Update: Matt Harvey added to 40-man roster

MurphDogg

It will be interesting to see how well Harvey does and how the club handles it if he performs well.

On one hand, the obvious thing to do is flip him at the deadline if he is pitching well.  Otoh, maybe you would rather keep him and try to see him or slap a QO on him for next year, a season in which you hope to compete.

It’s also interesting to me what the league wide reaction to him would be if he does indeed pitch well.  Will it be viewed as flukey and if so, what type of offers would we really get?  Would he be set up to get a decent (say 2-3 year deal at 12+ million) contract for next year or would he be on another 1 year prove it deal, albeit for more money than this year.

I guess all of these will be good problems to have and, of course, we need to see him perform well but it’s still a good thought exercise imo.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, interloper said:

It sure would be cool for one of these reclamation projects to actually work for once. Love to see the velocity - hopefully he can keep the dingers to a minimum. 

The Os have had their share of reclamation projects work for them over the years.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Lopez, Guthrie, Gonzalez...to name a few 

All younger guys though. I see them more as things finally clicked moreso than they reclaimed their careers. If Harvey ends up pitching to like a 4ish ERA, it will be a wild success considering how far he's fallen. 

6 minutes ago, interloper said:

All younger guys though. I see them more as things finally clicked moreso than they reclaimed their careers. If Harvey ends up pitching to like a 4ish ERA, it will be a wild success considering how far he's fallen. 

Cesar Valdez, Darren O'Day. 

Not too many formerly great pitchers bounce back anywhere, not necessarily an Orioles thing.

Just now, MurphDogg said:

Cesar Valdez, Darren O'Day. 

Not too many formerly great pitchers bounce back anywhere, not necessarily an Orioles thing.

Yeah it wasn't really a criticism at the O's in particular, just like, it's rare overall. Valdez reminds me of Bradford with the A's, seeing value where others didn't. Love it. 

21 minutes ago, interloper said:

You're probably right - what are some? I just can't think of too many SP who came over and got better I guess.

Well Miguel Gonzalez was probably the best. Rescued from the Mexican league. And Brach was a waiver gamble who made very good.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Philip said:

Well Miguel Gonzalez was probably the best. Rescued from the Mexican league. And Brach was a waiver gamble who made very good.

Brach was actually acquired from San Diego for Devin Jones, a former ninth round pick from Mississippi State who was coming of a mediocre season in 2013 as a 22 year-old starter for Bowie after a couple decent season in the lower minors. Jones was then even worse the following year with San Diego's AA team before the Orioles re-signed him in 2015 for three bad appearances in Frederick before he ended up out of baseball.