How Much Do You Credit the Elias/Sig Development Methods for the Teams Offense

kidrock

Question for the O's faithful here.  How much stock/credit do you put in Elias/Sig's player development approach for some of the young guys on offense who are performing well?  Do you give their "process" a lot of credit for some of the successes with Nunez, Alberto, Santander etc?  Do you feel confident that, after a small sample size of their development process, that they can improve more players?

• Upvote 1

I don't know about those guys but it sure seems like things that had previous been noted as holes in Mountcastle's offensive game we're not there when he came up.

Mullins and Sisco spent time getting instruction and Bowie and came back up looking better at the plate too.

Nunez, Alberto, and Santander all had SOME history of being the kind of hitters they are this year at various levels of the minors.  They just finally got opportunity at the MLB level to play regularly under our new regime.  And they have all impressed.  Don't know if it's just getting the opportunity that has made the difference or the "process".  

Sure seems like two things are going on:

1) Elias & co doing a great job identifying castoffs from other orgs or free agents with potential (Nunez, Alberto, Valaika, Severino, Iglesias)

2) Lots of guys seem to be getting the most out of their abilities under the tutelage of our new regime.

Probably a combination of both, but the results are very good either way.

They get some credit, but the credit goes to the players really.  Knowledge is not power, its the application of knowledge that is powerful.  Elias and crew may have presented them with data, film, etc, but the players are the ones that put the work in to apply it.

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

I don't know about those guys but it sure seems like things that had previous been noted as holes in Mountcastle's offensive game we're not there when he came up.

Mullins and Sisco spent time getting instruction and Bowie and came back up looking better at the plate too.

Nunez, Alberto, and Santander all had SOME history of being the kind of hitters they are this year at various levels of the minors.  They just finally got opportunity at the MLB level to play regularly under our new regime.  And they have all impressed.  Don't know if it's just getting the opportunity that has made the difference or the "process".  

Sure seems like two things are going on:

1) Elias & co doing a great job identifying castoffs from other orgs or free agents with potential (Nunez, Alberto, Valaika, Severino, Iglesias)

2) Lots of guys seem to be getting the most out of their abilities under the tutelage of our new regime.

Probably a combination of both, but the results are very good either way.

Stewart.

I'd also say that they have had their share of failed "castoffs".  They've thrown a lot of **** against the wall and it looks like some of it stuck.

34 minutes ago, kidrock said:

Question for the O's faithful here.  How much stock/credit do you put in Elias/Sig's player development approach for some of the young guys on offense who are performing well?  Do you give their "process" a lot of credit for some of the successes with Nunez, Alberto, Santander etc?  Do you feel confident that, after a small sample size of their development process, that they can improve more players?

I've been wondering the same thing and on the pitching side as well, but impossible to quantify what is just natural talent coming through and what is analytical changes to the players game unless they specifically site something they changed with a player.  Regardless, I just hope we keep seeing positive results and start working our way out of this rebuild sooner than later, really been enjoying competitive Orioles games of late. 

12 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Stewart.

I'd also say that they have had their share of failed "castoffs".  They've thrown a lot of **** against the wall and it looks like some of it stuck.

That is exactly how I see their approach. The O's comparative advantage the last three years has been near unlimited opportunity to try out random castoffs. Contenders can't carry multiple DFA guys and Rule 5 picks. Teams with rich farm systems have to protect more guys on their 40 Man Rosters. They have gone through a lot of chaff to get to the wheat but they have found some value in the process. 

Certainly the O's developmental people haven't done any harm. 

I don't know, because I'm not sure how many of this year's performances are real.  It can't all be real, you just don't have a group of players all suddenly out-do their career marks by 150 points of OPS.  Well, not legally...

We also don't have many particulars about what might have changed.  Does Mullins say he's hitting better because of something the organization changed in his approach, or is he just hitting better for a few weeks? 

I'm very skeptical of magic changes.  Especially large ones.  The Orioles' OPS+ went from 90 in 2019 to 110 so far in 2020 despite subtracting more talent than they added.  If all of that is real and it's due to a change in approach or technique then Elias' staff is worth their weight in gold.  Or plutonium.

55 minutes ago, murph said:

I've been wondering the same thing and on the pitching side as well, but impossible to quantify what is just natural talent coming through and what is analytical changes to the players game unless they specifically site something they changed with a player.  Regardless, I just hope we keep seeing positive results and start working our way out of this rebuild sooner than later, really been enjoying competitive Orioles games of late. 

That's exactly what I was thinking as well.  Its hard to tell what is just natural talent and what is the new processes.  I was expecting this team to be far worse and I am encouraged about the team.  I think the only real way to tell is to look over a 5-8 year time horizon really.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

That is exactly how I see their approach. The O's comparative advantage the last three years has been near unlimited opportunity to try out random castoffs. Contenders can't carry multiple DFA guys and Rule 5 picks. Teams with rich farm systems have to protect more guys on their 40 Man Rosters. They have gone through a lot of chaff to get to the wheat but they have found some value in the process. 

Certainly the O's developmental people haven't done any harm. 

Yeah good point.  Being bad has a lot of advantages from a playing time standpoint.

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I don't know, because I'm not sure how many of this year's performances are real.  It can't all be real, you just don't have a group of players all suddenly out-do their career marks by 150 points of OPS.  Well, not legally...

We also don't have many particulars about what might have changed.  Does Mullins say he's hitting better because of something the organization changed in his approach, or is he just hitting better for a few weeks? 

I'm very skeptical of magic changes.  Especially large ones.  The Orioles' OPS+ went from 90 in 2019 to 110 so far in 2020 despite subtracting more talent than they added.  If all of that is real and it's due to a change in approach or technique then Elias' staff is worth their weight in gold.  Or plutonium.

Mullins went to an O's recommended hitting coach over the off season and he changed his swing.

The Tigers and Marlins have made similar jumps this season.   Its not jump the O's that are going from really bad to middle of the pack.

Yea, you hurt can’t draw conclusions about anything for this season.

The one thing I am enjoying seeing is the attitude of these guys.  They aren’t scared or overwhelmed.  They are well prepared and seem to be ready to be here.

Its a confident group of young players and that is the mindset you want to see.

• Upvote 1