Should Adley Rutschman play in the majors in 2021?

Frobby

Should Adley Rutschman play in the majors in 2021?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Should Adley Rutschman play in the majors in 2021?

• Yes, he should be on the Opening Day Roster if he has a good spring
    • Yes, no matter what, but only after he passes the date for a 7th year of control
    • Only if we are contending and he’s needed to boost the team
    • Only if he looks ready to be an above average major leaguer immediately
    • Only if he looks ready to be a competent major leaguer
    • Only for a September call-up at most
    • No, save his service time and bring him up in 2022

2 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I think you can make the case that getting Rutschman at bats against MLB pitching now, so that he's fully adjusted and approaching peak when the O's should be in contention will add as many or more theoretical championships and playoff appearances as delaying his debut and having an extra year at 31.

This is a decent argument.  I am not fully sure I agree or disagree.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The question wasn't what should the Orioles do.

Who decides where Adley plays this year? 

I think you are being a bit pedantic here.   

Should I get to throw a bullpen with Adley sometime in the summer?

Ummmm, on the one hand, no......absolutely not.   But on the other hand...…….I really really want to and I feel I deserve it.  It would be in my best interest.  Also I'd like to write out a few lineups.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not worried about wear and tear.

I'm worried that he's 23 and that it looks like the O's might delay his future earnings by another year so they can gain an advantage.

I expect the Orioles to do what is in the team’s long term best interests.    Being fair to the players (hence, keeping them happy and loyal) is a component of that, but not the only one.    

I just don’t see how performance is irrelevant to that.    It’s one thing to park a guy with a .900 OPS in the minors all year, and it’s another thing to keep a .700 OPS guy down all year.   Regardless of age.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I don't either.  But I have a bias that says teams leave players in the minors longer than they really have to for reasons mostly unrelated to performance.

Yes, they absolutely do.  No debate.  Also, I think those reasons are often warranted because the way the system is set up.  And I would be MAD as a fan if my team wasn't using the system the same way that other teams do to get a competitive advantage.  They would be handicapping themselves.  Now if you want to argue about changing the system, I will likely be right there with you.

Also, Adley has never faced pitching above low A before.  I feel like that keeps needing repeating.  And he didn't exactly light the world on fire.   When he is crushing in Bowie or Norfolk then I will be much more on the fence about this.

7 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Yes, they absolutely do.  No debate.  Also, I think those reasons are often warranted because the way the system is set up.  And I would be MAD as a fan if my team wasn't using the system the same way that other teams do to get a competitive advantage.  They would be handicapping themselves.  Now if you want to argue about changing the system, I will likely be right there with you.

Also, Adley has never faced pitching above low A before.  I feel like that keeps needing repeating.  And he didn't exactly light the world on fire.   When he is crushing in Bowie or Norfolk then I will be much more on the fence about this.

Would you be mad as a Padres fan that they didn't hold Tatis back and game his clock?

18 minutes ago, Aglets said:

He has faced pitching above that level..he did it last year and some of those pitchers went on to pitch in the majors.

The camps last year certainly weren’t the end all be all but they were valuable and the players did take stuff away from it.  I don’t know why some are acting like that was a vacation or something.

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

You are still avoiding the question.

BTW Manny was 19 and was not regarded as the second best prospect in baseball at the time.

Maybe not second (or third) best at the time, but he was comfortably around #5-10 depending on outlet. Just a few from prior to the 2012 season:

https://www.mlb.com/news/2012-top-100-mlb-prospects-list-c301610610 (#6)

https://www.baseballprospectus.com/prospects/article/16020/future-shock-top-101-prospects/ (#8)

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It’s one thing to park a guy with a .900 OPS in the minors all year, and it’s another thing to keep a .700 OPS guy down all year.   Regardless of age.  

This is where I am at. I really don't think it's terribly unreasonable to want to see AR mash a bit at AA and/or AAA before handing him the keys to the position on the big league team.

Furthermore, beyond any service time considerations, we have 2 catchers on the MLB roster currently in Severino and Sisco who might have value to a contender in a playoff race at the trade deadline that wants more offense from the catcher position (the former being much more likely than the latter, but hey, you never know) and letting them play and potentially build up some trade value in the first half of the season that can be cashed in for a prospect or two while also opening up the position for AR's impending arrival doesn't seem like a terrible idea, at least to me.

28 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I expect the Orioles to do what is in the team’s long term best interests.    Being fair to the players (hence, keeping them happy and loyal) is a component of that, but not the only one.    

I just don’t see how performance is irrelevant to that.    It’s one thing to park a guy with a .900 OPS in the minors all year, and it’s another thing to keep a .700 OPS guy down all year.   Regardless of age.  

Agreed. I think this discussion jumps the shark a bit when it turns to "teams should promote players to the majors immediately, regardless of MiL performance. To do otherwise is clearly a bad faith attempt to suppress earnings." (obviously exaggerated/simplified) There are several valid reasons to not simply "Ole!" a potential impact player to the majors.

2 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Maybe not second (or third) best at the time, but he was comfortably around #5-10 depending on outlet. Just a few from prior to the 2012 season:

https://www.mlb.com/news/2012-top-100-mlb-prospects-list-c301610610 (#6)

https://www.baseballprospectus.com/prospects/article/16020/future-shock-top-101-prospects/ (#8)

I wasn't trying to suggest that he wasn't highly regarded.

I think this is more complicated than normal.  First we have a great amount of change in the ML.  No games last year, uncertain this year due to covid and the MLB consolidation.  And we have a college age player who is at an age and position that would seem to indicate we will control him through his most productive time.  I see no real reason to sign to any extension, but I don't think I would really worry about gaming his time to the bigs.  I would simply ask that he be given enough time in ML to get his feet under him so that he can be competent when he gets here.  If that is March.  Fine, if it is September, fine.

• Upvote 1