The Catching Situation

Legend_Of_Joey

25 minutes ago, LA2 said:

Good catching is good for the development of our pitchers, which is an in-progress objective long before Rutschman's arrival. And there is no guarantee he won't be a big disappointment anyway.

So, according to this board, our catching sucks and if the catching sucks, it hurts the pitchers.

Yet, we have seen a number of number of guys develop with the catchers we have (guys develop in majors and minors).  Sisco has caught a lot of these guys and they develop.  Means has turned his career around with these 2 as his catchers.  

We have seen Tanner Scott improve, Hunter Harvey show promise, etc...

If these guys are such a detriment to the team and organization, how is that happening?

I continue to believe that C defense is one of the most overrated and overblown things in the sport, especially with no one stealing bases anymore.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, LA2 said:

Good catching is good for the development of our pitchers, which is an in-progress objective long before Rutschman's arrival. And there is no guarantee he won't be a big disappointment anyway.

I don't disagree with the notion that good catching helps pitching, but let's be real here...velocity, command, spin rate and overall pitch quality is what makes the difference for development of pitchers.  

A good catcher isn't going to suddenly elevate a subpar pitcher to being better than league average.   

14 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

So, according to this board, our catching sucks and if the catching sucks, it hurts the pitchers.

Yet, we have seen a number of number of guys develop with the catchers we have (guys develop in majors and minors).  Sisco has caught a lot of these guys and they develop.  Means has turned his career around with these 2 as his catchers.  

If these guys are such a detriment to the team and organization, how is that happening?

I continue to believe that C defense is one of the most overrated and overblown things in the sport, especially with no one stealing bases anymore.

Harvey was a first round draft pitcher with strong family pedigree, so his improvement is based on Sisco's catching him?  Sorry, I dont really go along with that, but hey, you are welcome to that. Not exactly like you said the world was flat.

I will strongly disagree with you about C defense being over rated.

I dont agree, call me old school, call me an idiot, I dont care. Give me a  plus defender at Catcher that can handle the pitchers, set up the correct location for the pitch called for, being the field general out there. making sure his COF isnt in the wrong position. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't disagree with the notion that good catching helps pitching, but let's be real here...velocity, command, spin rate and overall pitch quality is what makes the difference for development of pitchers.  

A good catcher isn't going to suddenly elevate a subpar pitcher to being better than league average.   

No, but a good catcher can calm down a rattled pitcher.

You look at some of the better defensive teams throughout MLB history, and typically, they had a good catcher as their foundation.

18 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I think we’ve all seen Severino’s casual attempts to block balls in the dirt to know that good C defense isn’t overrated. 

I am interested to see if any of the initiatives to increase steals in the minors make it up to the bigs, will make catcher’s arms important in a hurry.

2 minutes ago, survivedc said:

I think we’ve all seen Severino’s casual attempts to block balls in the dirt to know that good C defense isn’t overrated. 

I am interested to see if any of the initiatives to increase steals in the minors make it up to the bigs, will make catcher’s arms important in a hurry.

I am simultaneously annoyed with his defense and of the opinion that catcher defense is overrated.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I’m not worried about the catching situation. I think both Catchers have upside with their bats, and nobody runs anymore. Severino is a solid “everyday” Catcher at this point. 

The defensive value of catchers is far greater than throwing out base stealers

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

Ive said it before. I mean no disrespect. I work daily in the IT field and with hundreds of CISCO manufacture devices, so my fingers are trained by the repetition of typing that over and over.

But the human being, Chance Sisco, is not a device. So there is no excuse.

• Downvote 1

36 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Sisco and Severino are the Lew Ford of catchers.  :D

2 hours ago, Camden_yardbird said:

This entire thread kind of seems like debating over whether you should drive the Accord or the Altima when you have a Porsche coming in on back order.

The Honda Accord is one of the most reliable vehicles on the road and rates near the top in owner satisfaction year after year. 

Porsches may be sexy but are extremely expensive, temperamental and spend a whole lot of time on the DL. 

Better hope Adley is not a Porsche.

PS: Nissan sucks.

• Haha 1

It has been correctly said many times over the years that a real good team is usually strong up the middle and C is the cornerstone of that.  A   Catcher  like Yadi Molina is the 2nd Manager of the team.  But even a lesser talented C   can be very helpful to the whole team,  most esp. the Pitchers.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

The Honda Accord is one of the most reliable vehicles on the road and rates near the top in owner satisfaction year after year. 

Porsches may be sexy but are extremely expensive, temperamental and spend a whole lot of time on the DL. 

Well, you aren't getting 350,000 miles out of Adley, so my hope is his performance is high end even if it doesn't last 15 years.

1 minute ago, Beef Supreme said:

Well now, according to JD Power, which we all know is a super reputable source that isn't paid for their endorsements, the Porsche 911 ranked the most dependable vehicle in 2021.

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en_US/2021/company/porsche-911-most-dependable-vehicle-jd-power-study-23682.html

12 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

Honda is also ranked as the number 1 stolen car maker because of how easy they are to steal.

Catcher takes such an abusive at the position, that they better be a durable dude.