Tigers bringing some key prospects..Will we see Os do the same soon?

Sports Guy

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Nah.  The logic is past due on all of them.

By holding them down as long as they have this year, the extra year has been gained.

No need to keep play that game with these players.  If it were Adley or Hall, I would agree..but not these guys.  The control will be for plenty long enough and most of them don’t have much more to prove in the minors.

Was no compelling reason to do it last year.

Thought my Super 2 commentary was pertinent in this thread, so I am copy/pasting it here:

Super 2 eligibility is based on the top 22 percent of service time for players between 2 and 3 years of service time, there is no way of knowing in advance how long a player has to be held back to avoid Super 2. Last year, the cutoff was 2 years and 115 days which is the lowest it has ever been. The previous lowest it had been was 2 years and 122 days. Because days are pro-rated this year, each day of this season counts for approximately 2.7 days of service time. There are 42 days left in the season, which would equate to 114.54 days of service time remaining in the season.

It does seem like an awful lot of top prospects have been called up in the last week, so if those players stay up it becomes less likely that Mountcastle will be among the top 22 percent, but there is no way to know entirely because players can be called up and sent down over the next could years. Teams don't know for sure until after the player's third season whether he will be Super 2 arbitration eligible.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

So?  I’m not talking about last year?

Hence the green.

I didn't think green text would solve things but I was asked to do it...

If Hyde prioritized service time manipulation over development last year why wouldn't he do the same this year?  We are two weeks away from what would normally be Septembr callups.  

I was referencing that with my comments.

18 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Hence the green.

I didn't think green text would solve things but I was asked to do it...

If Hyde prioritized service time manipulation over development last year why wouldn't he do the same this year?  We are two weeks away from what would normally be Septembr callups.  

I was referencing that with my 

He already has manipulated service time this year.

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He already has manipulated service time this year.

If Elias thought it was worthwhile to manipulate it this year why not do it again?  We are in an almost identical situation, playing time wise, as last year when he decided against calling him up.  Why wouldn't he just push it back another couple of months?

Edited by Can_of_corn
Elias not Hyde

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If Elias thought it was worthwhile to manipulate it this year why not do it again?  We are in an almost identical situation, playing time wise, as last year when he decided against calling him up.  Why wouldn't he just push it back another couple of months?

I'm not an expert in player development or anything, but wouldn't it be good for his growth as a player to play in an actual baseball game this calendar year? As others besides me have pointed out, does Mountcastle really profile as a guy who you're going to be worried about being able to retain as a FA when he's 31? Mookie Betts he is not. I don't know, it seems like the interests of the "rah rah playoffs 2020 baybee" crowd and the "be patient and trust the process" crowd are kind of aligned on this issue. 

2 minutes ago, Moshagge3 said:

I'm not an expert in player development or anything, but wouldn't it be good for his growth as a player to play in an actual baseball game this calendar year? As others besides me have pointed out, does Mountcastle really profile as a guy who you're going to be worried about being able to retain as a FA when he's 31? Mookie Betts he is not. I don't know, it seems like the interests of the "rah rah playoffs 2020 baybee" crowd and the "be patient and trust the process" crowd are kind of aligned on this issue. 

I think it would have been good for his growth as a player to play in the majors last September.  Elias evidently thought service time manipulation was more important.  I'm questioning why he wouldn't feel the same way this year given how close we are to the end of the season.

I've never seen the logic of gaming the service time of a RH 1b/LF/DH guy on the fringe of the top 100 prospect lists.

25 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Because the players have had that much more experience, have gotten older and are more ready to come up.  

It’s time for them to get up here and start the evaluation process on these guys.  It makes zero sense to continue to wait.  

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Because the players have had that much more experience, have gotten older and are more ready to come up.  

It’s time for them to get up here and start the evaluation process on these guys.  It makes zero sense to continue to wait.  

I think it made zero sense to wait last year (at least with Mountcastle).  Yet Elias waited.  Why won't he make the same decision this year?

I just don't see why Elias is going to suddenly decide to promote these players he could have already promoted.  Super 2 worries are nonsensical for pitchers since it is so easy to send them up and down to avoid service time concerns.

57 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Thought my Super 2 commentary was pertinent in this thread, so I am copy/pasting it here:

Super 2 eligibility is based on the top 22 percent of service time for players between 2 and 3 years of service time, there is no way of knowing in advance how long a player has to be held back to avoid Super 2. Last year, the cutoff was 2 years and 115 days which is the lowest it has ever been. The previous lowest it had been was 2 years and 122 days. Because days are pro-rated this year, each day of this season counts for approximately 2.7 days of service time. There are 42 days left in the season, which would equate to 114.54 days of service time remaining in the season.

It does seem like an awful lot of top prospects have been called up in the last week, so if those players stay up it becomes less likely that Mountcastle will be among the top 22 percent, but there is no way to know entirely because players can be called up and sent down over the next could years. Teams don't know for sure until after the player's third season whether he will be Super 2 arbitration eligible.

As I pointed out in another thread, there have been 103 players who have debuted so far this year.   Last year, the 103rd player didn’t debut until 52-55 games into the season.     In a typical year, about 200-250 players debut per season.   This year it seems like a lot of teams are trying a lot of new players, probably because of the extra roster spots.    Many of those players will not stick.   As a result, I think it’s really tough to know where the post-2022 super-two cutoff will fall.    Remember there’s no roster expansion this September; in fact, the rosters will shrink.    So past precedent is kind of out the window here.   I think it’s probably safe now, but if preventing Super-2 status were my primary motivation, I’d probably wait a bit longer.     

• Upvote 1