The second guessing Hyde thread.

Moose Milligan

9 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Why was O’Hearn stealing last night in the 9th inning?  I mean there’s no reason why he did steal then run back to the first base. Almost a Jack Cust moment. 

Did everyone forget the count?  O’Hearn almost had a Jack Cust type of blooper. 

To avoid force out? His check swing on 3-0 was even worse.  

• Upvote 1

It was defensive indifference.  If they're not even trying, no reason to take second and eliminate the force out there.  I would think that O'Hearn thought the pitch was fouled off and he turned to go back to first before realizing the ball was still in play.

6 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Why was O’Hearn stealing last night in the 9th inning?  I mean there’s no reason why he did steal then run back to the first base. Almost a Jack Cust moment. 

Did everyone forget the count?  O’Hearn almost had a Jack Cust type of blooper. 

he wasn't stealing, he was taking a base that the opponent was clearly giving him. The issue is he saw the ball had gotten away from the catcher, and thought for whatever reason that it was because it had been fouled off.

I don't understand the scoring on the play.  If it was initially scored that he took second on defensive indifference and he then wandered of second back toward first (apparently thinking it had been a foul ball), then why wouldn't the throw into CF allowing him to get back to second be simply considered an unsuccessful pick off attempt, rather than a caught stealing and an error?  He already had achieved second base.  No additional advancement occurred, right?

24 minutes ago, Number5 said:

I don't understand the scoring on the play.  If it was initially scored that he took second on defensive indifference and he then wandered of second back toward first (apparently thinking it had been a foul ball), then why wouldn't the throw into CF allowing him to get back to second be simply considered an unsuccessful pick off attempt, rather than a caught stealing and an error?  He already had achieved second base.  No additional advancement occurred, right?

The Reds announcers explained that a base is not officially taken until the ball is returned to the pitcher, so it became a stolen base attempt when the team tried to throw him out. Think about when a guy overslides the bag and is tagged out on his way back, similar situation here. 

55 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

The Reds announcers explained that a base is not officially taken until the ball is returned to the pitcher, so it became a stolen base attempt when the team tried to throw him out. Think about when a guy overslides the bag and is tagged out on his way back, similar situation here. 

Think about every time you've seen the catcher's throw go into center field.  I have never seen that called a caught stealing with an error.  Never.  Even if was pretty clear that a good throw would have gotten the runner, it is always a stolen base.  An error is only given if the overthrow allows a runner to take an additional base.  Sorry, but the caught stealing with an error ruling goes against normal scoring, and really is not similar to over-sliding the base at all in my view..  

50 minutes ago, Number5 said:

Think about every time you've seen the catcher's throw go into center field.  I have never seen that called a caught stealing with an error.  Never.  Even if was pretty clear that a good throw would have gotten the runner, it is always a stolen base.  An error is only given if the overthrow allows a runner to take an additional base.  Sorry, but the caught stealing with an error ruling goes against normal scoring, and really is not similar to over-sliding the base at all in my view..  

It was definitely an error in this case because it should have been such an easy play. And an attempt was made so it was no longer indifference. Weird play but there is no category for "should have been defensive indifference but wasn't"

12 minutes ago, Fan4Life said:

Day off tomorrow, should have brought Felix back out in the 10th. Not sour grapes.. was thinking this as soon as I saw Akin warming up.

4 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I don’t think he will ever bring Felix back out after he throws 22 pitches in the previous inning.

Yeah, didn't mind that. I was hoping Felix would get a 10-15 pitch 9th to justify sending him back out. 

But at 22 pitches, sending him out means a decent chance he throws ~40. It's a long season. 

• Upvote 1