Tracking Ex Oriole Thread

Rene88

On 8/8/2020 at 10:07 AM, webbrick2010 said:

Almost 1/4 thru abbreviated season and Manny posting a .189/.306/.627. I'm betting that SD is already dreaming of dumping his contract

Uh oh.  Manny’s OPS over 800 now.  Hit his 5th HR , grand slam last night.   I’m sure your happy for him, right? 

On 8/12/2020 at 6:39 AM, murph said:

Uh oh.  Manny’s OPS over 800 now.  Hit his 5th HR , grand slam last night.   I’m sure your happy for him, right? 

10th career grand slam, tied for 64th all time.    Not bad for a guy who just turned 28.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I thought the way it was supposed to work under Elias is that the O's would sign guys like Gausman and Bundy and fix them?

Not sure why you are using one good start from Gausman to make this argument.    Elias wasn’t the one who traded him, and despite his great start yesterday, his ERA on the season is just decent (4.21) and more or less in line with last year (4.05) and his career numbers (4.30).     His performance in the first 3 weeks of this 60-game season is not really in the Bundy category.    

Just now, Frobby said:

Not sure why you are using one good start from Gausman to make this argument.    Elias wasn’t the one who traded him, and despite his great start yesterday, his ERA on the season is just decent (4.21) and more or less in line with last year (4.05) and his career numbers (4.30).     His performance in the first 3 weeks of this 60-game season not really in the Bundy category.    

Not so much making an argument as making a general statement.  I put it here because I had the thought as I was reading the post above mine.

I also never suggested that Elias had anything to do with Gausman being traded.

I just haven't seen the type of turnaround with acquired pitchers that we had hoped to see after what the Astros were able to accomplish.

28 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Saw this today: “Former Baltimore Orioles outfielder Adam Jones is slashing .236/.312/.362 with five home runs for the Orix Buffaloes.“

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/sunday-notes-diamond-jim-used-dr-strangegloves-bat-and-monbo-was-mad/

He’s played 47 games so far.   

You left out the good part.

Yuki Yanagita is slashing .378/.491/.744 with 15 home runs for the SoftBank Hawks. The 31-year-old outfielder has a .984 OPS over 10 NPB seasons.

No idea who he is but you have to respect a slash line like that.

5 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I thought the way it was supposed to work under Elias is that the O's would sign guys like Gausman and Bundy and fix them?

Elias is supposed to do as such (this was one of the main appeals to him as a GM) but whenever a decent gamble comes up (such as Foltynewicz even with an abysmal drop in velo) the topic of the thread will be if the 2.3 million spent on him could cause severe issues for the organization, or something. 

Edited by MountUrCastle

On 8/12/2020 at 6:39 AM, murph said:

Uh oh, Manny hitting .200 with a .719 OPS,  .620 OPS in last 7 games, wonder where he ranks in WAR for MLB 3B, he's running away with the $$$/WAR title.

54 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Uh oh, Manny hitting .200 with a .719 OPS,  .620 OPS in last 7 games, wonder where he ranks in WAR for MLB 3B, he's running away with the $$$/WAR title.

I've been watching his line when I check the box scores each morning and was expecting this post soon.  I personally am rooting for Manny and I think he will end up around career norms (+ or - a bit with only 60 games) once it is all done.