Tracking Ex Oriole Thread

Rene88

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

I had a good discussion with Luke in the ex-Orioles thread in the MLB forum.   Flaherty’s BABIP is crazy high, and his xwOBA (expected wOBA based on quality of contact) is well above his wOBA.    So, there’s a lot of evidence he’s been lucky, and he hasn’t hit for any power, so you can expect his numbers will normalize.    Perhaps he’ll have his best year, but I wouldn’t get too excited about his early performance.

Perhaps. There's also the possibility that he's not trying to hit for power and crank everything out of the park like the Orioles do. He's also striking out less and walking more. Flaherty is probably best suited to be a contact hitter anyway. Of course, it's way too early to draw any conclusions as you say, but there may be more to this than just statistics. It's not like they don't have a book on Flaherty this being his 7th year in the league.

3 minutes ago, Sessh said:

Perhaps. There's also the possibility that he's not trying to hit for power and crank everything out of the park like the Orioles do. He's also striking out less and walking more. Flaherty is probably best suited to be a contact hitter anyway. Of course, it's way too early to draw any conclusions as you say, but there may be more to this than just statistics. It's not like they don't have a book on Flaherty this being his 7th year in the league.

Yeah, I guess we’ll see.   I suppose NL pitchers haven’t seen much of Flaherty but I’m sure you’re right that the scouts/data have told them what’s been successful in the past.  

Here's his highlights from yesterday's game:

Flaherty robs Herrera of a hit

Three Run No Doubter

Broken Bat RBI Single

The question is not whether he can hit .400 or something ridiculous like that, but if he can be a serviceable everyday player over the course of a whole season. The Braves are certainly going to give him the opportunity. Good on him. Let's see what he does with it.

Prior to this year Ryan Flaherty had appeared in six major league seasons.  His batting average every single year was between .202 and .224.  His OBP was between .258 and .302.  His slugging .318 to .390, except last year when it was .237.  He's a very consistent player.  He just can't hit.

If he becomes a serviceable everyday player at 31 it'll be frankly amazing.

On 4/18/2018 at 1:21 PM, Aglets said:

Looks like the Braves have so much faith in Ryan Flaherty's hot start at 3B that they signed another former Oriole to potentially compete with him.  NOTE:  it's a minor league deal

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/23232648/jose-bautista-agrees-minor-league-deal-toronto-braves-play-3b

I really don't understand why they did that, but it's just a minor league deal.  Remember, Flash was signed mainly because Johan Comargo was injured, and he's back on the active roster now.  And the Braves have super-looking prospect Austin Riley dominating AA.  So I don't see much use for Bautista and really doubt he can still play 3rd base at a reasonable level.  I really like Comargo - he's a vacuum-cleaner with enough range to play SS, and he hits better than expected.  

It's a blast to see Flash doing so well - realizing there's no chance he can keep it up all season.  His walks have been a result of batting 8th in the NL and being hot.  When there have been runners on base for him and 2 men out, he gets pitched around, so the other team can face the pitcher.  He was even intentionally walked twice in one game.  What a hoot!  

Parker Bridwell has a 9.31 ERA in two AAA seasons starts, after allowing 6 ER in 1.2 innings in his one major league game this year.   I wonder if there’s something physically wrong there.   

Ariel Miranda started the year in the minors, got called up for an April 17 start and did well (5 IP, 1 ER), then was sent back to AAA and got shelled in his next outing.   

On 4/19/2018 at 1:20 PM, DrungoHazewood said:

Prior to this year Ryan Flaherty had appeared in six major league seasons.  His batting average every single year was between .202 and .224.  His OBP was between .258 and .302.  His slugging .318 to .390, except last year when it was .237.  He's a very consistent player.  He just can't hit.

Good for him.

I would take him back in a new york minute, Sardinas's play in the field has me wondering how he made the team.

On 4/19/2018 at 1:20 PM, DrungoHazewood said:

10 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Good for him.

I would take him back in a new york minute, Sardinas's play in the field has me wondering how he made the team.

I still think there is an overall disparity in the leagues and divisions.  I'm sure someone will find some stat to tell me that I'm wrong, but it sure seems like guys that leave the AL East seems to see an uptick performance, and likewise guys that come into the AL East, especially from the National League, see their performance suffer.  I think that is as least partly in play here, because Flaherty just isn't that good.