Orioles Lose Zach Pop and Grey Fenter in Rule Five

weams

10 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Tommy John and inactivity .... They will be playing roster games to keep him IMO

They will really have to spin some BS yarn to sell that.   Pop had his surgery in May 2019 and by his own account was fully ready to go by this summer     

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2020/09/pop-says-hes-fully-healthy-while-throwing-in-canada.html

• 2 months later...

I’ve been hunting somewhat in vain to find out what’s going on with Zach Pop in Marlins camp.   He has yet to pitch in a game.   I did see one report from Feb. 16:

“The Marlins still need to create a spot on the 40-man roster for Duvall, whose signing hasn’t been announced. One option under consideration: Placing Rule 5 pickup/right-handed pitcher Zach Pop on a list for players not yet ready for camp because of injury.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.miamiherald.com/sports/mlb/miami-marlins/article249037220.html

But I’ve seen no report that this happened.   Pop appears on the 40-man roster with no indication he’s on some kind of injured list.    

It’s a bit surprising he hasn’t pitched yet.   

On 12/15/2020 at 10:25 AM, Frobby said:

They will really have to spin some BS yarn to sell that.   Pop had his surgery in May 2019 and by his own account was fully ready to go by this summer.

17 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’ve been hunting somewhat in vain to find out what’s going on with Zach Pop in Marlins camp.   He has yet to pitch in a game.   I did see one report from Feb. 16:

“The Marlins still need to create a spot on the 40-man roster for Duvall, whose signing hasn’t been announced. One option under consideration: Placing Rule 5 pickup/right-handed pitcher Zach Pop on a list for players not yet ready for camp because of injury.

Looks like the Marlins are trying harder than the Orioles.

16 hours ago, Frobby said:

“The Marlins still need to create a spot on the 40-man roster for Duvall, whose signing hasn’t been announced. One option under consideration: Placing Rule 5 pickup/right-handed pitcher Zach Pop on a list for players not yet ready for camp because of injury.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.miamiherald.com/sports/mlb/miami-marlins/article249037220.html

But I’ve seen no report that this happened.   Pop appears on the 40-man roster with no indication he’s on some kind of injured list.    

It’s a bit surprising he hasn’t pitched yet.   

As I said when he was drafted and then traded to the Marlins... Zach Pop isn't coming back. I think the decision to keep him over some who have little to no chance of helping this team when it becomes competitive was wrong. It was a silly gamble and it didn't work. 

18 hours ago, Frobby said:

Fenter has thrown one scoreless inning so far, one walk, no strikeouts for the Cubs.  

Fenter should be returned. If they aren't giving him innings then they've pretty much decided already he's going to be offered back most likely. He was a serious stretch to make that jump.

Realistically speaking, I don't think Pop has the profile of a guy that you play serious games with just to keep.

If he's good, they'll want to use him. If he's not that good, they'll send him back. If he's legit injured, sure they'll work with him. But while I know we didn't like to lose this guy, we're not talking about an Andrew Miller type of profile here. He's a minor league reliever with some upside if healthy. That's not worth gaming the system to keep.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Realistically speaking, I don't think Pop has the profile of a guy that you play serious games with just to keep.

If he's good, they'll want to use him. If he's not that good, they'll send him back. If he's legit injured, sure they'll work with him. But while I know we didn't like to lose this guy, we're not talking about an Andrew Miller type of profile here. He's a minor league reliever with some upside if healthy. That's not worth gaming the system to keep.

Pop is also a ground ball guy vs a strike out guy and doesn't miss a ton of bats. He does however get a lot of weak contact which is a strength. I think the fact he hasn't pitched bodes well for us getting him back. Could they game the system and IL him, then send him on continual rehabs and then use him next year when he may be ready, sure, I guess they could. But will they? 

I mean we did the same thing with Santander and it worked out pretty good so I guess the possibility exists that they will do something similar. I think the odds of getting him back are 70-30 in favor of getting him back.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Pop is also a ground ball guy vs a strike out guy and doesn't miss a ton of bats. He does however get a lot of weak contact which is a strength. I think the fact he hasn't pitched bodes well for us getting him back. Could they game the system and IL him, then send him on continual rehabs and then use him next year when he may be ready, sure, I guess they could. But will they? 

I mean we did the same thing with Santander and it worked out pretty good so I guess the possibility exists that they will do something similar. I think the odds of getting him back are 70-30 in favor of getting him back.

And then they have to keep him all next year, which is still just as UNlikely as any Rule V. :noidea: