MLBTR: Facilities All Closed

weams

MLB Closes Spring Camps To Establish New Protocols

By Jeff Todd | June 19, 2020 at 9:30pm CDT

9:32pm: This policy is going into effect immediately, per Bob Nightengale of USA Today (via Twitter). No players or staff members will be allowed into spring facilities until they have had a coronavirus test come back negative.

Based on the limited information I have, shutting things down and going back to the drawing board for safety protocols makes sense.

But it also comes in handy for the owners in their continuing, consistent efforts to compress the time that's available to prepare for and play baseball, driving down the number of games that can be played.

2 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

Based on the limited information I have, shutting things down and going back to the drawing board for safety protocols makes sense.

But it also comes in handy for the owners in their continuing, consistent efforts to compress the time that's available to prepare for and play baseball, driving down the number of games that can be played.

Lol, this has nothing to do with anyone being concerned over safety. This is all the owners going to try and use this as the reason the season will be cancelled and not because of the greed of the players and owners. 

Just now, Tony-OH said:

Lol, this has nothing to do with anyone being concerned over safety. This is all the owners going to try and use this as the reason the season will be cancelled and not because of the greed of the players and owners. 

It's a pretty good ploy I think.  Hard for the players to launch a grievance when it's their welfare at stake.

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's a pretty good ploy I think.  Hard for the players to launch a grievance when it's their welfare at stake.

It's definitely their, "We'll shut things down and say it for your own good" ploy. There are still people out there that will buy this.

37 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Canceled or whittled down to a size and cost they will accept.

But, hey, I'm sure at least some owners are concerned a little about the players' health and safety --- as it potentially affects their post-2020 performance. They don't want to see their own players get the virus, with a risk of permanent impairment or even death, even if the chances of that are quite small. The teams have got big investments in those players, especially those with multi-year contracts who will get paid even if their performance is adversely affected. Jeez, what if a guy like Chris Davis contracted the virus and it messed up his timing at the plate for the last couple years of his contract? He might start striking out a lot or something. 

Then, too, teams might get sued if bad stuff happens to players.

You also have to keep in mind that the Commissioner and the MLB owners are a wonderful, caring, compassionate bunch of people who cherish the game of baseball and care about the well-being of  . . . well, I guess not. It really is all about the money and not at all about the game or its long-term future for these guys. Sometimes they'll fool you (or me anyway) for a little while, but it doesn't last.

I've said this before, but the Commissioner and the owners can do whatever they want about major league baseball and its response to the virus. They are answerable only to the union for violating the CBA or the March agreement (or for violating their contracts with players, stadium owners, etc.). They don't have to give a damn about baseball beyond how much money they can extract from it and how cool it makes them feel to own their own big-league team. But wouldn't it be refreshing if they were honest, just a little bit honest, with us?

4 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

It's definitely their, "We'll shut things down and say it for your own good" ploy. There are still people out there that will buy this.

As much as I dislike Manfred he's pretty ruthless. Wily and smart and doesn't pull any punches. I respect that. I just happen to disagree with EVERY idea he comes up with. :mad:

• Upvote 1