Jose Iglesias traded to Angels.

LookinUp

Just now, eddie83 said:

You really think we see Adley? I just don’t see that happening. Especially since they are pinching pennies and they kept Severino.  

They absolutely promote him unless he is hurt or not performing well. 

I think he gets into somewhere between 60-80 games in 2021 if things go according to plan.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

They absolutely promote him unless he is hurt or not performing well. 

I think he gets into somewhere between 60-80 games in 2021 if things go according to plan.

I hope you are right but my gut says otherwise.

I do agree if they do it he should be up here longer than just September call up.  That makes little sense.  

4 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Cobb is done after this year. I doubt Severino will be paid arbitration in 2022. Same with Armstrong and Valaika.  

Other than Mancini - and that is not a lock- I can’t see anyone making more than $2/3M on the team next year other than the one and only Chris Davis. 

Here is where I depart the doom and gloom of the payroll. (Not saying you aren’t justified in your thinking, I just don’t agree)

I think the future of this team, ie after 2021, is totally based on what we see this coming year.  Covid bs aside, how do these young guys perform?  Are they getting better?  Are we seeing a lot of MiL growth at positions of need?  

Let’s say the Os win 73 games in 2021 (which is the area I think they will be in).  If they manage to do AND the young guys are showing a lot of growth and development (which will have to happen for them to win 70+ games), I think we see them adding some money to this team.

Now, we have to remember that the payroll won’t likely be that high because they won’t really have expensive arb eligible players.  Those guys helped drive the payroll increases in the mid 2010s.  However, paying some significant money for free agents or trade acquisition is certainly possible.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Did you think keeping Mountcastle down as long as they did made sense?

I thought that whole deal was odd. Not sure what was going on.  I can see initially working with him at Bowie. Why that took so long? I don’t get that.  

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Here is where I depart the doom and gloom of the payroll. (Not saying you aren’t justified in your thinking, I just don’t agree)

I think the future of this team, ie after 2021, is totally based on what we see this coming year.  Covid bs aside, how do these young guys perform?  Are they getting better?  Are we seeing a lot of MiL growth at positions of need?  

Let’s say the Os win 73 games in 2021 (which is the area I think they will be in).  If they manage to do AND the young guys are showing a lot of growth and development (which will have to happen for them to win 70+ games), I think we see them adding some money to this team.

Now, we have to remember that the payroll won’t likely be that high because they won’t really have expensive arb eligible players.  Those guys helped drive the payroll increases in the mid 2010s.  However, paying some significant money for free agents or trade acquisition is certainly possible.

I agree with all of this. I don’t want us to spend just for the sake of spending. Just pointing out how low the payroll could be going. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Did you think keeping Mountcastle down as long as they did made sense?

I thought as soon as they gained the extra service time this year, he should have been up.  You could argue super 2 as well although I’m not as dug in on that one.

Adley is different though.  Mountcastle was a very flawed defensive player.  I don’t mind giving him time in the minors to learn more.

Adley won’t need that much of that if he is as good as advertised.  And that really is the case, isn’t it?  This is all based on how much love he is getting.  He needs to show that on the field and if he does, he won’t be in the minors long.

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

I agree with all of this. I don’t want us to spend just for the sake of spending. Just pointing out how low the payroll could be going. 

You have spending for the sake of spending and you have trading Iglesias to save a few million when they don't appear to have a replacement.  I don't think anyone would consider retaining Iglesias spending to spend.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Sports Guy said:

I thought as soon as they gained the extra service time this year, he should have been up.  You could argue super 2 as well although I’m not as dug in on that one.

Adley is different though.  Mountcastle was a very flawed defensive player.  I don’t mind giving him time in the minors to learn more.

Adley won’t need that much of that if he is as good as advertised.  And that really is the case, isn’t it?  This is all based on how much love he is getting.  He needs to show that on the field and if he does, he won’t be in the minors long.

I'm a firm believer in the ability of players to learn while playing in the majors.  I'm not sold that shagging flies in Bowie helped him more than shagging flies at OPACY would have, in fact I'd argue the opposite, that having defensive reps in ML parks would have been to his advantage.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

You have spending for the sake of spending and you have trading Iglesias to save a few million when they don't appear to have a replacement.  I don't think anyone would consider retaining Iglesias spending to spend.

Right. I am just talking down the road at this point. I don’t like what they are doing now but the bigger and more important question is what they are doing in a couple of seasons. I have no desire to see this becoming Tampa 2.0.  

Just now, eddie83 said:

Right. I am just talking down the road at this point. I don’t like what they are doing now but the bigger and more important question is what they are doing in a couple of seasons. I have no desire to see this becoming Tampa 2.0.  

Tampa?  As I said earlier the fear should be Pirates 2.0.

Tampa 2.0 is looking like a best case scenario.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Tampa?  As I said earlier the fear should be Pirates 2.0.

Tampa 2.0 is looking like a best case scenario.

Pirates are poorly ran. There core team aged - Cutch etc and then they have a decent year and deal Meadows and Glasnow for Archer. 

Tampa is well ran but cheap. I want us to be well ran and spend like we are capable of.  

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm a firm believer in the ability of players to learn while playing in the majors.  I'm not sold that shagging flies in Bowie helped him more than shagging flies at OPACY would have, in fact I'd argue the opposite, that having defensive reps in ML parks would have been to his advantage.

I mean that’s fine and I’m not saying you are wrong in thinking that but the Os aren’t wrong in thinking the opposite either.

Plus, having the extra year of service time is obviously something they should have done.