OF Derek Fisher DFA - Any Interest?

sportsfan8703

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

He’s out of options, but that doesn’t come into play until the last day of ST. We get all of ST to take a look at him.  There is a difference between the 26 man roster and the 40 man roster. Right now, he’s better than some on the 40 man. 

He's better than at least one member of the 26 man.  ?

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, wildcard said:

During ST Chris Holt will use his analytics and pitching knowledge to assess if he can improve Lopez  and Goudeau.   If he can they will become part the O's pitching depth.  If he can't they will probably be DFA and outrighted with their place taken by Felix Hernandez to name one.  

Fisher is not a good defensive outfielder.  He may or may not be a better defender than Stewart.   His role on the O's if they claimed him would probably be a DH.  That is his upside.   Which is of minimal  value to the O's with the players they already have.

I don’t see what Holt has to do with anything.  They just aren’t good.  He isn’t a miracle worker.  

They aren’t valuable guys.  They are dine a dozen guys who will always be available on the waiver wire at any point.  

Fisher is probably that type of player too but Fisher has more  upside and has been better at pro levels at his position than they have at theirs.

So yes, I easily take him over them, along with others.  

Speaking of the three competence draft picks we traded under DD they would be,

Bud Norris trade with HOU  HOU took Derek Fisher  

Ryan Webb Trade with LAD. The Dodgers took Josh Zbors. 

Brian Matusz trade with Atlanta. The Braves took our own Brett Cumberland. 

If we claim Fisher, then we’d have 2/3 picks back. It wouldn’t cost too much to pry Josh Zbors away from the LAD. He was DFAd on 2/11/2021. 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=sborz-000jos

Edited by sportsfan8703

43 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Perhaps Elias may think a swing tweak could allow for him to tap into that bat speed and raw power. 

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

He's got the high exit velocity and hard hit % that Elias typically likes and his .333 XWOBA was over the major league average of .322 last year.

If anyone wants to know the case to try this guy out, here it is. 

Not saying he'll turn into our version of Yaz, but you'll never find our version of Yaz if you don't try guys who have a tool that you think can become plus. This guy hits the ball hard. 

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t see what Holt has to do with anything.  They just aren’t good.  He isn’t a miracle worker.  

Holt taught John Means his change up which made him a good major league starter.  Lopez has a 94 mph fastball and sinker.  Would a better change up make him a good major league starter?  I don't know  but that is what ST is for.

Sulser looked like a good reliever coming into last season.  He was clearly not up to being a rookie closer.   But can he be a good middle reliever?   I don't know but I do know the Hyde loves the guys stuff.  

Goudeau is likely DFA'd to make room for Felix Hernandez.

Pitching is very important.   Elias has put the analytics and coaches together to improve pitchers.   It will be interesting to see how much they can help pitchers in the 6 weeks of ST.    Fisher reminds me of Trumbo in the outfield.  The O's have better outfielder in Santander, Hays, Mullins, Diaz and from what we saw last year in a small sample from Mountcastle.  Fisher's value if he has value to the O's is his bat which is probably best used a DH.

Right now the DH role is projected to be  a combination of Stewart, Mancini, Mountcastle, Diaz  and Santander when he needs a rest from the outfield.   There is depth there.  That is why I think keeping pitchers is more important than claiming Fisher.  If he becomes a FA and Elias can signs him to a minor league contract that would be adding depth.

• Upvote 1

This guy might have potential, but don’t we have a lot of other guys who also have potential? Remember as time goes on, we are going to be getting more and more guys, so we need to have space on the various rosters for our own guys. Unless this fellow is a clear advantage stay away.

The very fact that he is out of options is a dealbreaker for me, because he doesn’t provide any of the flexibility he would have to have

1 minute ago, Philip said:

This guy might have potential, but don’t we have a lot of other guys who also have potential? Remember as time goes on, we are going to be getting more and more guys, so we need to have space on the various rosters for our own guys. Unless this fellow is a clear advantage stay away.

The very fact that he is out of options is a dealbreaker for me, because he doesn’t provide any of the flexibility he would have to have

I don't care about this guy, but if he has actual potential, I'm guessing he might be worth a flyer over someone else on the 40-man. If not, we're better off than I thought.

I'm sure I am in the minority on this but I would rather just give DJ Stewart everyday ABs than add another reclamation project like Fisher to an already fairly crowded COF/DH mix. I really like DJ's on-base skills and he has flashed some legitimate hitting ability at times during his sporadic playing time over the last few years so 2021 seems like the perfect opportunity to see what we really have in him. 

If we could add Fisher on a MiL deal and stash him in AAA to tinker with, sure, sign me up, but if we have to carry him on the big league roster and give him playing time that would otherwise go to Stewart, I think I would just pass.

But, as always, YMMV :noidea:

26 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

This article wants to spread the credit around just a bit more than you do.

For Orioles' John Means, a lot of work went into the changeup that tore through the Yankees - Baltimore Sun

I'll go with what John Means says.   He says Chirs Holt taught him his change up and he owes Holt a lot.

At 2.47 into this interview.   

https://www.mlb.com/orioles/video/hot-stove-john-means

• Like 1