The second guessing Hyde thread.

Moose Milligan

33 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Questioning who started games 2 and 3 is pretty lame too. The only real debate on starters before the series was starting Gibson or Kremer in game 3, but most of us realized it didn’t really matter too much. 

The pitchers didn’t execute. It’s that simple. The worst decision he made was pitching Baker. That was outrageous. 

And then sticking with him through three walks; the first out wd have allowed Hyde to pull Baker after two walks. It's like Buck sticking with Scherzer through four home runs in the '22 postseason.

Just now, kaj21206 said:

I can dream, can't I?  The is a crappy day for me.  I'm at work surrounded by Phillies fans.  My boss came to my office to gloat.  So in my dreams Hicks gets the hit and we win game one.  You are right that there was no guarantee that the hit & run works.  

Pretty safe bet that if he swung the end result wouldn't have been worse than what happened.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'd say the 2013 team was better than the 2012 team.

It all depends on how you define better.  They had a better run differential.  They didn’t perform as well in close games, partly because the bullpen wasn’t as good.  Next year’s team also will be hard pressed to perform as well in close games as this one did.

On 10/11/2023 at 11:34 PM, Just Regular said:

Jomboy did a breakdown of the key Game 1 play.    Towards the end he had a montage of only about 10 hit-and-run plays prior to full count he could find on the season, and it didn't look like a single one got the normal good outcome you hope for sometimes.

Good breakdown but I'm not super convinced by his "research". Did he really watch 500+ hours of our games to find all the times we sent the runner? I have to think that would be in the 100's of plays. There have definitely been times it has been successful although I can't recall top of head. He also included a bunch of foul balls which aren't really failure cases.