Tracking Ex Oriole Thread

Rene88

3 hours ago, SteveA said:

Adam Jones got a hole in one on a par 4 hole in Marrakesh Morocco.

I know nothing about golf, but it amuses me that they have a name for a shot like this and it's an Albatross. Is it names after the distance it can fly without landing? The overall size/length comparison? Or just a fun name for a ridiculous shot.

49 minutes ago, CharmCityHokie said:

I know nothing about golf, but it amuses me that they have a name for a shot like this and it's an Albatross. Is it names after the distance it can fly without landing? The overall size/length comparison? Or just a fun name for a ridiculous shot.

A birdie is one under par (so 2 shots on a par 3 hole, or 3 shots on a par 4 hole, or 4 shots on a par 5 hole).

An eagle is two under par (so a hole in one on a par 3 hole, or 2 shots on a par 4 hole, or 3 shots on a par 5 hole).

I had never heard of albatross either, but I guess it is 3 under par (a hole in one on a par 4 hole, or 2 shots on a par 5 hole).   That is also called a double eagle.

I doubt there's even a name for 4 under par, that would be a hole in one on a par 5 hole and I believe most par 5 holes are beyond the length of any human to hit the ball?

I don't know, I'm no golf expert either.

AND... I just did some googling, and 4 under par (a hole in one on a par 5 hole) is... a CONDOR.   And apparently it has happened a few times (never on the PGA or LPGA tour).

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Cesar Valdez was the star of the Caribbean World Series, tossing 6.1 scoreless in the final, allowing only 3 hits, no walks and striking out 6, needing only 78 pitches, 54 of which were strikes.  He was named CWS MVP, throwing 12.1 shutout innings in the series on 6 hits, no walks, 10 K’s.

The go ahead run in the final was knocked in by Kelvin Gutierrez on a sac fly.  

https://www.mlb.com/news/dominican-republic-wins-caribbean-series-2023

Back to Valdez, he really is a Dominican Winter League phenom: 

2018-19: 1.95 ERA in 27.2 IP

2019-20: 1.55 ERA in 40.2 IP

2021-22: 1.77 ERA in 45.2 IP

2022-23: 151 ERA in 53.1 IP

He only threw 1 shutout inning in 2020-21, but allowed only 1 run in 11 innings in the Caribbean Series that year.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Frobby said:

Cesar Valdez was the star of the Caribbean World Series, tossing 6.1 scoreless in the final, allowing only 3 hits, no walks and striking out 6, needing only 78 pitches, 54 of which were strikes.  He was named CWS MVP, throwing 12.1 shutout innings in the series on 6 hits, no walks, 10 K’s.

The go ahead run in the final was knocked in by Kelvin Gutierrez on a sac fly.  

https://www.mlb.com/news/dominican-republic-wins-caribbean-series-2023

Back to Valdez, he really is a Dominican Winter League phenom: 

2018-19: 1.95 ERA in 27.2 IP

2019-20: 1.55 ERA in 40.2 IP

2021-22: 1.77 ERA in 45.2 IP

2022-23: 151 ERA in 53.1 IP

He only threw 1 shutout inning in 2020-21, but allowed only 1 run in 11 innings in the Caribbean Series that year.

The Dead Fish lives!

The guy must absolutely love baseball, he's constantly pitching somewhere, I don't know how he does it without his arm falling off. I also didn't realize he had made it back to the Majors for 1 IP last season, good for him

1 hour ago, CharmCityHokie said:

The Dead Fish lives!

The guy must absolutely love baseball, he's constantly pitching somewhere, I don't know how he does it without his arm falling off. I also didn't realize he had made it back to the Majors for 1 IP last season, good for him

He's on the Dominican WBC team, too, who are probalby co-favorites to win the whole thing along with the US.

• Upvote 1

Machado opting out of Padres contract after 2023.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/manny-machado-free-agency-superstar-third-baseman-plans-to-opt-out-of-padres-deal-with-five-years-150m-left/

"San Diego Padres third baseman Manny Machado, who finished second in National League Most Valuable Player Award voting last year, confirmed on Friday that he intends to opt out of his contract after this season. "There's a lot of money out there," he told reporters (including Chelsea Janes of the Washington Post). "As a player about to opt out, it's pretty good to see."

8 hours ago, ShoelesJoe said:

Machado opting out of Padres contract after 2023.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/manny-machado-free-agency-superstar-third-baseman-plans-to-opt-out-of-padres-deal-with-five-years-150m-left/

"San Diego Padres third baseman Manny Machado, who finished second in National League Most Valuable Player Award voting last year, confirmed on Friday that he intends to opt out of his contract after this season. "There's a lot of money out there," he told reporters (including Chelsea Janes of the Washington Post). "As a player about to opt out, it's pretty to see."

Talk about a buzzkill. Did Machado really need to tell SD fans he's opting out already? What if he has a terrible year? I doubt he'll be opting out then. Then again, maybe he would, believing more moneys still out there.  

8 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Talk about a buzzkill. Did Machado really need to tell SD fans he's opting out already? What if he has a terrible year? I doubt he'll be opting out then. Then again, maybe he would, believing more moneys still out there.  

I saw a comment from the Padres about Manny opting out last season.

This is the furthest thing from a surprise.

I'd say odds are really good he doesn't hit free agency.

Manny opting out makes sense for both him and the Padres. He wants a new contract that will pay him till he’s forty or so, and SD got five of his prime years at $30 million per, which (as crazy as it sounds) was a bargain. Whoever signs him to his next contract will be the sucker paying for the downside of his career. 

5 minutes ago, ShoelesJoe said:

Manny opting out makes sense for both him and the Padres. He wants a new contract that will pay him till he’s forty or so, and SD got five of his prime years at $30 million per, which (as crazy as it sounds) was a bargain. Whoever signs him to his next contract will be the sucker paying for the downside of his career. 

I don't know, he's pretty close to Nelson Cruz maybe Manny will also....age well...