Should Adley Rutschman play in the majors in 2021?

Frobby

Should Adley Rutschman play in the majors in 2021?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Should Adley Rutschman play in the majors in 2021?

• Yes, he should be on the Opening Day Roster if he has a good spring
    • Yes, no matter what, but only after he passes the date for a 7th year of control
    • Only if we are contending and he’s needed to boost the team
    • Only if he looks ready to be an above average major leaguer immediately
    • Only if he looks ready to be a competent major leaguer
    • Only for a September call-up at most
    • No, save his service time and bring him up in 2022

1 minute ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Agreed. I think this discussion jumps the shark a bit when it turns to "teams should promote players to the majors immediately, regardless of MiL performance. To do otherwise is clearly a bad faith attempt to suppress earnings." (obviously exaggerated/simplified) There are several valid reasons to not simply "Ole!" a potential impact player to the majors.

No one saying that. 

I certainly don't think Mountcastle should have been in the majors at 19.  I'm not suggesting that Gunnar makes the team out of camp.

But a 23 year old that has the resume that AR does?  Sure.

If last year was a normal year, he would have likely seen ML time last year or would be up after gaining service time this year.  Last year has pushed him back a few months.  I think the team gets here some time in AA, let him get comfortable (he doesn’t have to have a 900+ OPs although it would be nice) and then he’s up.  I could definitely see them waiting until he is clear of likely super 2 status, which should be mid June-ish.  

I also wonder if he ever sees AA.  With the news about AA not starting until May, are they going to just have him working out in Sarasota for a month or do you send him to Norfolk to actually start playing.  To me, that makes the most sense.

34 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Right..so call up Adley very soon since he’s easily our best option behind the plate and because you don’t unnecessarily keep him down longer  and ruin relationships.

How many games do we win this year with Adley?       How about with Sisco / Severino instead?

Please also provide evidence that are relationship with Adley may be "ruined" if he starts in the minors.   This would be news to me and I would be curious to read something.

Just now, Aglets said:

How many games do we win this year with Adley?       How about with Sisco / Severino instead?

Please also provide evidence that are relationship with Adley may be "ruined" if he starts in the minors.   This would be news to me and I would be curious to read something.

1). Who cares how many games we win this year?  The Os certainly don’t.  I could say that about any player.  Send Mountcastle down!  We aren’t winning many more games this year with him FA Stewart, so send him down and wait. This year is about development.  He can and should develop up here and not waste any more time with him

2)  Who said he would be ruined if he starts in the minors?  It’s if you wait all year and don’t bring him up until next year that you could damage relationships.

38 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Would you be mad as a Padres fan that they didn't hold Tatis back and game his clock?

Padres were pretty clearly trying to go for it in 2019?  Isn't that when they signed Manny?   That is another criteria that would cause me to reconsider my position.  Again, trying to maximize the number of championships / playoff appearances makes sense to me.

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

1). Who cares how many games we win this year?  The Os certainly don’t.  I could say that about any player.  Send Mountcastle down!  We aren’t winning many more games this year with him FA Stewart, so send him down and wait. This year is about development.  He can and should develop up here and not waste any more time with him

2)  Who said he would be ruined if he starts in the minors?  It’s if you wait all year and don’t bring him up until next year that you could damage relationships.

1)  Mountcastle has hit above low A.   He has hit in MLB in fact.  That would indeed greatly negatively impact our relationship with the player.  I don't advocate we demote him.

2)  I guess it depends what you meant by "very soon."     I agree if he is crushing in Bowie or Norfolk and stays down there all year that would be bad.....and I definitely don't want the Orioles to do that.

Just now, Aglets said:

1)  Mountcastle has hit above low A.   He has hit in MLB in fact.  That would indeed greatly negatively impact our relationship with the player.  I don't advocate we demote him.

2)  I guess it depends what you meant by "very soon."     I agree if he is crushing in Bowie or Norfolk and stays down there all year that would be bad.....and I definitely don't want the Orioles to do that.

I have said he should be up by July.  I’m fine with him being up anytime after the team has gained the extra of service time, which is usually about 3 weeks into April.  

I think you and others are completely overrating him “needing time above A ball”.  I just don’t see that as a valid argument at all.  If he was a Hs kid in what was basically his first full MiL season, I’m with you.  This guy?  Nope.  At least, if he is as good as everyone says he is.

13 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I have said he should be up by July.  I’m fine with him being up anytime after the team has gained the extra of service time, which is usually about 3 weeks into April.  

April 16 this year, if my math is good.   If he were called up that day:

15 days of service in April

31 May

30 June

31 July

31 August

30 September

3 October (season ends Oct. 3)

====
171 days of service (172 counts as a full season)

But I don’t think he’ll get called up in April.    

1 hour ago, Aglets said:

Yes, they absolutely do.  No debate.  Also, I think those reasons are often warranted because the way the system is set up.  And I would be MAD as a fan if my team wasn't using the system the same way that other teams do to get a competitive advantage.  They would be handicapping themselves.  Now if you want to argue about changing the system, I will likely be right there with you.

Also, Adley has never faced pitching above low A before.  I feel like that keeps needing repeating.  And he didn't exactly light the world on fire.   When he is crushing in Bowie or Norfolk then I will be much more on the fence about this.

+1. If the organization thinks they saw enough in Alternate Site to bring him up, I will trust that. Just based on what we as fans have access to, I don't see how anyone can be certain that he is ready. 

1 hour ago, foxfield said:

I think this is more complicated than normal.  First we have a great amount of change in the ML.  No games last year, uncertain this year due to covid and the MLB consolidation.  And we have a college age player who is at an age and position that would seem to indicate we will control him through his most productive time.  I see no real reason to sign to any extension, but I don't think I would really worry about gaming his time to the bigs.  I would simply ask that he be given enough time in ML to get his feet under him so that he can be competent when he gets here.  If that is March.  Fine, if it is September, fine.

This is the most sensible suggestion about AR that I have read.  Since none has the power to look into the future for AR s handling of  the physical, mental or emotional challenges of baseball,  I too say to let him get his feet really wet in the  Minors,  however long that may be, and promote him if and when it is clear that he SEEMS  ready to compete in the Majors.  A subjective decision for sure, but the best one we have.  

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Since I believe Elias has stated Adley will start in AA, and the start of the AA season has been delayed until early May, maybe we should put him on the major league team for the month of April to help him get game action to prepare him for his AA debut.

Just put him in AAA to start.