Kiley McDaniel (ESPN) top 100 List

joelala

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Btw, not allowing trades in the draft is just another way to show how tone deaf mlb is.  That type of stuff generates interest, even if they haven’t heard of or seen the player.

I don't think allowing trades is going to cause anyone to tune into the draft that wasn't going to anyway.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I disagree but no need to speculation on what people we don’t know will do.

The vast majority of baseball draftees are anonymous.  Not much excitement to be gained by not picking guy you never heard of 5th so your team can pick guys you never heard of 12th and 46th.

17 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The vast majority of baseball draftees are anonymous.  Not much excitement to be gained by not picking guy you never heard of 5th so your team can pick guys you never heard of 12th and 46th.

A lot of people don’t know much about the NFL draft picks either.  I know CFB is a lot more visible but still, most don’t know them yet they watch it.

MLB needs to add more excitement to their product.

27 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

A lot of people don’t know much about the NFL draft picks either.  I know CFB is a lot more visible but still, most don’t know them yet they watch it.

MLB needs to add more excitement to their product.

It's not so much that CFB is more visible...it's that if even if you get a 4th round draft pick in the NFL draft, there's a really good chance that guy is going to be playing for your team in September.  Most of the draft picks an NFL team makes end up making the roster.  

There are no guarantees like that in the MLB draft and I think that's the main issue.  Unless you're an absolute die-hard, there's no way you're going to watch past your teams first pick because there's no guarantee that guy will ever make it to the majors.   You can invest the same amount of time watching both drafts and be more rewarded for the time spent on the NFL draft and it's not even close.

I'm inclined to agree that MLB should add some more excitement to their product but I'm not sure how they could do that given the function of the draft compared to the NFL and to a lesser extent, the NBA.  

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

It's not so much that CFB is more visible...it's that if even if you get a 4th round draft pick in the NFL draft, there's a really good chance that guy is going to be playing for your team in September.  Most of the draft picks an NFL team makes end up making the roster.  

There are no guarantees like that in the MLB draft and I think that's the main issue.  Unless you're an absolute die-hard, there's no way you're going to watch past your teams first pick because there's no guarantee that guy will ever make it to the majors.   You can invest the same amount of time watching both drafts and be more rewarded for the time spent on the NFL draft and it's not even close.

I'm inclined to agree that MLB should add some more excitement to their product but I'm not sure how they could do that given the function of the draft compared to the NFL and to a lesser extent, the NBA.  

It won’t be as exciting as the NFL for many of the reasons you stated.  However, allowing trades makes it a more exciting event overall.  People like that.  They get into it.  It adds intrigue and mystery to an otherwise very bland event.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

It won’t be as exciting as the NFL for many of the reasons you stated.  However, allowing trades makes it a more exciting event overall.  People like that.  They get into it.  It adds intrigue and mystery to an otherwise very bland event.

I totally agree that trades should be allowed.  It's a bland event for the most part, but if I were them I'd televise everything after that first day, those later rounds where team reps are just calling in picks on that recorded line.  It's rapid fire and fun to listen to...if there's a way they could capture that and make it more appealing they could have something fun to watch.

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

So the slot money would go with the draft pick right?

Let's say the O's traded their first round pick in the 2020 draft to the Angels for the 10th pick (a reasonable projection for when their player was rated to be picked) and the Angels third and fifth round picks?  That sound fair?

1-2- 7.79M

1-10- 4.74M

82- .7442M

141- .3904M

So the O's would have two more picks but would have around 2M less to spend on them.

I don't like that trade.

MLB won't turn into football, but there's no reason they shouldn't try to be a more exciting product. If my team is rumored to trade up for a 5 tool player, it will generate sports talk, blog talk, twitter talk and some ESPN talk.

You won't have the hype of Kiper or McShay, but you still would have more than MLB has now.

12 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

MLB won't turn into football, but there's no reason they shouldn't try to be a more exciting product. If my team is rumored to trade up for a 5 tool player, it will generate sports talk, blog talk, twitter talk and some ESPN talk.

You won't have the hype of Kiper or McShay, but you still would have more than MLB has now.

Agree with this.  Increased hype and visibility of prospects would also help the minor leagues a whole lot (and the economies in the small towns they play in.)  I can't actually think of any downside to allowing the trading of draft picks.

19 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

So the slot money would go with the draft pick right?

Let's say the O's traded their first round pick in the 2020 draft to the Angels for the 10th pick (a reasonable projection for when their player was rated to be picked) and the Angels third and fifth round picks?  That sound fair?

1-2- 7.79M

1-10- 4.74M

82- .7442M

141- .3904M

So the O's would have two more picks but would have around 2M less to spend on them.

I don't like that trade.

I don’t see why you wouldn’t keep the same money you started with.  Just because you trade down, it doesn’t change that equation.  It just makes it harder for the team trading up to spend as much money in other rounds..but that is lessened by the idea that they would be dealing some of those other picks to move up.