...so what does this mean for our prospects?

Moose Milligan

I don't think I'm alone here when I say that I think whatever happens this "season" is of very little interest.  Yes, I'll watch the games.  No, I won't care what our W/L record is.

I think headed into this season, all I really cared about was how our prospects developed.  Specifically, one Adley Rutschman.  And guys like Diaz, Gray Rod, Hall, Mountcastle, Hays, Kremer, Lowther, Gunnar Henderson.

So...how are these guys going to get any time to play this season?  I say this as I freely admit that I haven't been paying too close attention to anything other than the fact that there's a 60 game season with some funky new rules.  Apologies if this has already been discussed.

• Upvote 1

I don't think it's really worth it to try to have any minor leaguers play this year.  It is unfortunate, but every team will be in the same situation regarding the development, or lack thereof, of their prospects.  In this sprint of a season, I could see Mountcastle finally get a shot, along with perhaps Akin and maybe even Diaz.

Yeah, this is the biggest bummer for me.    We have a lot of guys who were about a year away or less from the majors, and now they’ve lost a year of development.    

I’m guessing that some organizations have been better than others at finding ways for their minor leaguers to work on things, and I’m hoping that we’ve quietly been ahead of the curve on that front.    But I have no basis to know if that’s true.   

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, orioles119 said:

I don't think it's really worth it to try to have any minor leaguers play this year.  It is unfortunate, but every team will be in the same situation regarding the development, or lack thereof, of their prospects.  In this sprint of a season, I could see Mountcastle finally get a shot, along with perhaps Akin and maybe even Diaz.

This is true, every team is in the same boat...however, I'd argue that we need our prospects to develop more than just about anyone out there.  Now any fan of any team could make that statement and believe it, but when you take our record over the past 2-3 seasons into account...we need these guys.

To @Frobby's point, I'm guessing that organizations have found ways to get their minor leaguers to do things, I would hope that with Elias and Sig and our new forward thinking regime that we weren't caught flat footed here.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

I really don't say any reason they can't be in Florida or Arizona and do the games like they do in spring training. Let them play on the camp fields, hire official scorers, maybe even find a way to televise some games.

Florida and Az are two the hot spots for the virus.  O's players are probably saver in Aberdeen.

• Upvote 4

30 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Florida and Az are two the hot spots for the virus.  O's players are probably saver in Aberdeen.

That’s actually not such a bad idea. Bowie, Frederick and Aberdeen are all about an hour from each other. It’s nice to have everyone together under normal circumstances but maybe they could just do instructional stuff up here.

• Upvote 1

Id put them out in Montana or Wyoming if it was me.  Talk to college or university they can stay there in dorms or apartments and play games at a college field.  They would be isolated have access to fields and can get some instruction.  Many small colleges will be hurting so they would love the money.

• Upvote 1

Before the increase in Florida and Arizona, there had been talks about increasing the “Fall League” to both Arizona and Florida, along with making it longer. It seemed like a modified “Arizona/Gulf Coast League” type thing, but teams could send a lot more players/have their own team.

1 hour ago, NCRaven said:

Healthy adults in their 20’s and 30’s are at very low risk.  Most that test positive are asymptomatic.  Those that have symptoms are usually mild cases.  If you’re over 65, with a serious health concern, and living in a nursing home, you’re probably not a professional baseball player.

I agree, there would be no danger in opening up camps in Florida and Arizona for the minor leaguers and they could play well into Fall and get in close to 90 games.

• Upvote 4

I may have missed this, but what is this going to do to service time? Are players just going to get credit for days served?

Because this is a wasted season, If you’re not going to give the cannon fodder a chance to shine as a reward for their hard work, why not bring up all the marginal guys? Give them a chance to show what they can do. That way you’re not jeopardizing the development of any of the real prospects and you’re giving the marginal guys who wouldn’t really get a chance, a chance.

Many of them are going to be released because of minor league contraction, so there’s no reason not to give them a chance now

Edited by Philip

We should probably bring up Mountcastle, AR, and Diaz. Who knows what will happen with the new CBA. It won’t be pretty. At least let these guys play in some games. It won’t hurt. The service clock stuff is dumb. I get it, but it’s still dumb. 

I don’t want lost development. 

• Upvote 1

In the old days player development was not nearly so regimented.  Bonus babies and teenagers would pretty routinely spend a year or two or three on the MLB bench hardly playing.  Some of them went on to long, productive careers.  You'd probably have a hard time showing that less of them developed than players under a more traditional progression.  Since all MLB is in the same boat I'm not going to worry about this too much.

So have we basically lost a year of service time for all of our prospects?   What about things like minor league options?   My main question I guess is are they all a year closer to FA now but with no playing time to show for it?