Place the O's minor league infielders

wildcard

5 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

So if that's true, does it mean that the overall level of performance in the Majors this year was off significantly because of the lack of fans?  And I guess that it affects hitting, pitching, and fielding equally since there didn't appear to be any difference in outcomes when comparing 2019 and 2020.

Might explain how the Marlins and Rays did so well.  They were acclimated to low attendance at home games.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Do players play better or develop faster if they're playing home games in better facilities?  Or are they more motivated to be promoted if they know the next step will feature better conditions?  Or, like most intangibles, there is no measurable impact at all and we just have this general feeling that new facilities are better than old ones?

That is a lot of questions.  Apparently MLB owners think that there is some value in having good Parks because they are cutting the bad ones and keeping the good ones.  Frederick in on the cut list even though it has a good fan base.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

That is a lot of questions.  Apparently MLB owners think that there is some value in having good Parks because they are cutting the bad ones and keeping the good ones.  Frederick in on the cut list even though it has a good fan base.

Might be some angle to help keep municipalities paying for facilities.

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Major League Baseball is 100% behind the taxpayers in small-to-medium sized communities spending $10s of millions on new facilities for their prospects to play in.  And just like in the majors they're perfectly fine telling places like Hagerstown that their tradition of having a professional baseball team for many decades is all good and well, but build us a free stadium or we're going somewhere else.

Frederick is probably on the list because Aberdeen has a nicer, newer place and they needed a place to go with the NY-Penn League going away.

17 hours ago, Frobby said:

Sacre bleu!    Do we have any Francophone prospects for “Luc” to weigh in on?

I’ll be interested to hear how Tony put this list together.    It’s really a challenge when there was no minor league season, a very short high school/college season for the players just drafted, and quite a few players who we received in trades but have never played an official game in the Orioles’ organization.   Hopefully Tony has some sources who got to see some of what went on at Bowie camp, as well as spring training.    And of course, we got a sneak peek at Mountcastle, Akin, Kremer and Zimmermann against major league competition.    As always, I’m really looking forward to seeing and debating the list.    

My query was actually directed at you. I thought Drungo also is up on the minors,nand doubtless many others I miss at the moment, but you’re king of research and stats so I (cough cough) nominate you to replace monsieur Luc and help Tony with the labor.

And of course, speaking French will help you with all our Parisian Scouts!

8 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Major League Baseball is 100% behind the taxpayers in small-to-medium sized communities spending $10s of millions on new facilities for their prospects to play in.  And just like in the majors they're perfectly fine telling places like Hagerstown that their tradition of having a professional baseball team for many decades is all good and well, but build us a free stadium or we're going somewhere else.

Frederick is probably on the list because Aberdeen has a nicer, newer place and they needed a place to go with the NY-Penn League going away.

Frederick is on the list because over the years it has fallen into disrepair.  Its sub standard.   The City has not spend to keep it upgraded.  It has almost nothing to do with Aberdeen.   I don't see Frederick going without a team.  Not with a 4200 per game fan base and being within a hour of Washington and Baltimore.  One of them is going to make a case to have an affiliated team there.

Tough to know without knowing what they did during this missed season for many of them. But I'll take a guess.

AAA: 2B Rylan Bannon, SS Richie Martin (or maybe Richard Urena if Martin is in Baltimore), 3B ?

AA: 2B Terrin Vavra, SS Cadyn Grenier, 3B Pat Dorrian or Willy Yahn, UT Mason McCoy

A+: 2B Adam Hall, SS Joey Ortiz, 3B Jordan Westburg

A-: 2B Anthony Servideo, SS Gunnar Henderson, 3B Toby Welk, UT Darell Hernaiz (Hernaiz could move down to GCL in July after the draft, but start here and get some run)

R: Placencia and Mayo

I do not see Elias rushing Henderson for a good run in a small sample size, but his athleticism is good enough for SS for now. I do see Westburg as a 3B only, but a modern one that is athletic and can shift and cover ground. Lots of things can change between now and then, but this is how I see it right now.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

So if that's true, does it mean that the overall level of performance in the Majors this year was off significantly because of the lack of fans?  And I guess that it affects hitting, pitching, and fielding equally since there didn't appear to be any difference in outcomes when comparing 2019 and 2020.

I think it goes without saying that performing in front of an involved crowd has an effect on attitude. That’s just human nature. It may not be quantifiable,  but I don’t think that means it’s irrelevant.

2 minutes ago, Philip said:

I think it goes without saying that performing in front of an involved crowd has an effect on attitude. That’s just human nature. It may not be quantifiable,  but I don’t think that means it’s irrelevant.

Is it actionable?  Can you do something about it?  Can you take advantage of it?  If not, it's not very relevant.

11 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Frederick is on the list because over the years it has fallen into disrepair.  Its sub standard.   The City has not spend to keep it upgraded.  It has almost nothing to do with Aberdeen.   I don't see Frederick going without a team.  Not with a 4200 per game fan base and being within a hour of Washington and Baltimore.  One of them is going to make a case to have an affiliated team there.

Aberdeen apparently has a very nice facility.  Frederick, as you mention, doesn't.  I think that's one of the primary reasons they apparently favor Aberdeen.

I agree that ceding Frederick to the Nats is not a good thing to do.  I don't know what the Nats' plans are.  They just built a new park for one of their affiliates in Fredericksburg, and they have to cut a team somewhere, too.  Frederick may end up in an independent league, probably the Atlantic League.

44 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Aberdeen apparently has a very nice facility.  Frederick, as you mention, doesn't.  I think that's one of the primary reasons they apparently favor Aberdeen.

I agree that ceding Frederick to the Nats is not a good thing to do.  I don't know what the Nats' plans are.  They just built a new park for one of their affiliates in Fredericksburg, and they have to cut a team somewhere, too.  Frederick may end up in an independent league, probably the Atlantic League.

The Nationals have two teams on the cut list.   Low A Hagerstown and Ny Penn league  Auburn Doubledays.  The Auburn team will probably be eliminated as an affiliate and the Low A team will move from Hagerstown.   Frederick would be a prime target for it.

I don't think the Frederick ends up with a Independent league team because if the Orioles don't work a deal to keep Frederick, the Nationals will want it as their Low A team.

I said it’s not quantifiable. It can’t be measured. To say that it makes no difference is to say that playing in front of an empty stadium has no more impact on a player than playing in front of a full stadium, and I think that is not true.
There are certainly guys who say, “I ignore the crowd. I just go out and play, doesn’t matter what people are saying.”
But the very fact they feel the need to say that implies that for others the presence of a crowd does make a difference.

And of course, the guys who talk about feeding off the crowd, responding to the crowd, and other such comments. If there were no difference, there would be no need for them to say it because it would be obviously meaningless. Even if they don’t mean it themselves( and those comments are common enough that I think they do mean it) if there were no difference, it wouldn’t even occur to them to mention it.

On 10/7/2020 at 6:41 AM, wildcard said:

Let's say the O's have 5 minor league teams next season.  AAA, AA, A+, A  all full season teams and short season Rookie League.

Place these O's infielders that are listed in the O's 30 prospects and tell what position they will play.

#6 Gunnar Henderson

#7 Jordan Westburg

#13 Terrin Vavra

#16 Adam Hall

#20 Anthony Servideo

#24 Coby Mayo

#25 Rylan Bannon

#30 Cadyn Grenier

2019 4th rounder  Joey Ortiz

Darell  Hernaiz

Mason McCoy

Richie Martin

Erison Placencia

Good Luck!

The ones I can place:

AAA:   Bannon 2B/3B  , Martin SS

AA: Vavra 2B

A+  Hall 2B/SS

Rookie:  Mayo 3B, Placencia SS

The rest of them  ?????

6 hours ago, Philip said:

My query was actually directed at you. I thought Drungo also is up on the minors,nand doubtless many others I miss at the moment, but you’re king of research and stats so I (cough cough) nominate you to replace monsieur Luc and help Tony with the labor.

And of course, speaking French will help you with all our Parisian Scouts!

Ranking the minor leaguers isn’t mostly about stats.    You have to be able to watch a young player and pick out really nuanced things that tell you about their chances of becoming good major leaguers.    It’s totally outside my wheelhouse. I do form loose impressions of the minor leaguers based on stats, but honestly there are dozens of posters who have a better grasp on minor league talent than I do.   

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Why would one element out of many make a significant difference?

Your good faith answer is this:  Pros get paid hundreds of thousands to tens of millions of dollars. The fan boost is great, but perhaps not necessary, though to use a season where players expected and prepared for no support as evidence of this seems weak.
Does a top 10 prospect need fans to perform well? Probably not. Does it make their job easier, make their stay more enjoyable? Absolutely. As supporters of those players I want them to be happy.