Looks like the Red Sox will be in play for Teixeira

nadecir

The Boston Red Sox have already had internal conversations about going after Tex and have plenty of money to spend. See today's Boston Globe:

For now, know this: According to a team source, the Red Sox already have had some internal discussion about free-agent-to-be Mark Teixeira, the most desirable hitter available on the open market and a player for which the bidding will be fierce. Coupled with the strength of Boston’s player development system, the real benefit of Ramirez departure is that the Red Sox will have a truckload of money to spend this winter. All signs point to a spirited run at Teixeira, a switch-hitting, slugging first baseman with the good defensive skills, exceptional baseball acumen, and the kind of discretionary plate discipline that Sox officials so covet.

The obvious question is where they will put him.

In the immediate aftermath of Sunday’s loss, Epstein deferred all questions pertaining to 2009 (and beyond) until later this week, but do not let the GM fool you. The Red Sox already have much of their postseason plan mapped out. The simple truth is that the Red Sox (and all of us) must now wonder if Ortiz ever will be the same player again and if Mike Lowell will sufficiently recover from hip surgery (scheduled for today). Factoring in the loss of Ramirez, too, the Red Sox finished 2008 minus the Nos. 3, 4 and 5 hitters that anchored their lineup at precisely this time a year ago.

From Epstein’s standpoint, the beauty is that he has ample resources to work with, and not solely in terms of pocket money. Depending on where the Sox set their 2009 payroll, and thanks largely to the contractual erasures of Ramirez and Curt Schilling, the Red Sox will have roughly $40-$60 million to spend this winter. But the real flexibility Epstein possesses comes courtesy of a player development system that also will allow him to seek any number of trade possibilities, whether the Sox would consider Matt Holliday, Garrett Atkins or any other number of potential hitters believed to be available.

If Epstein wants to try trading Lowell and moving Youkilis to third base, opening up a spot for Teixeira, he can. If he wants to put together a package of young players for Holliday or Atkins, he can do that, too. The Red Sox have proven that they will eat contracts if they must – Edgar Renteria and Ramirez offer varying degrees of proof – and depending on Lowell’s health (is anyone else worried about this?), they may be forced to take a bullet or two on the left side of their infield.

The point is this: Epstein has options, of which Teixeira is the most obvious.

http://www.boston.com/sports/columnists/massarotti/2008/10/sox_now_look_a_little_soft_in.html

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No way does Angelos let Tex go to an AL East rival.

I can see him giving him up to the Angels, but no way does he let him go to a team we'll face 19 times a year...

The Yankees will overpay and they will probably get him, if not, the Red Sox will. If we don't get him, there is nothing we can do about the yanks or the Sox getting it.

None of this really matters...All that matters is how high the other teams are willing to go and if AM and PA are willing to beat the offer.

If they go after him, i think the Giants are the biggest worry.

If the Yankees and Boston are serious neither the Orioles, Giants or anyone else will be able to compete... If Boston and New York are serious about Tex and get into the bidding war get prepared for a Boras to land a contract that makes people gasp. With both of them involved all of the sudden $200m+ is not fantasyland anymore.

That has to be one of the silliest things I've ever heard. If NY and Boston are both in the bidding, the chance that we outbid both those teams is infinitessimal.
I agree. To think that the Orioles can outbid the top two revenue teams in all of baseball when the Yankees and Red Sox both have at least $50 million coming off their payrolls is a bit beyond wishful thinking.

We were much closer to the Yankees in revenue in 2000 when we lost Mike Mussina than we are today. Losing Mussina was a bigger blow to the Orioles' than if we lose Teixeira to the Yankees or Red Sox today.

Well, if the Red Sux go after Tex, does that mean Youkilis will be available?

If I were the Sox, Youk gets moved to 3rd replacing a breaking down Lowell. Teix goes to first and Lars Anderson is used much like Hanley Ramirez was used to acquire whatever other pieces they think they need to win in 2009.

If the Yankees and Boston are serious neither the Orioles, Giants or anyone else will be able to compete... If Boston and New York are serious about Tex and get into the bidding war get prepared for a Boras to land a contract that makes people gasp. With both of them involved all of the sudden $200m+ is not fantasyland anymore.

It also won't surprise me if Boras drags out the process into January, which puts us in a bad position if we have to wait on other opportunities while waiting for the Tex situation to play out.

If I were the Sox, Youk gets moved to 3rd replacing a breaking down Lowell. Teix goes to first and Lars Anderson is used much like Hanley Ramirez was used to acquire whatever other pieces they think they need to win in 2009.

Dang it. Stop ruining all my trade ideas!!! :D;)

Archived