Keegan Akin 2021

Il BuonO

9 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

He struck out three, walked two.  

I don’t Know what quality of contact was being made on his pictures, but if he’s getting up a lot of soft contact, I don’t care that he doesn’t strike out a lot of guys. That he only walked two indicates either a very generous umpire, or excellent accuracy and command within the zone.

Just now, Philip said:

I don’t Know what quality of contact was being made on his pictures, but if he’s getting up a lot of soft contact, I don’t care that he doesn’t strike out a lot of guys. That he only walked two indicates either a very generous umpire, or excellent accuracy and command within the zone.

Well, you should care.

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well, you should care.

Well, like I said, if he’s giving up a lot of hard outs that’s a problem but if he’s giving up a lot of soft contact, that’s not a problem.

Meanwhile, you know who strikes out almost 12 guys per nine innings? Tanner Scott, that’s who.

I do not worship at the altar of strike out rate.

1 minute ago, Philip said:

Well, like I said, if he’s giving up a lot of hard outs that’s a problem but if he’s giving up a lot of soft contact, that’s not a problem.

Meanwhile, you know who strikes out almost 12 guys per nine innings? Tanner Scott, that’s who.

I do not worship at the altar of strike out rate.

I don't feel like explaining to you why strikeouts are important in this day and age.  I'm in a good mood, the NFL starts today.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I would think that someone that obsesses over poor defense would realize how important strike out rate is.

There's nothing like the oldfangled baseball fan who refuses to understand the changes in the way the game is played and how certain things become more important as time passes.

I get it, too.  I mean, I'd rather have the game like it was in the 80s.  Lower strikeout rate, more balls in play, more action.  But the natural evolution of the game has ushered in pitching where guys are consistently in the upper 90s with wipeout sliders.  

But, whatever.  You're correct, someone that obsesses over poor defense should comprehend why strikeouts matter.  And someone who's obsessing over hard contact vs. soft contact should understand how strikeouts correlate, too.

8 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

There's nothing like the oldfangled baseball fan who refuses to understand the changes in the way the game is played and how certain things become more important as time passes.

I get it, too.  I mean, I'd rather have the game like it was in the 80s.  Lower strikeout rate, more balls in play, more action.  But the natural evolution of the game has ushered in pitching where guys are consistently in the upper 90s with wipeout sliders.  

But, whatever.  You're correct, someone that obsesses over poor defense should comprehend why strikeouts matter.  And someone who's obsessing over hard contact vs. soft contact should understand how strikeouts correlate, too.

I understand the problems of increased contact rate and lousy Defense. I Once again point to Mr. Scott as a sterling example of why strikeouts aren’t everything.

but the point is that Akin ISNT a high strikeout guy. You can never force somebody to be something they are not. You have to help somebody excel within their own parameters. That means a better defense, of course, but that’s another issue.

If a guy gives up a lot of soft contact, I don’t care if he doesn’t strike out very many guys. If he’s giving up a lot of hard contact, that’s another story but no, I don’t care that Akin didn’t strike out a dozen guys yesterday. I care that he only walked two guys, and overall it was a good outing.

12 minutes ago, Philip said:

I understand the problems of increased contact rate and lousy Defense. I Once again point to Mr. Scott as a sterling example of why strikeouts aren’t everything.

but the point is that Akin ISNT a high strikeout guy. You can never force somebody to be something they are not. You have to help somebody excel within their own parameters. That means a better defense, of course, but that’s another issue.

If a guy gives up a lot of soft contact, I don’t care if he doesn’t strike out very many guys. If he’s giving up a lot of hard contact, that’s another story but no, I don’t care that Akin didn’t strike out a dozen guys yesterday. I care that he only walked two guys, and overall it was a good outing.

Tanner Scott has other issues that are preventing him from becoming a lockdown bullpen piece.  Strikeouts aren't the most important thing, but they're still important.

You'll understand when Akin reverts back to pitching the way he was earlier on.

15 minutes ago, Philip said:

Akin struck out three batters in six innings yesterday, good for a 4.5 K/9

Can you show me one pitcher who has had success in MLB over the past couple of years with a 4.5 K/9?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

Akin struck out three batters in six innings yesterday, good for a 4.5 K/9

Can you show me one pitcher who has had success in MLB over the past couple of years with a 4.5 K/9?

You can try, but good luck.  He'd prefer to appear to be the thinking man's fan by pretending that hard contact vs. soft contact is some inside info that makes him smarter than the rest of us.

I'm not sure why I'm trying to convince him, you can't convince someone who doesn't have an open mind.  Plus kickoff is in 45 minutes or so.