Losing Loewen?

tywright

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm pretty apathetic towards this whole thing. I would have liked to see Loewen make it back as an O', but the chances of that were extremely slim as it was anyway. I don't think that this really makes a difference in the scheme of things, except that it would have made for some nice PR if he made it back.

I wish Adam all the best in returning to the majors.

I dont think anyone saw this coming.

We should have just DFAed him and the Blue Jays would have had to claim him from us. If he cleared waivers, he would HAVE to report to the Orioles.

I dont mind that Loewen signed elsewhere, but I hate that we put our resources into helping him. I wish he would have been a man and at least say he wanted to go to the BJs.

Yeah, I've lost a lot of respect for the lad after this bs move.

I dont think anyone saw this coming.

We should have just DFAed him and the Blue Jays would have had to claim him from us. If he cleared waivers, he would HAVE to report to the Orioles.

I dont mind that Loewen signed elsewhere, but I hate that we put our resources into helping him. I wish he would have been a man and at least say he wanted to go to the BJs.

And his salary as an Oriole minor leaguer would be what? What would be the most the team could reduce his salary for 2009 too?

Why couldn't they have just brought him in a signed some sort of posted dated contract? If Loewen refuses, then you don't release him because its obvious what is going to take place. If he or his agent try to complain to MLB, tear it up and throw it in the fireplace or just deny it was post dated.

This has the earmark of a long-term vendetta. I doubt it stops with Burnett. The right people are really steamed.

If that's the case, then pick him up in the Rule V. Bring him into big league camp, and still let's see what he can do. If we have to give him back, oh well, it just some time that he couldn't work with the Blue Jays.

Also, might he even be eligible for the minor league Rule V?

This is one of the most classless moves I've ever seen. I always thought Loewen was one of the best "people" on the team. Completely ridiculous. I hope he fails. He got millions for doing nothing, and felt no obligation to ever earn any of the money he made.

If that's the case, then pick him up in the Rule V. Bring him into big league camp, and still let's see what he can do. If we have to give him back, oh well, it just some time that he couldn't work with the Blue Jays.

Also, might he even be eligible for the minor league Rule V?

Unfortunately, I dont believe he is eligible for the Rule 5 draft because he only had 2 full seasons and parts of 3 seasons that barely equal one season.

Good strategy though, but I wouldnt want to waste a 40 man roster spot on him.

Why couldn't they have just brought him in a signed some sort of posted dated contract? If Loewen refuses, then you don't release him because its obvious what is going to take place. If he or his agent try to complain to MLB, tear it up and throw it in the fireplace or just deny it was post dated.

So your solution is to do something blatantly illegal under the CBA? Not mine.

Looks like we have some people who want to blame Loewen (the traitor) the Front Office (another busted 1st round pick) or Canada (and that :cussing: Anne Murray too).

I personally think all of this will wind up being a non-issue and don't really care who is to blame. Sure makes for interesting TV though.

Archived