Draft Order 2021

weams

9 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I hope draft order is determined by combined totals of 2019-2020.  I think that's the fairest way.

It would be fair to extend win total out to what it would have been over 162 games and then total with 2019. A straight total would give too much weight to 2019 total.

14 hours ago, wildcard said:

I hope that is what happens.  But has there been any information from the Commissioner's office about how ties will be addressed?

As a fan with no more than internet at my disposal (and that hasn't been used to announce anything official), I can offer no more than the positioning based on historical reference.

If last year is considered, #5 would be worst case (unless we start talking lottery...).

https://dknation.draftkings.com/mlb/2020/6/23/21300692/mlb-season-2020-length-standings-through-60-games-2019-last-year

https://www.espn.com/mlb/standings/_/group/overall

Using the first link to get first 60 and overall, I took the difference to get the last 102 from last season.  (With Detroit there is still the 2 game gap, but they were so terrible over this time they were the worst team either way even if they are given 2 wins in that place...)

Boston 53-49 over last 102, combined with this year they would be 77-85.

Baltimore 35-67, combined 60-102

Detroit 24-77, 47-112

Arizona 55-47, 80-82

Texas 46-56, 68-94

Pittsburgh 40-62, 59-103

Order based on 2020 only (if rules same as historically):

#1. Pittsburgh, #2. Texas, #3 Detroit, #4 Boston, #5 Baltimore, #6 Arizona

Order based on last 162 games (only doing these 6, Kansas others may move up otherwise...I need to work at some point today, feel free to go deeper). 

#1. Detroit, #2 Pittsburgh, #3 Baltimore, #4 Texas, #5 Boston, #6 Arizona.

edit: feel free to check my math as well, should all be 162 other than Detroit as I mentioned).

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

2019 is pretty recent.  This season's games are taken into the equation the same it's just 60 games verses 162.  This season would certainly affect the outcome.  Strange year.  I just think it's fair.  My opinion. 

Will 2021 rosters be closer to 2019 rosters or 2020?

The draft order article on the CBS sports site shows the once mighty O's picking fifth.

It also says that Manfred Mann can change the way the order is done since the teams did not play 81 games. Keep in mind that this is the same butthead that wants to move the mound back two feet because the supposed best baseball players in the world can't handle the velocity the pitchers throwing with.

4 hours ago, panick said:

The draft order article on the CBS sports site shows the once mighty O's picking fifth.

It also says that Manfred Mann can change the way the order is done since the teams did not play 81 games. Keep in mind that this is the same butthead that wants to move the mound back two feet because the supposed best baseball players in the world can't handle the velocity the pitchers throwing with.

The mound not in the middle of the diamond feels even more blasphemous than seven inning games or a runner on second to start extras. 

12 hours ago, emmett16 said:

The mound is 66’ 9” from second base.  

6 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

So you're strongly in favor of moving the mound back three feet?

Well don't I look and feel quite dumb...

My larger point was that changing the core dimensions of the field as they have existed for quite some time (Drungo can probably give the specifics) feels even more foundational of a change to me than the other two more "special case" adjustments they have made, which I don't particularly care for.