The second guessing Hyde thread.

Moose Milligan

I guess they asked  From the Baltimore  Sun:

With first base open, manager Brandon Hyde considered the possibility of walking Guerrero. But Bautista isn’t a ground-ball pitcher, reducing the possibility of a double-play ball. And there aren’t any slouches following Guerrero, with Alejandro Kirk and Teoscar Hernández due up next.

So Hyde gambled with Bautista’s 100 mph fastball and can live with coming out on the wrong end.

“Give Vladdy credit,” Hyde said. “He got on top of 100.”

50 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

I guess they asked  From the Baltimore  Sun:

With first base open, manager Brandon Hyde considered the possibility of walking Guerrero. But Bautista isn’t a ground-ball pitcher, reducing the possibility of a double-play ball. And there aren’t any slouches following Guerrero, with Alejandro Kirk and Teoscar Hernández due up next.

So Hyde gambled with Bautista’s 100 mph fastball and can live with coming out on the wrong end.

“Give Vladdy credit,” Hyde said. “He got on top of 100.”

Yep. @Frobbyand others...below is from Melewski. Not exactly an illuminating reply from Hyde. 

Why not just walk him: As Guerrero came up in the 10th, the placed runner, Bo Bichette, was on second base. The Orioles could have just walked Guerrero, since his run didn’t mean anything, and put runners on first and second with no outs for Alejandro Kirk.

“Yeah, there is (some thought to that),” said Hyde. “I mean (Félix) Bautista is not a groundball guy. Throws 101 mph. If the count goes a little deeper, possibly. He’s got some really good hitters behind him. Give Vlad the credit, he got on top of 100.”

2 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

Yep. @Frobbyand others...below is from Melewski. Not exactly an illuminating reply from Hyde. 

Why not just walk him: As Guerrero came up in the 10th, the placed runner, Bo Bichette, was on second base. The Orioles could have just walked Guerrero, since his run didn’t mean anything, and put runners on first and second with no outs for Alejandro Kirk.

“Yeah, there is (some thought to that),” said Hyde. “I mean (Félix) Bautista is not a groundball guy. Throws 101 mph. If the count goes a little deeper, possibly. He’s got some really good hitters behind him. Give Vlad the credit, he got on top of 100.”

Sure. Who would have guessed that Vlad Jr. might turn on and drive a fastball?   :rolleyes:

12 hours ago, Frobby said:

I HATED the decision to leave Tate in at the start of the 9th.  They’d already had Lopez warming up.  Just bring him in.  I would hsve guaranteed you that he was going to have to come in mid-inning if they left Tate in.  I hate, hate, hate managing to the save rule.   

Or was he trying to stay away from using Lopez with a sizable lead so that he’d be available today or tomorrow.

Having said that, I have little faith in Tate anyway.

13 hours ago, Frobby said:

I HATED the decision to leave Tate in at the start of the 9th.  They’d already had Lopez warming up.  Just bring him in.  I would hsve guaranteed you that he was going to have to come in mid-inning if they left Tate in.  I hate, hate, hate managing to the save rule.   

Or, if you want to rest Lopez, leave Tate in and let him finish it. Bringing in Lopez after starting with Tate resulted in the worst of both worlds!

13 hours ago, Frobby said:

Agreed, bad move there by Hyde. Tate wasn't pitching that well in the 8th but got through it with some great defense. No need to bring him out to start the 9th after Lopez was warmed up. 

1 hour ago, NCRaven said:

Or was he trying to stay away from using Lopez with a sizable lead so that he’d be available today or tomorrow.

Having said that, I have little faith in Tate anyway.

Yeah that was the goal but the goal seemed unlikely to be reached. Tate has had some struggles lately, and a second inning is always tougher. It’s dumb to change your plan based on 1 extra run coming in. If the plan was to leave Tate in regardless, that’s one thing. But it shouldn’t change based on whether it’s 3-0 or 4-0. 

42 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Or, if you want to rest Lopez, leave Tate in and let him finish it. Bringing in Lopez after starting with Tate resulted in the worst of both worlds!

Well, losing the game would have been the worst of all worlds.   

I don't blame him for starting the 9th with Tate.  He didn't take him out after putting one runner on, but with two runners on and the potential for turning this into a one run game, I'm glad he took Tate out when he did.  And, I'm glad Lopez is a guy that I feel Hyde can rely on to close.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...