Eloy Jimenez out for 6 months...Santander?????//

Moose Milligan

16 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

LOL, DJ Stewart having any value to any ML team

Stewart is a former first round pick with a 107 OPS+, 12.6% walk rate, and .209 ISO in 301 career PAs, and he has posted some pretty tantalizing analytics, which recently led mlb.com to include him on their list of 5 breakout candidates for 2021.

https://www.mlb.com/news/breakout-hitters-for-2021-to-watch

Will he ever be a star? Maybe, maybe not, but heading into his age 27 season with fairly solid bottom line offensive production and some legitimately elite analytics to his credit thus far in his career, declaring him a complete bust at this juncture just makes you look silly.

I did notice in his half-inning interview on last night's broadcast, in the section describing Outfield as the strength of the team to Garceau/Roberts, Elias did use a little extra time describing Stewart's patience/power skill set.    I've been mostly Glass Half Empty on the inability to hit fastballs part, but hope I badly underestimated him.

9 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

I've been mostly Glass Half Empty on the inability to hit fastballs part, but hope I badly underestimated him.

Look at it this way- in spite of that, he's still been about 7% better than league average so far in his career, so even modest improvement in that area should theoretically only cause that number to go up.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Stewart is a former first round pick with a 107 OPS+, 12.6% walk rate, and .209 ISO in 301 career PAs, and he has posted some pretty tantalizing analytics, which recently led mlb.com to include him on their list of 5 breakout candidates for 2021.

https://www.mlb.com/news/breakout-hitters-for-2021-to-watch

Will he ever be a star? Maybe, maybe not, but heading into his age 27 season with fairly solid bottom line offensive production and some legitimately elite analytics to his credit thus far in his career, declaring him a complete bust at this juncture just makes you look silly.

I certainly take your point about Stewart’s stats and pedigree, but at the moment it is highly doubtful that he has any trade value. If he does I would certainly advocate trading him.

Also, chats about players often ignore their flaws in favor of focusing on their virtues. Stewart can certainly play the outfield but he’s already considered a DH, which limits his value further.

Edited by Philip