The second guessing Hyde thread.

Moose Milligan

Hyde's job is to put his players/pitchers into the situation that allows them the best chance to succeed. Armstrong hadn't pitched against live competition in what, a week or more? He was coming off Paternity leave. 

I was very critical at the time when he brought him in to the game, but Lopez had lost it. It was the 5th inning so honestly, that's probably Armstrong's role to get that out. Once it was 6-0, what I can't understand why he decided to use Fry in the 6th instead of starting the Sceroler with a clean inning to make his major league debut. It's almost unfathomable that a manager would start off a Rule 5 draft picks major league debut with the bases loaded and Judge up to bat down 7-0. 

Grant it, Sceroler got Judge out on one of the worse takes I think I've ever seen, but it was a crazy managerial decision. Yes, I get that Fry sucked, but how do you do that to the young man? It was just a lack of foresight by Hyde to put Sceroler into that situation.

Oh well, nothing like a Yankees game to bring everyone back to reality. The Orioles literally poop their game pants when they walk into that stadium. Never seen a team so intimidated by another team. What is that 11 straight losses?

Oh well, tomorrow is another day. 

• Upvote 2

To some extent it is the managers job to prepare the team for the series in NY, knowing that there has been an inferiority  complex by Baltimore about the Yanks for a very long time.  Once again the Orioles were not prepared for this NY series.  Very disappointing to see such a thing happen again, esp. since they were playing good ball going in.   

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Hyde's job is to put his players/pitchers into the situation that allows them the best chance to succeed. Armstrong hadn't pitched against live competition in what, a week or more? He was coming off Paternity leave. 

I was very critical at the time when he brought him in to the game, but Lopez had lost it. It was the 5th inning so honestly, that's probably Armstrong's role to get that out. Once it was 6-0, what I can't understand why he decided to use Fry in the 6th instead of starting the Sceroler with a clean inning to make his major league debut. It's almost unfathomable that a manager would start off a Rule 5 draft picks major league debut with the bases loaded and Judge up to bat down 7-0. 

Grant it, Sceroler got Judge out on one of the worse takes I think I've ever seen, but it was a crazy managerial decision. Yes, I get that Fry sucked, but how do you do that to the young man? It was just a lack of foresight by Hyde to put Sceroler into that situation.

Oh well, nothing like a Yankees game to bring everyone back to reality. The Orioles literally poop their game pants when they walk into that stadium. Never seen a team so intimidated by another team. What is that 11 straight losses?

We won’t agree and that’s fine. I think it’s fun to talk strategy. 

Hyde said after game he only wanted to use Fry for one inning. Wanted him available for tomorrow. If he waits to use Fry in 8th and he struggles then what? Then he has to get someone else up and use them in a blowout. By starting Fry he has Sceroler who he can burn rest of way. 

. Not going to be easier tomorrow vs Cole. 

15 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Once it was 6-0, what I can't understand why he decided to use Fry in the 6th instead of starting the Sceroler with a clean inning to make his major league debut. It's almost unfathomable that a manager would start off a Rule 5 draft picks major league debut with the bases loaded and Judge up to bat down 7-0. 

I agree with you but man did he step up.  Good for him.  Huge moment for his career.

21 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

This is so funny and yet so true. I'm tired of going into Yankee Stadium and knowing we have barely a shot to win. Also, bringing Armstrong in was NOT the right move. 

A few musings:

- Does Hyde or Elias make the in-game calls?

- We aren’t trying to win

- Maybe Hyde’s job is to be the Chris Davis bouncer?

- The Yankees are in our head

Edited by milbest77

2 hours ago, eddie83 said:

As far as pen goes we know this 

Scott/Valdez high leverage/late

Armstrong/Fry/Tate/Plutko middle/set up 

Wells/Sceroler/LeBlanc long/mop up

At end of day the middle group is going to have to get some big outs this year. At some point can’t hide last group all the time either.

Pure guess on my part maybe he thought Armstrong would have some mojo after the baby. Once again that was a rough spot for him. I still think Hicks swung. 

Exactly.  So close to getting out of the inning there.  Either by calling that a swing or just a bit better pitch on one of the balls.

Then even if Stanton homers it's the next inning and solo and it's just 2-0 in the 6th.  Whole different game.

Game of inches.  Armstrong is one of our better relievers.  He wasn't hurt, just on paternity leave.  If hes not ready to pitch he shouldn't be on the roster.

59 minutes ago, milbest77 said:

A few musings:

- Does Hyde or Elias make the in-game calls?

- Maybe Hyde’s job is to be the Chris Davis bouncer?

- The Yankees are in our head

There’s a big difference between not spending money/aggressively promoting prospects to put a competitive team on the field (which the Orioles are doing) vs actively and intentionally making bad decisions in game in an attempt to lose said game (which the Orioles are NOT doing)

• Upvote 1

The game was already lost when the Yankees had a 6-0 lead.  Even if Stanton hadn't homered, they weren't winning this game.  Good to see Sceroler step up.  Looks like he can be a valuable bullpen piece.  Better luck tomorrow. 

Good job of Hyde saving the bullpen for a game the O's have a chance to win.  Buck did this all the time and it was one of his best traits. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Two quick things:

I like Brandon Hyde.  I hope he's given the chance to manage this team once we've acquired/grown better talent.

I typically can't stand armchair managing.  Everyone behind a keyboard is always a genius and always knows better.  

That said...

WTF was Hyde thinking when he brought in Armstrong who hasn't had any action in a week to face Stanton with the bases loaded?

And WTF was he thinking bringing Sceroler in to make his ML debut against Judge with the bases loaded?  Even though Sceroler got out of it, the move just didn't make sense.  I suppose if you're waving the white flag and giving up on this game, sure.  But don't set your pitcher up to fail, even if the game is a bit out of hand.

What's most aggravating about this is that the game wasn't out of hand yet when he brought in (an ice cold) Armstrong. Sure, he could have induced a ground ball or a popup, but I agree with your logic. And without a crystal ball, you don't know you're getting shut out yet. So in a close game, I would have also liked to see a different call. Or even letting Lopez try to get out of it himself. 

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

This is more Elias second guessing.

I’d really like to see us bring Renato Nunez back. This lineup is a little light/weak right now. Especially vs LHP. 

Drop a reliever then play the option game if need be. 

No. Nunez offers almost nothing.

• Like 1

This is game 4 of a 162 game season.

A bit too early in the season for this type of "game anaylize", for me.

Yes, it was the MFY, and that makes it so much worse, and sure snapped the joy out of a sweep in Beantown.

This is team is going to have us standing on our feet clapping at their accomplishments one minute, and wonder if they are the reincarnated bad news bears, the next.