Trezza: Orioles 'listening,' but how likely is a trade?

Roll Tide

41 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’ll probably be a laughing stock for saying this, but I could be OK with an extension of Mancini shows he’s returned to form and isn’t asking for the moon and stars.    

He'll be 31 when he's a Free Agent so thats really cutting it close to the end for many position players. Maybe a year or too left as an everyday player at most.  

5 hours ago, jabba72 said:

He'll be 31 when he's a Free Agent so thats really cutting it close to the end for many position players. Maybe a year or too left as an everyday player at most.  

I pretty much talked myself out of it overnight.   Now I’ll see if I talk myself back into it if Mancini has a good year.   But I spent a few more minutes looking at the players who were 30-33 during the 2017-19 window and decided that Mancini’s odds weren’t good.   

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=y&type=8&season=2019&month=0&season1=2017&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=30,33&filter=&players=0&startdate=&enddate=&page=2_30

8 hours ago, Frobby said:

I pretty much talked myself out of it overnight.   Now I’ll see if I talk myself back into it if Mancini has a good year.   But I spent a few more minutes looking at the players who were 30-33 during the 2017-19 window and decided that Mancini’s odds weren’t good.   

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=y&type=8&season=2019&month=0&season1=2017&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=30,33&filter=&players=0&startdate=&enddate=&page=2_30

With that information and the added fact that his health will always be a question after his unfortunate diagnosis, plus the redundancy of able body less expensive players I don't see an extension happening. 

4 minutes ago, joelala said:

Am I missing the green font? Why would we ever extend him?

Because ownership intervened?  Why would we sign Davis to that idiotic contract?  Why do the Angels do all the stupid stuff they do?

I think a Mancini extension would indicate that the new ownership isn't going to be hands off as promised.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Because ownership intervened?  Why would we sign Davis to that idiotic contract?  Why do the Angels do all the stupid stuff they do?

I think a Mancini extension would indicate that the new ownership isn't going to be hands off as promised.

Ehh I don’t see the sons being as meddlesome or as sentimental as the father. Maybe wishful thinking on my part, certainly. A Mancini extension would be asinine. 

11 hours ago, Frobby said:

He'll get whatever the market says he's worth in two years unless the O's extend him early. Im hoping he stays productive. 

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think Elias would quit over it.

How often does a GM type quit over something like that?

He certainly would hesitate to sign a new contract, and seriously look at all other job possibilities l.  I should say “beginning of the end” perhaps.