It's already starting...

Moose Milligan

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When the Orioles are good again, and the fans return, are you going to be ridiculing them for only showing up because the team is doing well, or are you going to sit back and enjoy the atmosphere of having a packed stadium cheering your team on?

Because really, that's not going to be possible without a lot of "fairweather fans."

When the Orioles are good again, and the fans return, are you going to be ridiculing them for only showing up because the team is doing well, or are you going to sit back and enjoy the atmosphere of having a packed stadium cheering your team on?

Because really, that's not going to be possible without a lot of "fairweather fans."

Your damned if you do, and damned if you don't. Using this rationale, we can accuse every successful teams fans of doing this. So why bother even getting started.

Seems like a good place to mention that the O's outdrew the Rays by 170,000 fans this year despite finishing 29 games behind them in the standings. However, I'd bet the Rays will outdraw us next year unless the O's are way better than they were this year.

I'm fine with bandwagon fans. Really. I know it happens, when a team gets good, people who used to not care hop on and root for a team. Whatever.

Just admit it. Don't try to act like youve been a die hard fan your whole life, and that this means as much to you as people who have been fans forever. Celebrate, enjoy it, whatever. Just don't tell me youve been a fan forever, and recognize its more important to people who actually follow the team.

Perfect example. Last summer, when the Caps were playing well and made the playoffs, I really got into it. I'm by no means a hockey fan, but I really got excited by watching Ovechkin and Semin and Huet and all those guys. But I readily admitted I was a bandwagon fan. Anytime anyone asked me, "You like the Caps?" Sure, I'd say, but I just hopped on the bandwagon. I knew those playoff games meant way more to actual real Caps fans, which was totally cool with me.

I just hate people who can't admit they are a bandwagon fan.

The Rays unis are so much better now too...that helps.

Right, because we all know its about the uniform and not who's wearing it.

The ones they had right before the current ones weren't that bad. The ones that were really bad were their inaugural ones that had a purple, yellow, green combo. Last year was predominately green and to me looked sharp. It's just that no one saw it.

Seems like a good place to mention that the O's outdrew the Rays by 170,000 fans this year despite finishing 29 games behind them in the standings. However, I'd bet the Rays will outdraw us next year unless the O's are way better than they were this year.

Remove the carpetbagging NYY and BOS fans from those attendance numbers, and I wonder how much of that differential dries up.

2008 OPACY attendance vs. NYY & BOS

Total: 694022

Mean: 38557

2008 Tropicana attendance vs. NYY & BOS

Total: 482026

Mean: 26779

[attendance figures taken from baseball-reference.com]

Obviously, these numbers don't tell us the ratios of home to visiting team fans, but over 18 home games respectively vs. the Yanks and Sox, the O's outdrew the Rays by +211,996. Chalk it up to proximity, better venue, etc., but if we're ahead of the Rays attendance-wise, I think a large portion of credit goes to other teams' fans.

Tropicana gets plenty of Red Sox and MFY fans when they are in town as well. The Yankees have had spring training in Tampa since before the Rays were even there, so there's plenty of MFY fans in Tampa.

My dad used to do a lot of work down in Tampa and I would stay down there with him for most of the summer. Once I went to every game of a 4 game Red Sox-Rays series, the place was PACKED with Red Sox fans.

People get the idea that Sox and MFY fans only invade Camden Yards, and it's just not true.

Just want to play devil's advocate here. IMO Baltimore is more accessible to NY and Boston fans than Tampa. I think our attendance was propped up by the NY and Boston fans and that Tampa actually outdrew us locally this year.

Archived