No more argument to play Chris Davis

accinfo

1 minute ago, RVAOsFan said:

Davis is out of the lineup again today. I think it’s finally happening.  Davis is going to hang out on the bench until his contract is up or a deal is worked out to buy him out of it at a reduced rate. 

At least we have a 28-man roster this season.

45 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I mean that's kind of an unfair comparison don't you think? 

You shouldn't be comparing a 1B/DH to a glove first guy, they bring different skillsets to the club.

Yes, one has the skill set of a solid major league shortstop, while the other has the skill set of a Cyclops tied to a tree.    

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

There is zero chance of Davis getting cut unless having a 162 game season next year is a certainty.    COVID is terrible but the O’s saved about $14.5 mm this year compared to what they would have paid Davis if they had cut him prior to the season.   Turns out that what we all thought was a sunk cost wasn’t completely sunk after all.    I’d like to think we will be in a position to play a full season next year, but who knows?

So if they cut him last year and they only played 60 games this year the Orioles would have had to pay him his full salary for this year even though there were only 60 games to the season?  I am asking because I don't know but I would think they would still prorate this year on his contract based on how many games are played in the season.  I would think if you cut him now and next season they play 100 games he would only get paid for that portion of the contract but I don't know.

18 minutes ago, accinfo said:

So if they cut him last year and they only played 60 games this year the Orioles would have had to pay him his full salary for this year even though there were only 60 games to the season?  I am asking because I don't know but I would think they would still prorate this year on his contract based on how many games are played in the season.  I would think if you cut him now and next season they play 100 games he would only get paid for that portion of the contract but I don't know.

Yes, because of that Chen is the highest paid player this year.

9 minutes ago, accinfo said:

My understanding is that they would have had to pay him in full if he’d been cut before they decided to shorten the season.    That is second hand information from articles like this one.   https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/5500578002

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

There is zero chance of Davis getting cut unless having a 162 game season next year is a certainty.    COVID is terrible but the O’s saved about $14.5 mm this year compared to what they would have paid Davis if they had cut him prior to the season.   Turns out that what we all thought was a sunk cost wasn’t completely sunk after all.    I’d like to think we will be in a position to play a full season next year, but who knows?

Excellent point about the potential salary savings if Covid affects next year’s schedule. That had not occurred to me. 

6 minutes ago, InsideCoroner said:

Excellent point about the potential salary savings if Covid affects next year’s schedule. That had not occurred to me. 

There are no "savings" when it comes to Davis.  He's blocking a roster spot, he doesn't bring anything to the table.  He is sunk cost, no matter what the "cost" is, Covid or not, 162 games or 60 games.  

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

My understanding is that they would have had to pay him in full if he’d been cut before they decided to shorten the season.    That is second hand information from articles like this one.   https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/5500578002

That is what I've read multiple places as well. Wei Chen is the highest paid MLB player this season because he was released.

12 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

There are no "savings" when it comes to Davis.  He's blocking a roster spot, he doesn't bring anything to the table.  He is sunk cost, no matter what the "cost" is, Covid or not, 162 games or 60 games.  

Whatever he is paid is a sunk cost, yes, but the question is whether the amount he is paid is much less if he is on the roster and they play far fewer games.  If it is true that a player that is cut before the season is owed the full season's salary even if the season ends up being dramatically shorter.  Apparently, based on what's happened with Chen, that answer is "yes."  Therefore, there could be huge savings if Davis is not cut, but the 2021 season is reduced, as there was this season.

Having said that, it seems to me they could wait and see if next season is delayed at the beginning, like this season was, and then cut him once the season starts.  Once the reduced salary is in place due to the shortened season, his pro-rated salary would be in effect.

• Upvote 1

I’m really hoping that this is the end for Davis, his arrogance and refusal to even attempt a bunt with no fielders covering the left side of the infield is an atrocity and An affront to commonsense.

even if this young team slides and this run ends, I will still enjoy watching young players with a solid approach at the plate. 

56 minutes ago, weams said:

That is what I've read multiple places as well. Wei Chen is the highest paid MLB player this season because he was released.

That is a spectacular 2020 thing.  I suppose we could pay 10 personal coaches $250K a year by hanging on to Davis if covid cancels say a month of next year.

Get him on the phone with Terry Crowley.  He's perhaps a fair dice roll bases empty down a run on the 24th or 27th out compared to some of his teammates.