Dwight Smith DFA, Mason Williams up

Bill Swaggerty

1 hour ago, MurphDogg said:

Nice, very excited about this move.

Apparently you have a VERY low threshold for getting excited.    We’re replacing a 27 year old OF with a career -1.1 WAR with a 28 year old OF with a career 0.0 WAR. I’m fine with it, but “very excited” I am NOT.    

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Apparently have a VERY low threshold for getting excited.    We’re replacing a 27 year old OF with a career -1.1 WAR with a 28 year old OF with a career 0.0 WAR. I’m fine with it, but “very excited” I am NOT.    

Maybe we can bring back Joey Rickard?

Seriously though, I remember writing last year about How much better the team would be if only we could replace our negative WAR players with guys who are exactly 0.

If Mason Merely maintains his stat, we will still be 1WAR to the good.

Baby steps.

Edited by Philip

Apparently have a VERY low threshold for getting excited.    We’re replacing a 27 year old OF with a career -1.1 WAR with a 28 year old OF with a career 0.0 WAR. I’m fine with it, but “very excited” I am NOT.    

I'm pleased from an aesthetic viewpoint.

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Apparently you have a VERY low threshold for getting excited.    We’re replacing a 27 year old OF with a career -1.1 WAR with a 28 year old OF with a career 0.0 WAR. I’m fine with it, but “very excited” I am NOT.    

I'm excited because it means that Mountcastle is going to be the everyday guy in left, sink or swim. They aren't going to start Williams or Valaika or Velasquez once or twice a week in left, and I was worried they might with Smith.

It upgrades the late-inning defense and pinch-running. Can pinch run for Nunez and move to left while Mountcastle moves to first.

It allows flexibility to potentially pinch hit for Mullins in the late innings with Sisco tonight. 

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Smith was a starter. I don't think Mason is replacing him. Mountcastle is replacing him as a starter. I think this excites many fans. Mason is replacing the 4th OF

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Smith was a starter. I don't think Mason is replacing him. Mountcastle is replacing him as a starter. I think this excites many fans. Mason is replacing the 4th OF

I was excited when Mountcastle got called up.    Hyde said he was going to play him a lot, and that was enough for me.     There was no point in burning his service time to have him sit on the bench.    

33 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I was excited when Mountcastle got called up.    Hyde said he was going to play him a lot, and that was enough for me.     There was no point in burning his service time to have him sit on the bench.    

I expected Mountcastle to play a lot, but with Smith still on the roster, I thought Mountcastle might play first once a week and/or sit once every 10 games to get Smith in the lineup occasionally. I no longer expect that with this roster setup.

Also, you aren't sending these messages on a Smith Corona, why do you have so many spaces in between your sentences?

Beats me.  Just how I was taught, I guess.  

I understand the double space after the period. I was taught that way too and had to unlearn it. That is actually how it was done with typewriters, I was being glib in my reference. The post I quoted and the one before it had four spaces.