I'm Ready for Mountcastle and Diaz: Mountcastle Up, Diaz Still Waiting

ChuckS

10 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I don't know where the "issue" thing came from.   I thought Tony just said his play was not impressive.  That has nothing to do with an attitude problem.   Maybe I read it wrong.

Tony's exact quote was:

I've heard some others things too but rather not spread them them without conformation.

Now in fairness he's not necessarily referring to Mountcastle there but it was in the Mountcastle thread so I assumed that was what he was referring to.

Anyway - it's not my intent to start/inflame any rumors, so perhaps all of that discussion is moot and I for one hope we see him up here sooner rather than later.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

For some reason BB ref hasn't updated.

Well 726 after a good game hardly means hot.  And you know how much I care about RBIs.

Smith isn't good at anything.  I'm at all loss as why even the Orioles would have him on a ML Roster.

In many ways I agree.   He is poor defensively but so is Mountcastle.  Smith's year last year was mediocre.   But he is here right now and hitting homers.   I am willing to see  where it goes.  Smith is only 27 years old with a year of MLB experience.   

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

In many ways I agree.   He is poor defensively but so is Mountcastle.  Smith's year last year was mediocre.   But he is here right now and hitting homers.   I am willing to see  where it goes.  Smith is only 27 years old with a year of MLB experience.   

Yes, two is plural so he has hit multiple home runs.

We also don't know what Mountcastle's defense looks like in left.  I'm hopeful it's better than Smith.

He has one season's worth of playing time, spread over four years and he's been well below replacement level over that time.  There is nothing to see here, other than poor play.

I thought "swing decision feedback" the most interesting nugget in this piece.

https://www.mlb.com/orioles/news/questions-about-ryan-mountcastle-more

Obviously the technology can tell the club if Mountcastle is choosing wisely on whatever pitches he is facing down there, but I don't see how he is facing many MLB-caliber pitches in that setting.

Much more delay will be pretty discouraging to my not yet dead 2022 hopes.  Before COVID, I saw 2020-2021 having room to give 1000 PAs to every hitter that matters.  Most rookies will stink for awhile - time to start getting that over with.

3 minutes ago, VaBird1 said:

Of course, you are running out of time if if you are 24 and in AAA.

Take two players with the same numbers in the majors about to hit free agency.

One is 28 and one is 30.

How much does those two years cost the guy that's 30?

A year or two can be huge for these guys.

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yes, two is plural so he has hit multiple home runs.

We also don't know what Mountcastle's defense looks like in left.  I'm hopeful it's better than Smith.

He has one season's worth of playing time, spread over four years and he's been well below replacement level over that time.  There is nothing to see here, other than poor play.

Hope is about all we have when thinking about Mountcastle's defense.   Reality is it probably below average.

44 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Smith has 2 homers and 4 RBI  in 21 at bats.  That is a 47 homers and 95 RBI  pace over 500 at bats.   He will not keep that up but  play him while he is hot.

I was looking at it from a per game projection. 12 is 1/5 of 60.  2 Hr projects out to 10 through the course of the year. 2.7 multiplier to get your 162 average.