Should the Os look into Kris Bryant?

Sports Guy

It would make sense if the Orioles were willing to pay and not have to give up much in terms of prospects, but only because he could be a better trade chip if he returns to form. 

I just don't see the Orioles, who are cutting guys over $2 million salaries and saying they made coaching changes due to budget concerns are going to do anything remotely like this. 

I don't see the Orioles getting into the Free Agent market until they think they can actually contend and even then, as long as the Angelos' own the club, I don't see them being big players due to the financial situation of the team (Loss of MASN dollars, loss of territory due to the Nats, plummeting attendance, a city with image problems, etc).

The Orioles are going to have to become like the Rays to have a chance every couple of years when things work. I don't see them ever being players for top line free agents.

• Upvote 2

Yes.  Rebuilding teams (who expect to compete with large market teams like the Yankees or Boston), should use flexible payrolls to build talent pools (especially former MVPs) - provided the cost in prospects is extremely minimal (they almost didn't tender him a contract.)

"But TB doesn't do this and they compete."

Wrong.  Tampa Bay completely does this.  In 2017 TB paid Wilson Ramos $12.5 million on a two year deal, the first year of which was entirely rehab.  Although he was not traded for much of value it shows the willingness of a superior run organization to take these risks.

That said...they will not.

• Upvote 1

I have Kris Bryant psychobabble and think he'll be good for his next club, but I think the essence here is can the Adley-nucleus entice a Cardinals McGwire/Holliday fast hometown discount on a good player?

As a Lindor Cohort enthusiast for '22, certainly if Gunnar looks like a real shortstop next year, you maybe get Arenado and Bryant in that tier of player too for entering 2022.

4 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

The Cubs are reportedly looking to deal Bryant.  He is owed 18M this year and, combined with him having an off 2020, means it probably won’t take a ton to acquire him.  

Putting aside the idea that the Os wouldn’t add his salary, do you think this is something they should explore?  

No, I would not think so. I don't think they are at that part of the real rebuild. That would make it like the Phillies rebuild. 

I also believe the financial shortfall and virus fall out are real. And before you school me, my Dad has Covid and my friend died of it. 

56 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Yes.  Rebuilding teams (who expect to compete with large market teams like the Yankees or Boston), should use flexible payrolls to build talent pools (especially former MVPs) - provided the cost in prospects is extremely minimal (they almost didn't tender him a contract.)

"But TB doesn't do this and they compete."

Wrong.  Tampa Bay completely does this.  In 2017 TB paid Wilson Ramos $12.5 million on a two year deal, the first year of which was entirely rehab.  Although he was not traded for much of value it shows the willingness of a superior run organization to take these risks.

That said...they will not.

In fairness, that Ramos contract is nothing like Bryant's.  1 yr/ $18.6 million >>> 2 yrs/$12.5 million.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

The Orioles are going to have to become like the Rays to have a chance every couple of years when things work. I don't see them ever being players for top line free agents.

And to be clear, even though Bryant is available in a trade, he's still going to be a FA in a year, so we'd essentially be trading assets for 1 expensive year and the opportunity to sign a top line free agent.

This is the type of deal for a team that's going for it. We are not going for it in 2021 and I don't think we should be paying for a guy in cash and prospects just to be somewhat more competitive. 

• Upvote 1

I'd rather just make a robust effort to sign Ha-Seong Kim since he would:

A) be cheaper in terms of annual salary

B) not cost us any prospects whatsoever

C) actually have a chance to be part of the next competitive O's team since he will almost certainly get 3 years or more

D) be able to be plugged in at multiple IF spots depending on future moves and prospect development

That said, neither move is going to happen. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

I'd rather just make a robust effort to sign Ha-Seong Kim since he would:

A) be cheaper in terms of annual salary

B) not cost us any prospects whatsoever

C) actually have a chance to be part of the next competitive O's team since he will almost certainly get 3 years or more

D) be able to be plugged in at multiple IF spots depending on future moves and prospect development

That said, neither move is going to happen. 

Looks like the Blue Jays are courting Kim right now with the help of their star pitcher Hyun Jin Ryu. 

https://jaysjournal.com/2020/12/11/blue-jays-ryu-helping-to-convince-kbo-star-ha-seong-kim/

1 hour ago, Number5 said:

In fairness, that Ramos contract is nothing like Bryant's.  1 yr/ $18.6 million >>> 2 yrs/$12.5 million.

You are looking at the term of the deal and not the investment in the asset.  Its a 1 year contract for return on investment.  They only get value out of the second year so yes it is similar.  $12.5 vs. 18.6, but the potential value of Bryant is a lot more than Ramos as well.

Additionally, and more to the point, the Orioles need to use payroll flexibility to take chances and improve the roster.  If there were a payroll minimum they would be doing exactly that.

An approach of tearing the payroll all the way down, trading what few assets you have (for breadth of prospects no less) and hoping to hit in the draft is never going to yield a competitive roster even if you plan to supplement with free agents (which I have no faith the current Orioles ownership is willing to do.)

The Orioles are bing run like a small market team.  Hell, they are a small market team, so they need to take chances.  The Rays do it.  The A's do it.  And those are small market teams that sustain success.

The other ones, they get one shot, and it wrecks them for years afterward.  See Royals/Brewers.

8 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Looks like the Blue Jays are courting Kim right now with the help of their star pitcher Hyun Jin Ryu. 

https://jaysjournal.com/2020/12/11/blue-jays-ryu-helping-to-convince-kbo-star-ha-seong-kim/

Like I said, I have no expectation of the Orioles making any effort to sign Kim, which is unfortunate since I think he makes a metric butt ton of sense for us since we are drowning in OFs and nearly ready OF prospects but have virtually no IF prospects on the near-term horizon. 

30 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

And to be clear, even though Bryant is available in a trade, he's still going to be a FA in a year, so we'd essentially be trading assets for 1 expensive year and the opportunity to sign a top line free agent.

This is the type of deal for a team that's going for it. We are not going for it in 2021 and I don't think we should be paying for a guy in cash and prospects just to be somewhat more competitive. 

In fairness, I think SG's idea would be to try and flip him for better assets at the trading deadline then the ones we would be giving up. 

Saying that, I don't see this happening and unless Chicago is willing to eat a lot of that contract, it really doesn't make sense to take on that risk of him not returning to his former self and not getting top level prospects for a stretch drive rental.

• Upvote 1