not sure.  I seen a game there a number of years ago (when they were still an Indians farm team) but haven't noticed them on any Birds' affiliates schedule. 

Fun fact from my minor league park hopping:

Last year was the last as the Kannapolis Intimidators (built a new stadium and a new name), seen Drew Rom pitch a gem.  I was the only one in a crowd of maybe 300 cheering for anybody, and obviously it was the visiting Shorebirds.  Anyway, they had one of Earnhardt's cars there on the concourse which got hit at least 3 times by foul balls during the game.  It was the only times that the other fans even groaned.  You could hear the ballplayers talking in the on-deck circle.  I sat at the Shorebirds dugout nearest the circle and had conversations during the game with several youngsters.  I'm an observer and let them know the starter was tipping his pitches with a slight hitch in his hands during the wind-up. 

From Washington Post today:

The difference between catching covid and dying is so stark the older you get, it’s important to recognize that,” said Carl Heneghan, director of the Center for Evidence-Based Medicine at Oxford University. In the U.K., there’s been “virtually no excess death” for people under age 45 since the pandemic began, he said.

Another wrinkle: People who have little history of viral infections tend to have more severe reactions when they get infected later in life.

“You have to try and stay healthy, get fit,” Heneghan said. “If you’ve got diabetes, you’ve got to lose weight and moderate that. If you do all those things, your risk of dying is small, or very small.