How Rutschman steals strikes

wildcard

6 hours ago, Frobby said:

It seems to me this would likely be counterproductive.    If I’m an umpire and I see they are bringing some catcher in late in the game to try to steal some strikes, I’m going to go out of my way not to give that catcher any benefit of the doubt.    So, what that catcher might be able to get away with in a 9 inning game might be harder to achieve in shorter appearances where the umpire knows he’s in there for that purpose.   

If there is some overcompensation effect from umpires reacting to known framers, you would expect that to show up statistically. Thus if true you would have to expect all catchers to converge to zero framing effect. Since there do seem to be noticeable differences, I want Rutschman to steal every strike he can get.

If I am an umpire, I am assuming every catcher is trying to deceive me on every pitch and it is my job to recognize the ball rather than the glove. Easier said than done but I would think an umpire with the mentality of a good umpire would not go up there trying to squeeze particular catchers. 

• Upvote 1