Jorge Lopez 2021

Il BuonO

3 hours ago, interloper said:

Here's my thing though. Is it fair to say he ran out of gas after allowing only his 3rd hit of the game? Obviously we know his numbers the 3rd time through the order so I don't really fault yanking him. But it's kind of like... so what, he allowed 2 base runners in the inning. He was at 75 pitches, I kind of want to see if he can get that 3rd out. But again, I also totally get yanking him. I just don't know if I always buy the argument that "because it's the 5th inning, the fact that he allowed baserunners means he's gassed". I feel like that's a little bit of a false equivalence at times. At times! Not always. 

I didn’t watch the game, but to me the two walks are as relevant as the hit he allowed, maybe more.   When pitchers get tired, command starts to go.   

4 hours ago, NCRaven said:

If we were scoring runs and had a lead, he probably would have at least finished the fifth.  One of the problems is that our offense is bad and games are so tight that if he pitcher falters at all in the fourth or fifth, Hyde feels like he has to make a change to keep us from falling further behind.  Winning 5-0, giving up two in the fifth is no big deal.  Tied 0-0 or up/down 1-0 it's huge.

And, again.  No offense.  If we’re up a few runs Lopez finishes the sixth.  Mountcastle gets hot, the rest of the offense goes to sleep, and starting pitchers not named Means get pulled early get pulled early.

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Threw a higher percentage of strikes tonight than Means did in his no no.

They briefly mentioned on the radio broadcast then I looked it up: Lopez took a perfect game into the 9th in 2018, was his 7th career start.

11 hours ago, Frobby said:

I didn’t watch the game, but to me the two walks are as relevant as the hit he allowed, maybe more.   When pitchers get tired, command starts to go.   

You missed a good one.  Lopez was dealing and so was the pen.

17 minutes ago, wildcard said:

You missed a good one.  Lopez was dealing and so was the pen.

I was talking about a previous game.   I managed to see Lopez pitch the 4th and 5th, saw Mancini’s HR in the 6th, and saw Valdez get the last out in the 9th, sprinkled in among other evening activities.   And, I watched all of Gloatfest (which is my name for the postgame show after a win).

I really liked the fact that after Lopez allowed the leadoff double in the 5th, he got ahead 0-2 on the next three batters and made pitchers pitches to record the outs. Definitely a great confidence builder for him.   When he’s looking good, he looks really good.  

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I was talking about a previous game.   I managed to see Lopez pitch the 4th and 5th, saw Mancini’s HR in the 6th, and saw Valdez get the last out in the 9th, sprinkled in among other evening activities.   And, I watched all of Gloatfest (which is my name for the postgame show after a win).

I really liked the fact that after Lopez allowed the leadoff double in the 5th, he got ahead 0-2 on the next three batters and made pitchers pitches to record the outs. Definitely a great confidence builder for him.   When he’s looking good, he looks really good.  

Even Cora was impressed with "Lopie" (from Trezza's wrap):

“He was really good, the best I’ve seen him,” Red Sox manager Alex Cora said. “I know this kid from back home [in Puerto Rico], and he was amazing.”

https://www.mlb.com/news/jorge-lopez-orioles-avoid-sweep-vs-red-sox?game_pk=634176

4 minutes ago, UMDTerrapins said:

Pitcher wins has to be the worst statistic in the sport. López holds one of the best teams to one run two outs into the 6th inning. The guy who relieves him and retires one batter gets the win. 

They haven't fixed it because of inertia. Would be so much better if they simply redefined the win as going to whomever on the winning team the official scorer deems to have pitched the best.  I can hear the rebuttal: "that's too subjective for me!"  Of course the current rule is stupid, and clearly and obviously gives the win to the wrong guy on a regular basis.  But that's the way it was in 1920 and that's the way it'll always be!

17 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

They haven't fixed it because of inertia. Would be so much better if they simply redefined the win as going to whomever on the winning team the official scorer deems to have pitched the best.  I can hear the rebuttal: "that's too subjective for me!"  Of course the current rule is stupid, and clearly and obviously gives the win to the wrong guy on a regular basis.  But that's the way it was in 1920 and that's the way it'll always be!

In 1920, 88% of all decisions went to starting pitchers.   Last year, 63%.

Honestly, it’s a subject I just can’t get worked up about.   We have so many stats today, it’s not like anyone is evaluating pitchers primarily based on wins.   And, the way the game is played today, the career and season records for wins will never be challenged, and even the standards for what is a compelling total are ever-shrinking.   So at this point it’s more of a novelty stat than anything else.   Yeah I still look at pitcher wins and losses, and I expect I always will.    54-year habits are hard to break.    But I don’t assign them the level of importance I once did.  

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Frobby said:

In 1920, 88% of all decisions went to starting pitchers.   Last year, 63%.

Honestly, it’s a subject I just can’t get worked up about.   We have so many stats today, it’s not like anyone is evaluating pitchers primarily based on wins.   And, the way the game is played today, the career and season records for wins will never be challenged, and even the standards for what is a compelling total are ever-shrinking.   So at this point it’s more of a novelty stat than anything else.   Yeah I still look at pitcher wins and losses, and I expect I always will.    54-year habits are hard to break.    But I don’t assign them the level of importance I once did.  

Not a huge deal, but it's still the first stat everyone looks at.  Even on Fangraphs, first box for any pitcher, year, team, level, age... then Wins and Losses.  And it's broken.

The thing is, you never know how a game turns out.

You could argue that the most important out of the night was Scott striking out Devers.  Maybe if Lopez stays in, he gives up a hit or even a homer and the team ends up losing.  

The win stat is dumb in a lot of ways but it becomes more difficult to change it because you don’t know what the outcome would be otherwise.