The defense thread 2021

Frobby

35 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

and yet he made the last out of the game? I guess that was some secret Ryan Mountcastle imposter who plays a really bad LF just like Ryan Mountcastle

His bat should be in the lineup as the DH/1B every game, never in the OF

So you would rather have Ryan in DH, and a hurt Santander out in the OF?

Or do you move Mancini off 1st, so Ryan can play there?

Not sure Mancini in LF is an upgrade.

33 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

So you would rather have Ryan in DH, and a hurt Santander out in the OF?

Or do you move Mancini off 1st, so Ryan can play there?

Not sure Mancini in LF is an upgrade.

I think Mancini is a better OF than Mountcastle, though that might not be the case if Mountcastle had more reps out there.   

21 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think Mancini is a better OF than Mountcastle, though that might not be the case if Mountcastle had more reps out there.   

He might be, but at this point with this team, its really a huge issue, not like a bad play is going to cost them the playoff hunt.

Hays just made a great throw from LF to home on a single.  The runner scored, but the LA announcers raved about the throw- apparently it came in at 94 mph and accurate; and Hays' arm in general- 4 OF assists this year.

The announcer commented something I was thinking while watching the replays: "That is not an arm you see in left field very often."

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Pickles said:

Hays just made a great throw from LF to home on a single.  The runner scored, but the LA announcers raved about the throw- apparently it came in at 94 mph and accurate; and Hays' arm in general- 4 OF assists this year.

The announcer commented something I was thinking while watching the replays: "That is not an arm you see in left field very often."

Too bad Hays wasn’t in RF on that last play, he probably should have been.

Last night, LA announcers dissed Severino for costing Lopez 4 or 5 strikes, "in the first inning". I know the pitching hasn't been good but a competent catcher would help. The pitcher can shake the catcher off, but I don't think the young guys have the confidence to do it. I question Severino's pitch calling every game.

44 minutes ago, oldfan said:

Last night, LA announcers dissed Severino for costing Lopez 4 or 5 strikes, "in the first inning". I know the pitching hasn't been good but a competent catcher would help. The pitcher can shake the catcher off, but I don't think the young guys have the confidence to do it. I question Severino's pitch calling every game.

The defense up the middle wasn’t too stellar in the first inning either.   First a ball ticked off the glove of the SS up the middle, rightfully scored a hit but I think Galvis might have made the play.    Then the next play was an attempted 6-4-3 DP where the runner beat it out but it looked like the exchange was just a bit slow.   

2 hours ago, oldfan said:

If you're saying that the Orioles should give Wynns most of the time at catcher, and either get rid of Pedro or make him the backup, you'll have to get in line. It's not a short line

13 minutes ago, Ripken said:

Not a big fan of letting a routine, 9th inning, 6-4-3 double play ball go to centerfield because the SS is grossly out of position near 3rd.

Or the outfield playing so far in on the bases loaded fly ball. You play back to avoid the deep fly ball landing like it did.

4 hours ago, Ripken said:

Not a big fan of letting a routine, 9th inning, 6-4-3 double play ball go to centerfield because the SS is grossly out of position near 3rd.

Lol, where was the 3B? Was it a lefty or righty up? I am having a hard time getting my head around a shift where the SS is playing 3B