Sulser Fails at Save attempt, O's lose 8-6 after rain

weams

4 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

The more I watch the way the game is going and how bad the home plate umpires are now, I agree with this 100%. Why not give it a shot for maybe one game of a series or for one or two series per team? 

I used to be against it, but honestly, watching that knucklehead consistently miss pitches and be inconsistent within his own zone last night kinda was the last straw for me to be a convert. Either that or allow umpires back there but allow managers to challenge a couple of pitches a night with immediate computer response to whether it was a ball or strike.

Honestly, base umpires are just for show now anyways since their calls can be challenged.

What I think would be a far better idea is to keep track of all right and wrong calls. We certainly have that information so we know whether a guy was right or wrong. At the end of the year we set a cut off line, anybody who’s not 95% correct is demoted. Can’t be home plate umpire anymore. The umpire union has the option of saying OK or of major league baseball season, nope no more Umpires at all.

I like umpires, I like the human element, and I don’t care if they’re wrong once in a while.

My brother is a lawyer, and he said, once, about doctors, “you cannot sue a doctor for being wrong, you can only sue him for being incompetent.” So we can get rid of the incompetent umpires.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Philip said:

What I think would be a far better idea is to keep track of all right and wrong calls. We certainly have that information so we know whether a guy was right or wrong. At the end of the year we set a cut off line, anybody who’s not 95% correct is demoted.

I like the concept.  Maybe do it over a three-year rolling average so that one bad season doesn't doom an ump.  But if you show prolonged CB Bucknor level incompetence, you're gone.

1 minute ago, NCRaven said:

I like the concept.  Maybe do it over a three-year rolling average so that one bad season doesn't doom an ump.  But if you show prolonged CB Bucknor level incompetence, you're gone.

What if they are being tricked by those catchers?  Not their fault.

1 minute ago, NCRaven said:

You could also have a similar rating for most overturned calls on the basepaths.  Good-bye Angel Hernandez.

Yes, I was thinking of good old angel when I made the comment. He can say “you’re a racist” all he wants and we can respond, “you’re incompetent” every time

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Sounds racist.

Are you serious or trying to bait me?  Is there a rational argument for either of them to remain MLB umpires.  Joe West had already been mentioned.  They are generally considered the three worst umpires, regardless of race.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Honestly, base umpires are just for show now anyways since their calls can be challenged.

I'm not sure how many may have been watching the tenth inning of the Nats-Blue Jays game Wednesday night, but the game swung on a base umpire's call.

Score was 0-0, two out, bases loaded, top of the tenth.  Adam Eaton hit a ground ball that took a funny bounce off the mound.  By the time he fielded the ball, the only option Blue Jays second baseman Cavan Biggio had was to try to beat the runner to second base.

Biggio dove and touched the outfield side of the base with his glove as the runner slid into the infield side.  The ump called the runner safe, and the tie-breaking run scored.

The Blue Jays challenged, of course, but there was no definitive angle from which it could be determined whether the runner's foot had touched the base before Biggio's glove, or the other way around.  So the call on the field stood.  The next batter tripled to blow the game open, which, of course, wouldn't have happened if the runner had been called out.

That's why you've got to have base umpires - to make a call when replay can't.

11 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I'm not sure I buy that at all. This team doesn't have the talent to sustain "momentum", and in baseball, where you have another game every night, I don't really buy into momentum from win or loss.

o

One day after getting their hearts ripped out by Aaron Judge and the Yankees, the Orioles came from behind TWICE to beat the perennially-contending D-Rays ........ we got that momentum backllllll :skeletor:

o

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

One game has never really meant anything to any team. How many times have we seen a team with a  great comeback one night get destroyed the next and vice versa.  I'm not saying a team that wins or loses a bunch of games in a row aren't affected with confidence  or lack thereof, but I don't think a win last night was going to suddenly change the course of the season for this team. 

This team is going to struggle to win 20 games this season most likely and no one win or loss is going to change that.

You are right that this is what “most likely” will happen, but a 1989ish scenario becomes more likely when only playing 60 games.    Fangraphs has us with a 2.1% chance of making the playoffs, which is way higher than they’d be in a 162 game season.   

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, survivedc said:

Why is this comment allowed on here?

Because other folks know it is in reference to the Angel Hernandez lawsuit claiming racism.

The same lawsuit that was referenced elsewhere in the thread.

We have a thread about the lawsuit, you might want to take a look.

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

You are right that this is what “most likely” will happen, but a 1989ish scenario becomes more likely when only playing 60 games.    Fangraphs has us with a 2.1% chance of making the playoffs, which is way higher than they’d be in a 162 game season.   

I can understand this because there are so many wildcards right now. Honestly, this is the kind of situation where a team like the Orioles could over achieve. These games almost have a spring training flavor to them and with guys opting out or being quarantined for a few days or more, it's really an opportunity for a team with guys trying to prove they belong in the majors to flourish.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I can understand this because there are so many wildcards right now. Honestly, this is the kind of situation where a team like the Orioles could over achieve. These games almost have a spring training flavor to them and with guys opting out or being quarantined for a few days or more, it's really an opportunity for a team with guys trying to prove they belong in the majors to flourish.

Orioles, Tigers, Mariners, Marlins, and Giants are all .500 or better right now.