Did the O's just sign their backup catcher of the future?

wildcard

14 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Lol, this is different. This guy actually has a chance to be the backup catcher of the future. The question is whether that is actually a thing to be excited about. It's more along the lines of discovering a third favorite brand of mustard, or a new brand of disposable razor for your travel bag. Sure, these things improve your life incrementally but they're not really anything to get excited about. 

Alstertor Dusseldorf Style in the little glass barrel.  First two are Händlmaier Hausmacher Senf, and Händlmaier Bayerischer Süßer Senf.

12 hours ago, Philip said:

Taylor Teagarden says hi.

and He didn’t offer defense either.

In 2012 Taylor Teagarden was 6th on the team in WPA (among position players) despite hitting .158 in just 64 PAs.  Essentially all of his hits came in the key moments of close games.  No, it's not predictive of anything, he isn't magic.  But it did happen.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ruzious said:

What's the harm in signing the guy?  Not sure why folks are making a big deal about it.  It's not like he's blocking anyone considered a prospect.  

There is ZERO harm, very low risk.

Just some of us are amazed, we are already penciled him in as the new heir to the background catcher gig for the next few years.

7 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

There is ZERO harm, very low risk.

Just some of us are amazed, we are already penciled him in as the new heir to the background catcher gig for the next few years.

He certainly could be.  He fits the traditional (and stupid I might add) profile of what you look for.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He certainly could be.  He fits the traditional (and stupid I might add) profile of what you look for.

could be.
he also could just be ST glove behind the plate and depth at AAA.

Personally, my backup catcher needs to be a glove first, and having a bat does help. If they had both tools, they would be starting somewhere. :)

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'd like a backup catcher that can pinch hit in the 9th and hit a dong.

Yea..I want someone who is actually good.   I don’t see the reason to have to be good at one thing or the other.  Just be a solid guy.  Obviously, as a back up, you won’t be a great player but you shouldn’t be a zero with the bat or the glove either. 

Yea..I want someone who is actually good.   I don’t see the reason to have to be good at one thing or the other.  Just be a solid guy.  Obviously, as a back up, you won’t be a great player but you shouldn’t be a zero with the bat or the glove either. 

The way catching is it is pretty hard to get someone actually good as a backup.  Just not many of them around.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The way catching is it is pretty hard to get someone actually good as a backup.  Just not many of them around.

Sure..but again, someone who can’t hit at all or field at all shouldn’t be in consideration.

I’d rather have Severino as the back up than this guy.

Sure..but again, someone who can’t hit at all or field at all shouldn’t be in consideration.

I’d rather have Severino as the back up than this guy.

The defense would have to be worse than Sisco or Severino before I'd be worried about it if he's the backup.  Obviously a point does exist in which the defense is too poor.