The second guessing Hyde thread.

Moose Milligan

I can get not using Bautista in the 10th. That's a move you make sometimes but can't do every time over the course of a year.

I really didn't like cancelling the Santander pinch-hit for Mateo to bunt. I don't think Mateo gets that bunt down a high enough percentage of the time to be worth it.

They have used same strategy all year Bautista is going to go 1 inning unless it becomes a save situation.  Baumann is 9-0 with a few  of wins coming in the 10th inning in this exact situation.  It just didn’t work tonight but the 2-14 with runners in scoring position was the reason we lost along with Jays bullpen being very good.  

Man if I had as hard of a time hitting and the foot speed of Mateo, I'd be practicing bunting until my hands bled. I disagreed with Hyde not bringing Bautista back for the 10th as well. I can understand saving him for the rest of the series but you might get blown out of those games. Have to try to get this one while it's in reach. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Weird. Hyde has usually gone to FB for the 9th and 10th in these situations. I did not like that call. Also bunting Mateo with a man on 1st... I don't like giving up the out there even if it's successful and Mateo just never looks comfortable bunting. 

Bautista has never came back out for a second inning with the game tied,  He has come back out 3 times if we were leading but Hyde has said on a number of occasions he will only bring him back if they have the lead.  

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I’d have sent Bautista back out, especially if Baumann had to be the guy to go in after him. 

And it’s not like Bautista has pitched much in the past week. That’s what I don’t understand. He threw like 10 pitches Saturday night and then the time before that was last Monday. Unless there was some other reason we don’t know about, just think it was a stupid decision. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

I’d have sent Bautista back out, especially if Baumann had to be the guy to go in after him. 

(From the game thread) I'd be okay with sending Bautista back out there just because he's had 2 days rest and had only thrown 9 pitches.  That said, if you don't want to use him there, not many options.  That's why IMO should have gotten another arm at the deadline.  Elias must have felt the offers were too much, but in so he's taking a risk on Hall and Wells.  In the meantime we have to get by with a lesser reliever like Baumann who you don't feel good about in a close game.