Bradford return

bigbird

I understand. How much, given the Forbes article, do you think is added to the Yankees outside of normal revenue reporting? I think if you add it back in, and I don't know if Forbes did this in the Yankees 327 mill revenue, that our income is still higher.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NOW THAT THE WORLD SERIES IS OVER WHO SHOULD THE O'S GO AFTER ON THE TAMPA BAY RAYS 40 MAN ROSTER?:clap3:

I may be wrong but I believe that the MLB rule is that a PTNL can not be be on the 40 man roster. I think it will come from deep in the minor league system. AM even said that we would not recognize the name we got, if we actually got a player. It could turn out to be cash. Sorry but it will probably not be Zobrist or any of the other names that we have mentioned.

I think the further down they go in the Rays' minor league chain, the greater potential talent they will receive. You insist on "Major League ready" with the guy we got for Bradford, you're probably talking a quad-A guy, a Salazar type.

To be fair, he did have a 1.42 ERA in 21 games down the stretch, and a 1.29 ERA (best on the team) in seven play-off appearances. He was a big pick-up.

Maybe not top-five Rays prospect big, but worth SOMETHING of good value.

Now that the World Series is over, who should the O's go after on the Tampa Bay Rays 40 man roster? :clap3:

All this talk about us acquiring Zobrist, Baldelli, Nieman has gotten me curious. Here is the MLB rule.

Two rules govern player-to-be-named-later transactions. The deal must close within six months and the player must change leagues (which is why most players to be named later are minor leaguers).

In 1962, the New York Mets traded backup catcher Harry Chiti to the Cleveland Indians for a player to be named later. Who was that player? Harry Chiti, traded for himself.

As I understand it and I have checked 2 sites, the part of the rule that affects us the most is the seond part where a player must change leagues. Guys like Zobrist, Nieman, Baldelli etc. are on Tampa's 40 man so technically they would not be changing leagues. Therefore we will have to take a player not on their 40 man roster.

It is more than likely that we will recieve someone we have never heard of, a young A ball player. AM basically said this at the time of the trade. Do not rule out that the return could be cold hard dollars.

It is possible that the player to be named maybe Chad Bradford but I doubt the O's want the contract back.

This has happened in the past for the Orioles. Think back to 1983. Late in the year the Orioles acquired Tito Landrum in a trade that involved a PTBNL. Landrum played a big role in the O's reaching the WS, homering in game 4 of the ALCS off of Britt Burns to break a tie and send the O's to the Series. Later that off season Tito returned to the Cardinals.

If the Orioles are in the poorhouse explain this:

It doesn't add up. This is why I believe Bradford was not a salary dump, but a calculated move to make sure this team would tank.

Do you honestly believe that this team wouldn't have tanked with Chad Bradford in the bullpen? How much would Chad Bradford have contributed to the .663 team OPS in Septemeber?

How long have they had the internet on Mars?

This bothers the hell out of me. Totally unfair to the players who were on this team busting their butts to send off one of our few healthy and reliable pitchers purely to dump salary without getting something decent in exchange. I'm P.O.'d.

I'm actually not that bothered by this. We basically traded Bradford for Matusz. I know that sounds silly, but we used his money to sign him. So, we had this awesome, high draft pick, and we signed him for just about nothing. And we're getting another, albeit probably crummy, player in return.

Although it does suck that we traded from an obvious weakness. Pure salary dump seems a little harsh: Bradford was never going to be a part of a winning O's team. Matusz figures to be a huge piece of our next winning team. This just made a bad season worse, that's all.

All this talk about us acquiring Zobrist, Baldelli, Nieman has gotten me curious. Here is the MLB rule.

Two rules govern player-to-be-named-later transactions. The deal must close within six months and the player must change leagues (which is why most players to be named later are minor leaguers).

In 1962, the New York Mets traded backup catcher Harry Chiti to the Cleveland Indians for a player to be named later. Who was that player? Harry Chiti, traded for himself.

As I understand it and I have checked 2 sites, the part of the rule that affects us the most is the seond part where a player must change leagues. Guys like Zobrist, Nieman, Baldelli etc. are on Tampa's 40 man so technically they would not be changing leagues. Therefore we will have to take a player not on their 40 man roster.

It is more than likely that we will recieve someone we have never heard of, a young A ball player. AM basically said this at the time of the trade. Do not rule out that the return could be cold hard dollars.

It is possible that the player to be named maybe Chad Bradford but I doubt the O's want the contract back.

This has happened in the past for the Orioles. Think back to 1983. Late in the year the Orioles acquired Tito Landrum in a trade that involved a PTBNL. Landrum played a big role in the O's reaching the WS, homering in game 4 of the ALCS off of Britt Burns to break a tie and send the O's to the Series. Later that off season Tito returned to the Cardinals.

Didn't we do the same thing with Ponson? We traded him for that Moss character and a PTBNL. Ponson (switching leagues) was the player to be named.

Archived