NEW 60 GAME Proposal [Baseball is Back!]

weams

44 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

Why do the owners believe the players have a legit grievance claim that they need them to waive the right to file it?

Legit or not, it'd be another black eye and be an expense the owners would rather not have to worry about.  From my understanding, some on the players side are chomping at the bit for a 'deal' to finally be worked out so they can file a grievance.  Why should the owners agree to such a deal with MLBPA without an understanding that further litigation won't take place?

9 hours ago, OrioleDog said:

It will be interesting to see if 16 playoff teams ever gets put down once it is picked up for this emergency.

Curious to see if it will end up as simple as 15 x 4 in your division?  

Assume travel prohibits a balanced schedule, but if there were interdivisional play among AL and NL clubs, I'd be tempted to say at a 60-game season, do it pre-divisional old school and just have a World Series.  The Dodgers would ruin that over 162, but somebody could perhaps keep up for 60.  Give ESPN and/or MLB a national game all September - I'd love to get to see if ratings over 10-14 intense days building up to "The Giants Win The Pennant" could beat Best of 3 and Best of 5 stuff between the Yankees and Rangers.

The answer is no. In the most recent proposal it’s good for 2020 and 2021. You can bet that means it’s coming in the next CBA. Baseball is soon to change. The playoff structure will look more like the NBA’s and NHL’s, where better than 50% of the league gets in.

The players said "just give us full prorated salaries and tell us when and where".

Clark and Manfred FINALLY got together face to face and figured that out. Now the players still aren't happy. Seems to me like they are moving the goal line. Come on!

• Upvote 3

On 6/15/2020 at 5:22 PM, BohKnowsBmore said:

I don’t think that’s a fair portrayal that keeps opinion out of it at all. Maybe literally accurate, but definitely skewed to make one side look better. Could easily add, “but we can sue you if any of us get sick” to the end of the players’ supposed position statement if one wants to play that game. 

if this is truly the sticking point, I think it's time to get back to baseball. If you're a player and you choose to play, you need to accept the risk and not hold a potential class-action lawsuit over MLB. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, atomic said:

So it appears Manfred is using this pandemic as an opportunity to force in the DH and put advertisements on players jerseys.  He seems pretty shady. 

Interesting. I completely missed this. Was this in the latest negotiated proposal?

19 hours ago, atomic said:

I almost got hit in the head with a ball walking on Eutaw Street in 2018 with Tilman pitching.

I have to laugh at that. ? Not because you almost got hit but because Eutaw St. was most definitely a danger zone when Tillman was on the mound!

12 hours ago, backwardsk said:

Why do the owners believe the players have a legit grievance claim that they need them to waive the right to file it?

Lawyers in the Hangout, please keep me honest, but I believe that releasing parties from liability (bidirectionally) is a pretty standard component of a settlement regarding a business dispute. Basically, if both parties agree to 60 games as a path forward, one can't sue the other over a breach of contract that resulted directly from them playing 60 games rather than 162.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, bpilktree said:

I would think they want some open days in case a few players get it and they have to move players around from where they are doing extended spring training and come up and fill in.

I would think rainouts would be a consideration too. It wouldn't be out of the norm for a team or two to pile up 4 or 5 rainouts which would be tough to make up in a short schedule.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, scOtt said:

I would think rainouts would be a consideration too. It wouldn't be out of the norm for a team or two to pile up 4 or 5 rainouts which would be tough to make up in a short schedule.

Doubleheaders! 

I wonder if the times of the games would change since there won't be any fans in the stands? I would personally love some more afternoon games, but I digress. 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, nevadaO said:

Doubleheaders! 

I wonder if the times of the games would change since there won't be any fans in the stands? I would personally love some more afternoon games, but I digress. 

The idea is to have people watch the games on TV.  People will be working in the afternoon so they won't see the games.  

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, atomic said:

The idea is to have people watch the games on TV.  People will be working in the afternoon so they won't see the games.  

I get that, but most people don't work on Saturday's but we still have night games. Just curious if they change something like that is all.