Trade Bait 2021

ScGO's

6 minutes ago, wildcard said:

What about Means, Grayson, DL, Bradish, Adley, Mancini, Mountcastle, Mullins, Santander, Hays, Stewart, Ortiz, Vavra does not say winner to you?

In 2023 yes, that’s why we should be trading any players not named there to get more bullets/better bullets to fire at that season and beyond. 

Relievers are as expendable as ever with expanded rosters, and 10 man bullpens. Anytime you can trade a reliever from a last place team for a everyday player/SP, then you have to make that trade. You just have to. 

Plus we all know how volatile relievers are. Sell high!!!!!

Somebody on Twitter was arguing with me about Fry. He said we could equal return for him to Castro/Givens. I explained the upside of those two were higher (particularly Givens who was used as a pitcher like every single mlb club scouted him as unlike Jim “worst scouting director ever” Jordan, but I digress). 

Fry was an eyelash from not making the club and people are expecting some huge return for Fry? 

Unbelievable.

16 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Would you really want Fry to be closer of a winning ballclub? That doesn't seem like a great plan. 

I'll tell you in a month.  If he is doing well as a closer at the trade deadline I would not trade him.  We have some time to see what happens.

6 minutes ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

Somebody on Twitter was arguing with me about Fry. He said we could equal return for him to Castro/Givens. I explained the upside of those two were higher (particularly Givens who was used as a pitcher like every single mlb club scouted him as unlike Jim “worst scouting director ever” Jordan, but I digress). 

Fry was an eyelash from not making the club and people are expecting some huge return for Fry? 

Unbelievable.

Fry has been better than both of those guy recently and is still controllable beyond this year. I think he's proven himself in the big leagues as well as, if not better than, Castro had at the time he was traded. 

14 minutes ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

Unbelievable.

Well, it depends on who you think Fry is.  He has been up here for 4 seasons.  He has been very good in 3 of those 4 season.  The problem is, those have been small sample sizes each year.  

His largest sample size was in 2019 and he wasn’t that good.  

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

I'll tell you in a month.  If he is doing well as a closer at the trade deadline I would not trade him.  We have some time to see what happens.

We have seen him for 3+ years. The next month shouldn't tell us anything. Just 1.5 months ago we started the year with a 35 year old dead fish change up artist to keep from having to trust guys like Fry. I'm not sure I'm trading him but I'm also not planning on him being our closer for next year. For one thing, he is left handed and you usually want those guys to match up. 

I agree, the whole "sell high on any reliever" is a well that we have gone to repeatedly but eventually it's going to run dry. At some point you need to build up a good bullpen and I don't know who the next man up is if we were to trade Fry and Sulser. 

5 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

We have seen him for 3+ years. The next month shouldn't tell us anything. Just 1.5 months ago we started the year with a 35 year old dead fish change up artist to keep from having to trust guys like Fry. I'm not sure I'm trading him but I'm also not planning on him being our closer for next year. For one thing, he is left handed and you usually want those guys to match up. 

I agree, the whole "sell high on any reliever" is a well that we have gone to repeatedly but eventually it's going to run dry. At some point you need to build up a good bullpen and I don't know who the next man up is if we were to trade Fry and Sulser. 

But I will say that Elias has shown an ability to get decent return for relievers.   I like what he got for Givens and for Castro.

5 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Good points.  

Fry has not been a closer until the last week or two.  I want more time to evaluate him as a closer.  But your point on him being a valuable part the pen is a good one.

I have said that I'm torn over trading Fry.  Here's why.  If we get a good return, it's a no brainer.  Make the trade.  But this team is hard to watch most nights.  It will be harder more nights if Fry is traded.  At least for this year.  This team is better with Fry.  But, future teams could be better because we traded Fry.

I just want to watch decent baseball.

1 hour ago, NCRaven said:

I have said that I'm torn over trading Fry.  Here's why.  If we get a good return, it's a no brainer.  Make the trade.  But this team is hard to watch most nights.  It will be harder more nights if Fry is traded.  At least for this year.  This team is better with Fry.  But, future teams could be better because we traded Fry.

I just want to watch decent baseball.

So you are saying that if you trade Fry the O's are more likely to get a higher draft choice, Right?   I think if you look at the starting pitch the rest of this year, they will take care of that with or without Fry.

Also there is the injury factor.  The O's are almost completely healthy right now.  That will not last.

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

What about Means, Grayson, DL, Bradish, Adley, Mancini, Mountcastle, Mullins, Santander, Hays, Stewart, Ortiz, Vavra does not say winner to you?

I don't believe most of the rookies start at the ML level next season. I think they should, but I don't know if the FO agrees with that.

1 minute ago, maybenxtyr said:

I don't believe most of the rookies start at the ML level next season. I think they should, but I don't know if the FO agrees with that.

I think it 100% depends on the new CBA.  I think that if it doesn't effect the team negativly we are suddenly going to see a bunch of players that have "earned" promotion to the majors.  If an advantage can be gained by gaming their clocks they "will still have things to work on".