MLB Pipeline Top 100 list released

MurphDogg

18 hours ago, murph said:

Law also uses the term "overpay" when talking about signing Kjerstad below slow to get Mayo and Baulmer.  Wonder if that was just poor wording or if he really doesn't like that strategy?   Or is Law really does just hate this organization....

I just listened to an interesting podcast of Fangraphs’ Eric Longenhagen talking with Keith Law about the methodology of assembling a top 100 list, especially this year with the lack of a minor league season.    It runs about 33 minutes, starting at 24:26: https://blogs.fangraphs.com/fangraphs-audio-alex-avila-and-keith-law-know-their-stuff/

A few highlights:

- Law actually admits that his first few lists weren’t very good.   
- Both agree that the alternate site was not a good basis for evaluating players, especially hitters.   Not enough competitiveness with pitching inside, not at real game velocity (lack of adrenalin), and seeing the same pitchers over and over.   
- They disagree pretty strongly on Austin Martin, with Law ranking him 14 and Longenhagen saying he’ll end up around 40 on his list.    Main differences of opinion centered on whether Martin will end up at a premium position, and how much power and speed he has.   Both agreed he has superb control of the strike zone.

- At 39:50 of the audio, Law says that he has always hated the Orioles organization and goes out of his way to downgrade all of their prospects.   
- Just kidding on that last one.

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

- At 39:50 of the audio, Law says that he has always hated the Orioles organization and goes out of his way to downgrade all of their prospects.   
- Just kidding on that last one.

I do think it's absolutely true that Law became skeptical of O's prospects whenever he heard there was tinkering going on by the old regime. Now, I'm not going to say he didn't have reason to be skeptical, but it definitely effected the way he looked at our prospects. He's been very complimentary of Elias so I don't think it's a factor anymore.

I also think that Law is way more stubborn in his evaluations than other outlets. Mountcastle is a great example. I read his chats from time to time and his reasoning for not having Mountcastle in the top 100 was because he thought the damage he did last year was mostly off of bad pitching. Off the top of my head I know he took Deivi Garcia (top 100 prospect) deep and hit a bases loaded double off Gerrit Cole. Just seemed like a very lazy take. You can maybe justify not having him on there because of defense or plate discipline but it's pretty obvious to everybody but him that the hit tool is real.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LTO's said:

I do think it's absolutely true that Law became skeptical of O's prospects whenever he heard there was tinkering going on by the old regime. Now, I'm not going to say he didn't have reason to be skeptical, but it definitely effected the way he looked at our prospects. He's been very complimentary of Elias so I don't think it's a factor anymore.

I also think that Law is way more stubborn in his evaluations than other outlets. Mountcastle is a great example. I read his chats from time to time and his reasoning for not having Mountcastle in the top 100 was because he thought the damage he did last year was mostly off of bad pitching. Off the top of my head I know he took Deivi Garcia (top 100 prospect) deep and hit a bases loaded double off Gerrit Cole. Just seemed like a very lazy take. You can maybe justify not having him on there because of defense or plate discipline but it's pretty obvious to everybody but him that the hit tool is real.

I think he grades the player not the organization.   I also think he's interested in having enough outside the norm content to keep eyes on him.  When you go big and get it right in it makes more of an impact than when you go big and get it wrong.