They asked Mancini and Santander to defer money

eddie83

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

A lot of the Davis money is deferred.  The O's will be paying Davis for many years to come.

As for why, it's simple, future money is worth less.

He still gets $17 million which is probably more than they will pay Santander and Mancini combined. If they wanted them together to defer 3 million dollars and pay it on 2022. Why not ask CD to do the same thing. I know future money is worth less...But to me its a detriment if its counted against their available money for payroll. Hopefully when the Orioles are sold the Angelos' family will have to payout Davis with an escrow that doesn't affect the new group

Just now, Roll Tide said:

He still gets $17 million which is probably more than they will pay Santander and Mancini combined. If they wanted them together to defer 3 million dollars and pay it on 2022. Why not ask CD to do the same thing. I know future money is worth less...But to me its a detriment if its counted against their available money for payroll. Hopefully when the Orioles are sold the Angelos' family will have to payout Davis with an escrow that doesn't affect the new group

I'm guessing Davis would say no.

If they sell the team whatever money that is left on the Davis deal will be accounted for in the price.

22 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm guessing Davis would say no.

If they sell the team whatever money that is left on the Davis deal will be accounted for in the price.

Well thats good! Maybe they asked Davis....But why would he say no? They already collected more money than they will ever be able to spend. Honestly, It likely improves his tax situation as he likely can keep more later

2 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Well thats good! Maybe they asked Davis....But why would he say no? They already collected more money than they will ever be able to spend. Honestly, It likely improves his tax situation as he likely can keep more later

As a pessimist I'll reply with why would he say yes?  It's not his problem.

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

The situation is fundamentally different. These were offers to players who are negotiating new contracts for 2021. They declined, as is their right.  Davis has a contract, though, what incentive does he have to agree? 

54 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

5 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

The situation is fundamentally different. These were offers to players who are negotiating new contracts for 2021. They declined, as is their right.  Davis has a contract, though, what incentive does he have to agree? 

Taxes benefits .... Lets say they go to Chris and say we are offering to defer $7 million dollars. And I'm not a tax guy but, I assume the more you make the more taxes you pay. Davis has made all of the money he is going to make in professional baseball with this contract.

So he pays taxes this year on 10 million and then add 1.5 million to his 3.5 per year payments after he is retired or playing independent baseball.

9 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

And .... Why anyone would defer money on a 1 year deal on their contract before free agency is beyond me

23 hours ago, Frobby said:

MASN is not that much of a cash cow these days.    Between the arbitration decision hiking the rights fees and the lost revenue from cord cutting, it’s way less profitable than it used to be.    That, plus playing games with nobody in the stands, has cost the team a lot of money.     

Yeah there are like 20 RSN's in the league, 19 of them are cash cows and make money hand over fist for teams, but the O's have the only one that doesn't make any money. Wait a minute, they actually own 2 RSN's with a combined market of 4th largest, and THAT RSN isn't making any money. Story checks out. 

3 hours ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Anyone expecting this ownership group to spend money when the time comes might be very mistaken.  Under the SQ I am thinking it's more likely you get to enjoy our homegrown talent for 4-5 years before they are shipped off.  I follow the Pirates too, those alarms are going off here too.  Its heartbreaking.

Its certainly possible.   I'm a cheerleader for 2022's core, and do expect $$$ spent when time, but we'll never know the real financials, and granted it is a unique situation.

The Taillon return bothersome at first glance, though I know most of the clubs have a view of alternate site data, and we don't know if all these 19 and 20 year olds were A ball breakouts.   Pittsburgh really couldn't have paid him $1M to pitch half a year, and if he's any good at all, you have a view of 29 other clubs minor leaguers first halves, and maybe a lot more than this on paper.

It'll be easy to build a case to punt '22 too if the Best Guys are meh or worse.

5 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

And on top of it, clearly Davis is about Davis. Why would he do anything to help an organization that he won't retire from even though it's clear to everyone to he's an embarrassment on a major league field?

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

And on top of it, clearly Davis is about Davis. Why would he do anything to help an organization that he won't retire from even though it's clear to everyone to he's an embarrassment on a major league field?

Davis wouldn’t even put in time during the off-season to at least try and fix his swing. Even worse he lied about working out to the media.

The only saving grace is Davis donations to University of Maryland Children’s Hospital. 

7 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Because the Orioles knew what they signed up for ?...