Trade Bait 2021

ScGO's

I could argue that I'd trade Fry just for a higher draft choice, if that's what I expected to receive.

I could argue that I'd trade Fry for a nice return in the eyes of Elias and Sig.

I can't argue to not trade Fry unless the return just isn't much of anything. In that case, sure, keep him.

46 minutes ago, wildcard said:

So you are saying that if you trade Fry the O's are more likely to get a higher draft choice, Right?   I think if you look at the starting pitch the rest of this year, they will take care of that with or without Fry.

Also there is the injury factor.  The O's are almost completely healthy right now.  That will not last.

You didn't forget that Davis has been out all year right? 

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

So you are saying that if you trade Fry the O's are more likely to get a higher draft choice, Right?   I think if you look at the starting pitch the rest of this year, they will take care of that with or without Fry.

Also there is the injury factor.  The O's are almost completely healthy right now.  That will not last.

I’m saying that Fry helps us not suck right now.  The prospects we get for Fry could help us later.  It’s a trade off.  I’m tired of watching us suck.  That’s all.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

I’m saying that Fry helps us not suck right now.  The prospects we get for Fry could help us later.  It’s a trade off.  I’m tired of watching us suck.  That’s all.

And not only are some of us tired of watching us suck... but it would appear that we could be in a not-sucking situation if we start to accumulate and hold some of the mid-level resources that are part of making a not-sucking team.

At some point they've got to decide the tide is turning, and that holding on to a few potentially valuable pieces is more important than trading them for a handful of magic beans that might sprout five years from now

• Upvote 2

Paul Fry is warming to come Into the bottoms of the 8th in a game we’re losing 4-2. Man, he’s really key to us being competitive. 

Always sell high on relievers for options that can be SP or everyday position players. Wait too long, and even the one of the greatest relievers of this century brings back Josh Rodgers, Dillon Tate, Cody Carroll, and Breyvic Valera. SMH. 

Sell Sky High on Fry now. 

• Upvote 2

I saw some of the A’s game flipping channels and they were talking about their need for a shortstop and looking for an upgrade to Andrus who has been awful.  That seems like a perfect fit for Galvis and Oakland.  They don’t spend lot of money and Galvis is pretty low cost in terms of return and salary.  I could see a trade with them happening and some low level prospects or maybe another starter that is close to ready but no spots for them in their rotation right now.  We are going to have to get innings still this season so why not try another Lowthee, Aiken, Zimmerman type into fold.  So someone around late 20s prospect in their farm.  They have a few guys that fit that bill to give them a chance here.

9 hours ago, bpilktree said:

I saw some of the A’s game flipping channels and they were talking about their need for a shortstop and looking for an upgrade to Andrus who has been awful.  That seems like a perfect fit for Galvis and Oakland.  They don’t spend lot of money and Galvis is pretty low cost in terms of return and salary.  I could see a trade with them happening and some low level prospects or maybe another starter that is close to ready but no spots for them in their rotation right now.  We are going to have to get innings still this season so why not try another Lowthee, Aiken, Zimmerman type into fold.  So someone around late 20s prospect in their farm.  They have a few guys that fit that bill to give them a chance here.

I was surprised to learn that Galvis is one of the worst defensive SS in baseball. It is highly doubtful anybody wants him.

4 hours ago, Philip said:

I was surprised to learn that Galvis is one of the worst defensive SS in baseball. It is highly doubtful anybody wants him.

His defensive war is 16th among qualified shortstops which isn’t great but he has committed only 3 errors which is near the best in baseball.  Andrus is dead last in defensive War and committed 9 errors.  Galvis doesn’t have the best range but he doesn’t make errors to balls he gets too.  He is still a big upgrade for them and also would not cost much in salary.  

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Paul Fry is warming to come Into the bottoms of the 8th in a game we’re losing 4-2. Man, he’s really key to us being competitive. 

Always sell high on relievers for options that can be SP or everyday position players. Wait too long, and even the one of the greatest relievers of this century brings back Josh Rodgers, Dillon Tate, Cody Carroll, and Breyvic Valera. SMH. 

Sell Sky High on Fry now. 

Valera was part of the Machado trade, not the Britton trade,

50 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

His defensive war is 16th among qualified shortstops which isn’t great but he has committed only 3 errors which is near the best in baseball.  Andrus is dead last in defensive War and committed 9 errors.  Galvis doesn’t have the best range but he doesn’t make errors to balls he gets too.  He is still a big upgrade for them and also would not cost much in salary.  

Well if they want him, they are welcome to him. 

• 3 weeks later...

Indians’ RF Josh Naylor suffered a broken leg in a horrific collision with their second baseman in today’s game against the Twins. From the look of it he’s almost certainly out for the season. The team is in second place in the ALC, two games back of the White Sox, so they have to be in the market for an outfielder going forward. Cleveland’s top prospect is 3rd baseman / RF Nolan Jones, but he’s only batting .215 at AAA Columbus. Jones was drafted by the Indians as a 3rd baseman, but with Jose Ramirez at that position for the foreseeable future the team decided to move the prospect to the outfield. 

Who would we deal to Cleveland? Who would we want back? 

EDIT: I’ll answer my own question with a quick back of the envelope proposal — Mullins to the Indians for Jones and SS Tyler Freeman. Mullins absolutely destroyed the Indians earlier this season, so I have to think they’d kill to have him in their outfield for the next couple years. Jones and Freeman are both top 100 prospects, but Jones is blocked at his natural position by an All Star, and Freeman is still at AA. 

Would the Tribe balk at this? 

51 minutes ago, ShoelesJoe said:

Indians’ RF Josh Naylor suffered a broken leg in a horrific collision with their second baseman in today’s game against the Twins. From the look of it he’s almost certainly out for the season. The team is in second place in the ALC, two games back of the White Sox, so they have to be in the market for an outfielder going forward. Cleveland’s top prospect is 3rd baseman / RF Nolan Jones, but he’s only batting .215 at AAA Columbus. Jones was drafted by the Indians as a 3rd baseman, but with Jose Ramirez at that position for the foreseeable future the team decided to move the prospect to the outfield. 

Who would we deal to Cleveland? Who would we want back? 

EDIT: I’ll answer my own question with a quick back of the envelope proposal — Mullins to the Indians for Jones and SS Tyler Freeman. Mullins absolutely destroyed the Indians earlier this season, so I have to think they’d kill to have him in their outfield for the next couple years. Jones and Freeman are both top 100 prospects, but Jones is blocked at his natural position by an All Star, and Freeman is still at AA. 

Would the Tribe balk at this? 

The Indians( better call ‘em that now while you still can) would love Mullins. I have no idea who you have mentioned, but the Indians have a lot of good pitching, so I’d bet Elias would want a pitcher. Shame that Santander is hobbling. Maybe we can make them take Stewart too.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/7/2021 at 10:12 AM, ScGO's said:

Monthly Update

As we head towards the middle of June, the O's trade bait picture is becoming a little clear, and the list a little shorter

Big Chips

1) John Means - The trip to the IL is a speed bump, but if he returns strong, the O's should continue to listen to offers. Elias and co. need to also weigh the benefits of an extension as well.  But if you can get multiple top 100 prospects back, do you make this deal?

2) Trey Mancini - RBI machine hopefully continues to see OPS climb towards .900.  This trade deadline is also starting to look like his peak value; I think he returns a Top 100 prospect. Mountcastle sliding to 1B will help long term as well.

3) Cedric Mullins - No rush to trade, but also worth listening to offers if someone is willing to overpay.

4) Anthony Santander - Hopefully numbers improve as he is now healthy.  Teams may be reluctant to trade for him if he doesn't improve onbase skills or stay off the IL. He has shown a lot of physicality over the last 3 seasons that teams seem to like though. If he goes on a tear before the deadline, I could see someone over paying for him.

Smaller Deals

5) Tanner Scott - Power arm, still needs to find control. I could see a similar trade that we saw for Castro or Givens. His value could sky rocket if he figures it out though. I guess that's the gamble Elias has to take in trading now or later on Scott.

6) Cole Sulser - Unique stuff as he gets lefties out.  I think that makes him more valuable than we think, especially with the new rule to face a min of 3 batters.

7) Paul Fry - He's been pretty good for about 4 seasons now and he seems to have figured something out as his K's per 9 is up to 13.1. Again, a Givens/Castro type deal makes sense here.

8 ) Freddy Galvis - Middle infield depth for a playoff bound team that is unhappy with their 2B or SS options?  If he can stay around .780 OPS, I could see a small deal made similar to a Cashner return.

And that's all she wrote I believe as the bubbles on Armstrong, Harvey, and Valdez have all seemed to have burst.  Maybe Franco catches fire in the next month or so, but that's it.

We are a little more than 3 weeks from the trade deadline.  The list has shrunk a bit, but we still have some candidates

Main Chip

Trey Mancini - He'll be 30 next season and in the last year of his arbitration before Free Agency.  OPS should climb back over .800 at some point this season, and its safe to say that most teams would feel confident that he has recovered fully.  I know its trivial, but a good performance in the HR Derby could draw some positive attention to him as well.  Hope to get 2 to 4 solid pieces in return

The Art of Negotiation

Cedric Mullins and John Means - No pressure to trade as they are cheap and controllable. But I am sure Elias is trying to see what teams are willing to surrender for the two budding stars.  I saw Means rehabbed in Aberdeen the other night, so he should be able to get a couple starts in before the deadline to prove his health.  Mullins AS selection helps. Elias could also trade them further down the road, especially if Elias goes into 2022 hoping to be competitive; if it shows that they are still a couple years away, Means and Mullins could be shipped out this time next year.  Elias probably pulls the trigger if he is returning 3 to 5 extremely talented players in either deal.

The Wildcard

Anthony Santander - He's been disappointing this season.  The talent is real, and I believe scouts took notice last season.  The injuries and the lack of patience at the plate hurt his stock.  But some team's scouting department may see the power, the defense, and see the 2019-2020 performance as enough to buy in on the 26 year old OF.  Elias won't give him up for free as he does have 3 more years of arbitration, but he's going to get a raise from his $2.1 million salary and I don't know how much cost cutting Elias is trying to really do.  It will be interesting to see how Elias approaches this situation.  He would have to feel like he is getting a return similar to what Mancini would return.

The 3 LH Relievers (Kind of)

Tanner Scott - ERA is back down to 2.73 with a 3.10 FIP, 13.1 K/9. WHIP is 1.42 with the 7.1 BB/9, so it depends on how much a team hates walks.  He's been really good since his crappy May.  Gotta love the near 100 MPH heat too.

Paul Fry - He's been scuffling a bit lately, but he's been consistent enough over 4 seasons, and even with his recent struggles, he's sporting a career best K/9 (12.2) and FIP (2.29). I believe he also showed an increase in velocity this season.  Both Fry and Scott have 3 full years of arbitration after this season as well.

Cole Sulser - He's right handed, but dominates lefties who only hit .151 off of Sulser with a .476 OPS. Although he will have 4 more years of control after this season, he will also be 32 next year.  If each one of these players can get a return similar to Givens or Castro, I hope Elias gets some deals done as I believe relievers aren't as difficult to replace as starters

Long Shots

Mikael Franco - In the month of June, he OPSd .768. He would have to get hot over the next couple weeks, but if he found a power surge, and someone was desperate for RH power or a 3rd baseman, he could be flipped for a C- prospect as he is owed very little money.

Freddy Galvis - Most likely injured up to the trade deadline, but if he was completing a rehab assignment and showing good health, much like Franco, he is cheap and could help a team desperate for MIF depth.

Ramon Urias - I hope they wouldn't trade him, but he has OPSd .852 since arriving in Baltimore last year.  If he keeps this up through July, perhaps someone approaches Elias about Urias.  I don't think Elias is looking to shop the 27 year old infielder, but I could see why someone may be interested.  He would have 5 years of control left too.  A contender would have to believe he could help them win in the playoffs.  That's a lot to prove in a couple weeks.

• Upvote 1