Jomboy on Manny Meltdown vs Padres

Aristotelian

15 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I tried to find a list of all time at bats but couldn’t find anything more than the top 10 or so.

I would guess that Manny has had more at bats than at least 80% of all MLers ever.

And that list is heavily slanted towards the last 30 years, and some Yankees who were in the World Series 80% of the time from 1947-1963.

A typical inner-circle HOFer had less than 100 postseason PAs.  Ted Williams went 5-for-25.  Honus Wagner played in two postseason series, Ty Cobb three, Hornsby two.  Rod Carew went 11-for-50. Schmidt had a .690 OPS in about 150 PAs.  Eddie Mathews 10-for-50.  Of course Santo, Banks, Billy Williams were a combined 0-for-0 until Williams went 0-for-7 at the very tail end of his career.

That's why the default position on including postseason stats in analysis is to just not do it, because it's all about as meaningful as last April.

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I tried to find a list of all time at bats but couldn’t find anything more than the top 10 or so.

I would guess that Manny has had more at bats than at least 80% of all MLers ever.

Easily.   First of all, everyone who played before 1969 played no more than 7 postseason games in a year, as opposed to the multiple rounds they have today.   Second of all, 80% of players don’t have as long a career as Manny’s already had (8+ seasons).   

On 10/8/2020 at 4:36 PM, Frobby said:

He had some outbursts with us, but I feel he’s been much worse since we traded him.   Of course, I’m not watching him play every day, so I probably only see him when he’s done something great or terrible.   

I also think the game has headed this way.    Behavior that was unacceptable 20 years ago is commonplace now.    I’m an old fogey so I preferred the old school way where players didn’t get overly demonstrative or overtly try to show up their opponent.    But, I guess younger folks find this appealing or at least exciting.   

What behavior was unacceptable 20 years ago?  Bat flipping?  Brawls?  Bunting to break up a no-hitter, against the shift?

10 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

If Tatis hits a homer and he does a bat flip, are you ok with that?

A pitcher celebrating is no different.

It is different, don’t be obtuse. A batter celebrating something he personally accomplished is different than a pitcher celebrating by himself after serving up a tater that was only saved by a great catch by his team mate. 

3 hours ago, survivedc said:

It is different, don’t be obtuse. A batter celebrating something he personally accomplished is different than a pitcher celebrating by himself after serving up a tater that was only saved by a great catch by his team mate. 

Yeah, I prefer the latter.   

6 hours ago, survivedc said:

He’s still celebrating.  If the batter can celebrate, so can the pitcher.